• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When brake pads go bad.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I had to work on my Buddy's 2000 Focus this weekend because the brakes were grinding. It turns out the calipers have a pretty poor design. They built the caliper bigger than the pads and then just held the pads in place with some spring clip thingies. Why they didn't just build the caliper to fit the pads perfectly is beyond me.

So we've been having a lot of snow here the last couple months and it seems some snow got inside the wheel and knocked the pad out of place and he just drove on it all winter without realizing it, until now.

This pad came off the inside of the driver side caliper.

That side of the rotor was almost completely worn down to the inner ribs. I'll post pics of the caliper tomorrow after work.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Don't see too many problems with the front brakes on Focus' at all really....

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't see too many problems with the front brakes on Focus' at all really....
What are the advantages of having the clip type system the focus uses? Why go with that design over just a caliper that fits tight over the pads?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Dunno, I'm not the engineer!

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
What are the advantages of having the clip type system the focus uses? Why go with that design over just a caliper that fits tight over the pads?
The clips are *supposed* to grip the bore of the puck tight enough to pull the pad back off the rotor when the brake pedal is released, as opposed to just having them float free in the caliper.

I've never seen one do that before - at least to that extent, and I've worked on a LOT of brakes in my 50 years. Are you sure those are the correct pads?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I agree that looks wrong somehow. I would get new rotors calipers and pads including new necessary hardware before I would put something like that back together. Brakes are the single most important part of any vehicle. I just did the front brakes complete on my jeep cherokee for about $175 in parts and took 2 hrs, I took my time.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Without seeing exactly what the set up is, this is kind of a general statement. But I always replace any of the hardware I can like clips and pins. And then I always lube the pins, guides, etc. This looks like it might have been a case of no caliper grease.

Also, I would recommend buying good pads. I don't know what brand those are, but I know the Valucraft pads my friends and I put on a beater Crown Vic we had were damn near shot after the month or so we had it. We did kick the piss out of it, but we seriously only had it for 4 or 5 weeks before it got sold for scrap. Damn the thought of that car brings back some good memories.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree that looks wrong somehow. I would get new rotors calipers and pads including new necessary hardware before I would put something like that back together. Brakes are the single most important part of any vehicle. I just did the front brakes complete on my jeep cherokee for about $175 in parts and took 2 hrs, I took my time.
The rotor was completely shot so I replaced that along with the pads. Yes I'm sure I had the correct pads, and the clips/spring type things come attached to the pads when you buy them.

I didn't replace the caliper but if this turns into a reoccurring problem it's my next step.

:icon_confused:

This whole thing just has me baffled.

On a side note, I can't seem to find a parts website that sells the little dust cap thingie that covers the bolt holding the rear drum on. Can anybody tell me the proper name of it and where to buy them?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The phenolic piston in the caliper can get a little cocked in the cylinder causing the pads to wear according. Steel pistons last longer it could be the last time the brakes were done the rotors were not replaced or turned causing the pads to wear uneven along with the piston in the caliper.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So I had to work on my Buddy's 2000 Focus this weekend because the brakes were grinding. It turns out the calipers have a pretty poor design. They built the caliper bigger than the pads and then just held the pads in place with some spring clip thingies. Why they didn't just build the caliper to fit the pads perfectly is beyond me.

So we've been having a lot of snow here the last couple months and it seems some snow got inside the wheel and knocked the pad out of place and he just drove on it all winter without realizing it, until now.

This pad came off the inside of the driver side caliper.

That side of the rotor was almost completely worn down to the inner ribs. I'll post pics of the caliper tomorrow after work.
eh. looks good to me :dunno:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Yes I'm sure I had the correct pads, and the clips/spring type things come attached to the pads when you buy them.
What brand and type of pads are they?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i agree topher, its a poor design that leaves the door open for a failure such as the one you have...... but after looking at your pic and a pic of the pads on my shelf, how exactly did the inner pad get enough clearance to disengage the piston clip and allow it to be pushed to the top of the caliper? the few failures i have seen have all occured with the outer pad, when the steel wire clip comes loose from the cast nibs on the caliper(these cases may have just been improper install of the clips on the nibs). as for the plastic plugs that keep the crap out of the mounting bolts, i believe those are a 1 time part as i havent seen them listed in the aftermarket parts industry, but the dealer may be able to order them, in say a bag of 10-100?

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree topher, its a poor design that leaves the door open for a failure such as the one you have...... but after looking at your pic and a pic of the pads on my shelf, how exactly did the inner pad get enough clearance to disengage the piston clip and allow it to be pushed to the top of the caliper? the few failures i have seen have all occured with the outer pad, when the steel wire clip comes loose from the cast nibs on the caliper(these cases may have just been improper install of the clips on the nibs). as for the plastic plugs that keep the crap out of the mounting bolts, i believe those are a 1 time part as i havent seen them listed in the aftermarket parts industry, but the dealer may be able to order them, in say a bag of 10-100?

The outer clip was cracked but still seated. I think the piston clip was bent somehow, I'll check it next time I'm in the garage.

I was looking at rockauto and it seems the higher end pads actually have a spring on them to take up the extra space in the caliper.

If I'm the one doing his next pad change I'll give those a try.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals