• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's going to happen when: device no longer supported

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
having a situation with my laptop and an old printer has given me reason for concern about when these new computer controls everything vehicles get a few years on them.
Will they simply drop off the supported list?

there are Fords from the early 1900s that still run and drive.
will there be any vehicle from 2022 that will be allowed to run in 2072?

I can see it now, one of Rusty's grandsons will be running a business where he drives a then antique 460 powered F250 hauling
well preserved but now worthless 2022 vehicles to the scrapper.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMO... it won't be good.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well ... Sad but true nostradamus

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the 5 year old now will be modding these trucks. They will be so far advanced in understanding computerese that these onboard systems will look like obd1. If there was interest in modding printers you can be sure there would be a thriving market supplying parts for those printers. Speaking of printers, 3D printers will be producing the parts no longer supplied by the oem or aftermarket.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the 5 year old now will be modding these trucks. They will be so far advanced in understanding computerese that these onboard systems will look like obd1. If there was interest in modding printers you can be sure there would be a thriving market supplying parts for those printers. Speaking of printers, 3D printers will be producing the parts no longer supplied by the oem or aftermarket.
They could sure step it up because right now there are a lot of parts out there that neither OEM or aftermarket is making. Even stupid crap like filters are nip and tuck to get right now.

Electrical stuff generally you get around 10 years of OEM support out of. After that like for a module you have to hope it is common enough somebody will pick up rebuilding it. 15 years down the road and everybody that accidentally ordered three 5 years ago finally has gotten rid of them and you are SOL.

IMO the electronics and how many different variants one vehicle can have is what will make things complicated in the future. It isn't like a Duraspark module that fits just about every 75-85ish Ford model plus a bunch of AMC's and Mopars where the aftermarket can make millions of the things that fit everything with X engine. When everything is connected everything has to be on the same page and everything is more specialized, not just the part but the programming too.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is what the car companies and govt want. With electronics and updates and whatever else its alot eaiser for them to plan things out to be obsolete.

That way they can keep jacking up car prices and anything over 5 yrs old will be worthless....they want everyone on (eaiser to control) public transport.

Oh another covid lockdown? Shut off the busses. Same thing with bidens bullshit 5billion EV charger stuff they just announced, with them trying their damndest to get everyone into a power wheel, next time they wanna lock us down kill the government ran chargers and presto.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's actually a bit of this happening right now. Most of the vehicles in the last 10 years or so that have some sort of connectivity features are using the 3G frequency. That frequency is being repurposed, so those features are no longer supported. Some OEMs have fixes while others have made no effort and more or less told their customers that they're screwed if they want those features anymore. There may be aftermarket options, but it just depends.

But, the vehicles can still be used for transportation. It's just the Internet related stuff that's in question. Nothing is forcing anybody to use the connectivity features. You can disable the modem in a car just like you can unplug one from the wall of your home. The only question is what features do you lose when that happens?

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what the car companies and govt want. With electronics and updates and whatever else its alot eaiser for them to plan things out to be obsolete.

That way they can keep jacking up car prices and anything over 5 yrs old will be worthless....they want everyone on (eaiser to control) public transport.

Oh another covid lockdown? Shut off the busses. Same thing with bidens bullshit 5billion EV charger stuff they just announced, with them trying their damndest to get everyone into a power wheel, next time they wanna lock us down kill the government ran chargers and presto.
I can kind of see the point in the first half of your post about corporations wanting to keep revenue streams flowing, but the second half where you go all conspiracy theorist doesn't make much sense to me.

There's a lot of push for wider adoption of mass transit because it's better for the environment. That's doesn't mean that they want everybody on a bus, because in the places that most of the people here live, that would lose massive amounts of money running expensive busses or trains for what amounts to very few people. There's not a large enough mass of people in large parts of the US for mass transit to be viable in most of the country.

Even if there are government run public chargers that might be shut off, there are still other charging options that exist. Private charging networks, charging at home, using a generator, etc. Public chargers are used by people that can't charge where they park, and those on long road trips. So, people affected by a shutdown of public chargers would be likely to live in urban areas, or those who would be traveling hundreds of miles from home which aren't a very large number, especially if things are bad enough that there are ongoing lockdowns.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
swap a older sbc/sbf into a otherwise electric chassis. I always thought it would be a funny thing to have a flat head ford in a ranger chassis- but if you thought the 2.0 was underpowered, heres 30 hp instead of 65.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
swap a older sbc/sbf into a otherwise electric chassis. I always thought it would be a funny thing to have a flat head ford in a ranger chassis- but if you thought the 2.0 was underpowered, heres 30 hp instead of 65.
Flatheads made 65 IIRC on their weakest day. Plus considerably more torque then a 2.0. It would surprise ya. Wouldnt be as good as the ranger V6's, but would for sure be punchier then a 2.0/2.3.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Vehicles will be electric and disposable, considered obsolete in 6 months with an overall average life span of 4 years. Just like our cell phones now.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really don't see many "new" cars that will still be drivable in the future. I'm sure it is the same in the auto Industry, but for the marine industry, OEM's do not support their product after a certain point. For instance, Mercury marine's diagnostic software for EFI products of the late 90's, no longer supposed. We have the hardware but the program doesn't run. Their new diagnostic software doesn't back date. However, aftermarket has stepped up to fill the gap, but it is thousands of dollars. How could an individual justify that unless you are in business.
I believe the only cars that will run in the future will be the ones aftermarket has stepped up to support.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
It is the downside of Capitalism, where profit is the mother of invention, and there is probably more profit in selling product over and over again instead of selling a product once and parts for sale to support it.

Same thing with appliances. They used to be a big ticket, once in a generation purchase, but now the Joneses replace them every few years for a new one with more features and technology.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I really don't see many "new" cars that will still be drivable in the future. I'm sure it is the same in the auto Industry, but for the marine industry, OEM's do not support their product after a certain point. For instance, Mercury marine's diagnostic software for EFI products of the late 90's, no longer supposed. We have the hardware but the program doesn't run. Their new diagnostic software doesn't back date. However, aftermarket has stepped up to fill the gap, but it is thousands of dollars. How could an individual justify that unless you are in business.
I believe the only cars that will run in the future will be the ones aftermarket has stepped up to support.
Really? I can still get parts for my 1960 Evinrude 75
It is the downside of Capitalism, where profit is the mother of invention, and there is probably more profit in selling product over and over again instead of selling a product once and parts for sale to support it.

Same thing with appliances. They used to be a big ticket, once in a generation purchase, but now the Joneses replace them every few years for a new one with more features and technology.
Not me.

I just tore my washer apart 2 years ago to replace the tranny. Really surprised how easy it was...took maybe 3 hours. Got a rebuilt case for 130 online. Wife was pissed but i paid 800 bucks for that washer in 2014 and damnit it should last the rest of my life. Regardless if it runs 24/7.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Really? I can still get parts for my 1960 Evinrude 75

Not me.

I just tore my washer apart 2 years ago to replace the tranny. Really surprised how easy it was...took maybe 3 hours. Got a rebuilt case for 130 online. Wife was pissed but i paid 800 bucks for that washer in 2014 and damnit it should last the rest of my life. Regardless if it runs 24/7.
Me either....I replaced the springs for the drum on my washer. scored em cheap on ebay and it only took a few mins. My previous washer is still around too, or just the basket is, it serves as a fire pit.

We ain't the Joneses lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals