• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What stock engine components are necessary?

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 Ranger. 2wd carb'd 2.0L.

Will be installed some form of carb'd 302 with a m5od-r2, and a tcase.

Did a little work on the Ranger...
Pulled the motor.

And the transmission.

Now in these pics, what is needed to make a motor run, and what isn't? This will be as bare-bones of a truck as possible. No speedo, no cruise control, no A/C. Just a straight up wheelin' rig.

Pic A:

Pic B:

Pic C:

Pic D:

Pic E: (I don't even know what this is)

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm glad to see you've got your high voltage coil tied into your brake master cylinder, and that box in pic E has something to do with charcoal canister/gas tank fumes/over flow. I dumped it on my carb conversion, plugged it and the return pipe at the gas tank.

Pic A is the heater fan, you can dump it, and sheetmetal over the big hole in the fire wall.

Pic B save it, you need it. or make it a push button start, yada yada.

Pic C wiper motor on left, looks like wires are cut. Center is brake master cylinder you need that. right center is clutch master resovoir, keep that. on right is the coil for your distributor, optional.

Pic D box on fender might have been old ignition control module, did you have EFI? I don't know if you need it or not. dump old hoses.

Pic E when you eliminate it, it opens a lovely place to locate your remote oil filter mount.

Good luck,
JR

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pic A is the heater fan, you can dump it, and sheetmetal over the big hole in the fire wall.
If I do that though, How will I heat the cab? lol I don't wanna be cold.

Pic C wiper motor on left, looks like wires are cut...on right is the coil for your distributor, optional.
Not cut. the go below it, and wrap around it.

Pic D box on fender might have been old ignition control module, did you have EFI? I don't know if you need it or not. dump old hoses.
Carb. To my knowledge this truck never had EFI, but I can't say for sure. I've only had it for the last 30k miles of its life. The first 364k, I don't know much about.

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
Did you edit the first post? didn't it say stripped down for wheelin' with no a/c or speedo? you don't need no stinkin' heat if your strippin' it down! Cowboy up, texas. LOL.

Goodluck,

JR

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you edit the first post? didn't it say stripped down for wheelin' with no a/c or speedo? you don't need no stinkin' heat if your strippin' it down! Cowboy up, texas. LOL.

Goodluck,

JR

I still want a heater! lol. But I may end up blockin' that shit off anyway. I'll just buy a good jacket.

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure what this wire goes to. It wasn't connected to anything. I traced it into the cab, and I think it goes into the A/C controls. maybe the wire that tells the compressor to kick on?

I still have to go take apart the engine wiring harness to see what exactly these two plugs go to.

Passenger side all cleaned up.

Driver's side all cleared out.

It look sooooo empty.

And that little weird lookin' box is gone!

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you hiding your wiring diagrams?

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where are you hiding your wiring diagrams?
Have my wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual. It doesn't help much. I'm getting a lot of it figured out by actually chasing the wires through the truck.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have my wiring diagram in my Chilton's manual. It doesn't help much.
:stop:

Following a wiring diagram in a Chilton's on my '88 when I had my 2.9L was one of the biggest mistakes I've made to date. :icon_thumby: The real diagrams specific to your truck are worth the price. No tracing or guessing, it's already done for you.

Pete

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
:stop:

Following a wiring diagram in a Chilton's on my '88 when I had my 2.9L was one of the biggest mistakes I've made to date. :icon_thumby: The real diagrams specific to your truck are worth the price. No tracing or guessing, it's already done for you.

Pete
Where could I get a better copy of my wiring diagram?

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Library, Helm Inc (http://www.helminc.com), etc. Helm Inc diagrams can usually be found on ebay for cheap. Probably alldatadiy too, but I cringe at the price.
Thanks. I'll look into possibly picking one of those up. If they cost too much, I doubt I will though, because the only part of the stock harness I'm really gonna use is the stuff for the lights. I'm wiring in all aftermarket gauges, because I don't trust the stockers.

wade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I'll look into possibly picking one of those up.
Possibly - nothing! If your doing a conversion you NEED the wiring diagram(s). One for the vehicle your converting and one for the donor. And, Helm,Inc. is the place to go. They provide OEM diagrams at affordable prices. There's a whole lot more on 'em than just wiring.
Correct color codes - Ford part #'s for connectors - Circuit #'s - Wire gage sizes - Fuses - Bulbs.

Last edited:

GIJoe4500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Possibly - nothing! If your doing a conversion you NEED the wiring diagram(s). One for the vehicle your converting and one for the donor. And, Helm,Inc. is the place to go. They provide OEM diagrams at affordable prices. There's a whole lot more on 'em than just wiring.
Correct color codes - Ford part #'s for connectors - Circuit #'s - Wire gage sizes - Fuses - Bulbs.
I might NEED the wiring diagram(s) if I was swapping an EFI engine into an EFI vehicle. But this is carb to carb. If all else fails I'll rewire the entire engine harness myself. There honestly isn't much too it on a carb'd motor. I've been doing a lot of wiring chasing in the truck, and I already have my ignition stuff all squared away with new wires run. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals