• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would you pay for this Turbo Coupe?

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I can't seem to find a website that gives Blue Book values for used vehicles older than 1990. So, in substitution I will poll the infinite wisdom of fellow TRS'ers. :D

Background Story:

I am working on a 1988 X-cab Ranger and I need a powertrain. I decided to go with a 2.3T because turbo engines give me wood. After doing a bit of poking around in the Forced Induction forum and reading up on the various years of donor vehicle types and configurations out there and have decided to go with an '87 or '88 Turbo Coupe.

Now onto the big question. I have found a few TC's around, but only three within my reach.

First one being a rusted out but running '87 for $650.00. Most likely gone since the 16 emails I sent the guy have gone unanswered.

Second one being an '87 with a few rust spots, high mileage and a trashed interior for $1500.00.

Third one, and this is where I need your guys' help, is a freakin' MINT '88 TC with 170,000 miles with no set price. The guy is open to offers. Soooooo, what would you offer him? I don't want to low ball, but I don't want to bust the bank either.

All in all, I would rather not gut a mint TC for a powertrain, but my options are somewhat limited thus far. If it were me I would have the car listed for $3000. The paint is original and pretty much flawless to boot.

Opinions? :beer:

Last edited:

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
look it up on nada.com and go from there

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
They only go back as far as 1990. :icon_thumby:

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
kbb doesnt go back that far but nada will but you will have to go through the vintage or classic cars.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
year and mileage speak dont offer more than 1500. I would start by offering 900 though. BUT he has to through the first number out there. Beat around the bush as long as it takes and make him give you a number starting point first.

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't matter now. The guy with the TC for $650 just emailed me back. Picking it up sometime this week.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tubonium!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Rack one more up for the 2.3T guys!

Damn... It'd be nice to have a mint condition '88 TC though. I'd drive the hell out of it and keep it well taken care of!

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are they really that fast?? i mean, a turbo can kick an engine in the ass, but a t-bird is kinda heavy for a 2.3??

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Rack one more up for the 2.3T guys!

Damn... It'd be nice to have a mint condition '88 TC though. I'd drive the hell out of it and keep it well taken care of!
The one in B.C. is absolutely mint. I honestly don't think I could have hacked it up if I tried. The one I am picking up is a rust bucket and wouldn't pass a safety, so it is fair game! :yahoo:

The guy I am buying it from is a Turbo Coupe freak. He bought a newer ('88 versus '87) one after moving here. Dude said it was his fourth he has owned.

January is shaping up pretty good! :D

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are they really that fast?? i mean, a turbo can kick an engine in the ass, but a t-bird is kinda heavy for a 2.3??
A turbo gives tons of torque. That is what you need for a heavy vehicle. Earth shaking, no. Remember, the 302's in the early Lincolns and some others were only 130hp. The 2.3 turbo is on par with a small V8.:)shady

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I remember an article in Motor Trend magazine in 1988 talking about the T-Bird TC...the headline read "Fastest Production Car" and showed the TC...they were very fast...rated at over 150 MPH (not Kph) and for a 4-banger that was awesome...

The SC version was somewhat better in some ways, but I didn't like the body styling after the TC...they looked too wide...

Anyways, good catch...the swap will do your sex drive wonders...just make sure you check the bolts on your drivers seat and replace them with grade 8's if they aren't up to that level...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals