• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what to look for for a 2.9L to a 4bt swap?

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, I'm curious to see what it would actually take to swap the 2.9L in my ranger for a 4bt cummins.
What should I consider to modify and/or change for something bigger

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
maybe take a look at the 1.9 and 2.0 vw options as well. way better for normalish rangers. i strongly suggest driving a 4bt equipped vehicle before going to the overpriced expense of dealing with one of these rattling monsters. unless you can get a free or really cheap one....

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
As someone who’s had a 4bt powered Explorer, listen to Bobby. It’s not a smooth engine. If you’re building a toy, it’s nothing but fun. I wouldn’t want to be forced to daily drive one.

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
maybe take a look at the 1.9 and 2.0 vw options as well. way better for normalish rangers.
in the long run I came down to term that I want to go overlanding, going up north winter camping and have all the power I could ask for. in that sense the 4bt sounds like it would be the go to, for sure the 1.9 tdi would be good for a daily that wouldn't really see anything else than Canadian city snow and salt, the price for sure sounds better tho.
unless you can get a free or really cheap one....
pretty sure a free 4bt would just be a small mountain of melted cast iron haha. I'm not really time restricted on finding a 4bt so I guess that if I find a good deal on a okay shape 4bt I would go for it and if not then it might not be meant to be done 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t want to be forced to daily drive one.
thats why you need more than 1 lol, one for fun and one to daily/reliable. I'm already considering buying another newer one

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well. My truck is a diesel. Initial plan was 4bt.....way back when they were 1500 to 2000 dollar pullouts.....2000 to 2004 era... Problem was, I maintained several hostess trucks on the side and was well aware of their alternator chucking shenanigans. They are not smooth. I also during that period had a g30 van that was whipped but had a solid running N/A 6.5 with the hd 5088 pump setup. That was in 2008..... I actually made money on the initial swap. Had about 400 in the swap....scrapped the rest for 600 plus....and I got the van for free.... technically free...I traded some free parts and my labor....

Now.....compared to the gas engines that preceded it....It is painfully slow.....and nutless...but steady. That engine went another 5 years before I blew the heads off it and just shy of 500k road miles total ...which is awesome for a 509 block.....The cylinders were mirrored so badly I was amazed it could even start at all in the cold.

So ..15 plus years later it's still clattering along with a variant of the 6.x humvee engine and 4l80 trans. I will drive it anywhere.....just not in a big hurry.

In stock form ...not towing....but unladen... Drag racing it will whoop a 12 valve .... Stock for stock. Which is not saying much....just pointing out it's not the slowest thing ever ... And that since you are not in a hurry ... Check out more options.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals