• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) What have I missed?

trumpetguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So my 2001 Ranger XL 2.5 liter which has never given me the slightest of problems now has me scratching my head wondering what I missed in trying to troubleshoot the problem. First let me make it clear that I am not experienced in engine diagnostics at all so I usually ask advise from the local auto store and go from there. It started after driving it a short distance and on my return the engine started revving up high upon shifting almost like the throttle was stuck. I tapped on the throttle a couple of times then it stopped only to then completely stop running and would not start after that. It turns over fine but seems to no fire. I first checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it was good. Then the fuel pressure. All perfectly fine. I changed out the relay for the fuel pump and still nothing. I am assuming even if my throttle was loose it would still try to start. I feel it is something electrical but again I am a total armature at this so I am reaching out for any advise on where to go next. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Squirt some fuel into the throttle body. Try to start the engine. If there is any sign of it trying to start then you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, then it is electrical.
Also... I'm not familiar with the 2.5 but Check the timing belt if it has one.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Squirt some fuel into the throttle body. Try to start the engine. If there is any sign of it trying to start then you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, then it is electrical.
Agreed. Simplest thing you can do with immediate results
Also, not that this will matter for this issue, but add drive and transmission (I'm assuming manual) info to your signature for future reference if you ever need advice again.

And another dumb question -- do you have fuel in the tank? :unsure: And don't gimme that stink-face look. It happened to me before:p

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a issue years ago with a 4.0 where it revved between shifts and wanted to stall when taking off from a stop, ended up being a vaccum leak. It would still start though. Worth a look, Ive had the vac line come off the pvc valve before, I know its in a p.i.t.a place under the intake, makes it easy to forget & overlook though when going over things.

trumpetguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also, not that this will matter for this issue, but add drive and transmission (I'm assuming manual) info to your signature for future reference if you ever need advice again.

And another dumb question -- do you have fuel in the tank? :unsure: And don't gimme that stink-face look. It happened to me before:p
Not a dumb question at all but in this case I had just filled it up. Just two days ago I was trying to trouble shoot out AC spit system as it was the first day to use the AC. Of course I went about trying to find the reset switch, etc, and it turn out the breaker had been tripped! Duh!!!!
Thanks for the advise and yes it's a 5 speed manual. I had just got it all nice cleaned and pretty to start using more because of the rising gas prices. My V6 SUV drinks gas while the Ranger I can fill it up and forget about it!

trumpetguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual

I will certainly try that. Also have you heard anything about a reset switch on the passenger side under the back flooring?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will certainly try that. Also have you heard anything about a reset switch on the passenger side under the back flooring?
Yes there is a rollover switch under the rug up by where your left foot rests. That can go off but it would usually take a good jar to set it. When set off it is in an open position. Definitely worth a look. Once set off they are more sensitive. For temporary testing you can take off the wiring and short between the two wires with another piece of wire.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A vacuum leak could do that, when I had the upper intake off mine I missed one and it was a real jerk when I tried to start it then remembered about the hose I missed... even the 5.0L in my Explorer was super mad when I missed one of the two PCV hoses that go to the intake, it's a feature of MAF fuel systems to care a lot about vacuum leaks, if the MAF sensor doesn't see airflow it doesn't know how much fuel to give...

trumpetguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So here is an update on my 2001 Ranger XL 2.5 Manual Transmission. Turned out the timing belt broke so a friend mechanic who put the second engine in about 2 years ago came and replaced the drive belt, water pump, serpentine belt, new plugs and wires and a couple of sensors. So now it starts but is running rough as hell and will now bog down around 3K. He admits that he might have made a mistake when setting the timing. But now another mechanic says he thinks it might be a clogged catalyic converter. Of course this mechanic who I know is VERY good is so backed up it will be weeks before he can do his magic. I have checked hoses and replaced two of them. I have been under my truck and really looked around and certainly know more about where things are more than ever but unfortunately the truck that I was giving a makeover and looks so nice is just sitting there looking pretty but not running. I think maybe I should have left it dirty with dents, dings, trim missing, etc.....and none of this would have happened!!! It is very frustrating to not be able to get a definitive cause. I have watched so many You Tube videos on the possible causes that I think I might go insane!!
So now after my endless ramble I will ask this:
These are the things that have been "suggested" to do that I feel I am capable of doing to at least rule some things out while I wait for professional assistance. Tell me what you think?
1. Check the compression (Compression Gauge)
2. Loosen the flange to the first catalyic converter and see how it runs

Any suggestion that don't involve taking the engine apart would be GREATLY appreciated!

Larry Taylor
2001 Ranger 2.5 5 speed manual transmission
2wd

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can do a vacuum test for clogged cats.

Screenshot_20220329-161655_Drive.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals