• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Wish I could get the cruise working in my Superduty. Switches are fine.i checked them with a meter and I can see them working when I hook up Forscan. Got the brake pedal switch working right. Not sure what to check next.

Is it completely inop or does it work intermittently? If intermittent can Forscan give you a “first out?” If it’s always inop there should be a step by step test somewhere that you can follow.

I’m not 100% sure this will solve my issue as it’s an intermittent problem, but the switches did test out of range according to the manual so I’m hopeful. I don’t want it to be the servo as they seem hard to find. I saw tons that looked nearly identical on the outside at the junkyard but the retainer for the cable end was different from mine. I’m guessing they are programmed for a specific vehicle/drivetrain combo as well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Is it completely inop or does it work intermittently? If intermittent can Forscan give you a “first out?” If it’s always inop there should be a step by step test somewhere that you can follow.

I’m not 100% sure this will solve my issue as it’s an intermittent problem, but the switches did test out of range according to the manual so I’m hopeful. I don’t want it to be the servo as they seem hard to find. I saw tons that looked nearly identical on the outside at the junkyard but the retainer for the cable end was different from mine. I’m guessing they are programmed for a specific vehicle/drivetrain combo as well.
Doesn't work at all. I don't have the shop manual yet. So, no troubleshooting procedure. All I have is the wiring diagrams book.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Here's a couple pics of the F350 project, the section replaced was just smaller than a business card (what I made my template out of), the replacement metal came from the top of a 55 gal drum I had on hand (used the drum for scrap metal, kept the top for this type of thing). No in process pics, I tacked a piece of random sheet metal to the middle for a ground attachment. Hopefully this summer I'll pull the headliner at least some to get some paint on the under side of this area...

20240225_130724.jpg
20240225_140359.jpg
20240225_140520.jpg

I know that rust is minor compared to what most of you deal with, but it's the only rust on that worn out beast...

Got further on the camper, jacks are on, sealed everything I think other than I need another tube of roof sealant but the wife just informed me that I was off on my weekends, I have one more weekend before we go camping... after I got the jacks on I tried to use them but I think the remote battery is finally dead and we're out of 9V batteries...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Prepped the old sleeper couch for trash pickup. They wanted the mattress wrapped in plastic before they would be willing to pick it up. With the potential of there being bed bugs and urine smells in what they pick up, I guess I can't blame them. So, that was taken care of and the couch itself was covered in plastic so it won't be a wet, sopping mess when they go to pick it up.

Aside from that, I just cleaned up sticks in the yard. The maple out back and the beech in the front like to drop a lot of sticks. So, one needs to keep up on that. It's also laundry day.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
I installed a new head unit in my truck, a 2003 Ranger XLT Supercab. It sounds really good and I like the backup camera and the Apple Carplay. FYI though, if you are going to do this, make sure you buy a dash kit before starting the installation. I didn't. I was still able to get the head unit installed but it doesn't look the best. Also, the Metra wiring harness adaptor makes things super easy to wire up. I'll link it below.
The Backup camera was pretty easy to wire up. I started at the rear and worked my way forward. For routing the wires I just followed a white cable (Not Sure What its for) that was already on the inside of the left frame rail. I followed that wire up until the engine bay, where I fished it up[ past the exhaust manifolds and pushed it through the steering collum grommet, which I had cut a small slit in prior to this for some lightbar wiring. After that, it was the simple step of pulling the wire up into the dash and connecting it to the head unit.
I have also replaced the front 2 speakers with some 6x8 Pioneer ones from Walmart that I got for like $65, TS-800M is the model I think. Rear Speakers are still stock, and I expect them to blow, as my head unit does 85 watts per channel and I doubt the stock Ford speakers can handle that for long.

I will be making a full-blown post on this. As of now, I don't have any photos, but I will work on getting those, and once I do that post should go up.

Wiring Adaptor link
URL in case the link decides to not work

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Prepped the old sleeper couch for trash pickup. They wanted the mattress wrapped in plastic before they would be willing to pick it up. With the potential of there being bed bugs and urine smells in what they pick up, I guess I can't blame them. So, that was taken care of and the couch itself was covered in plastic so it won't be a wet, sopping mess when they go to pick it up.

Aside from that, I just cleaned up sticks in the yard. The maple out back and the beech in the front like to drop a lot of sticks. So, one needs to keep up on that. It's also laundry day.
oh my gosh, you provided a target rich environment….

I need a day to craft my response to this

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Rear Speakers are still stock, and I expect them to blow, as my head unit does 85 watts per channel and I doubt the stock Ford speakers can handle that for long.

I will be making a full-blown post on this….,
Wow, ambitious. But wouldn’t it save time to just replace the speakers now, instead of doing a full blown post on how you blow them up? You must be a drag racer…

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We had three big tree branches come down most of the way over the winter so today I tied the tractor on them, finished ripping them off the tree and dragged them out of the way so I can cut them off and haul them off.

Also picked up the hardware for the sleeping platform I am building for the Vagabond trip.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Wow, ambitious. But wouldn’t it save time to just replace the speakers now, instead of doing a full blown post on how you blow them up? You must be a drag racer…
lol. I meant a full-blown post on the entire installation, but if you guys want a post on how to blow rear speakers I might be able to make that happen.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I totally failed at replacing the timing chain tensioners on my 4.0. The truck was up on jack stands and I just couldn't get the socket to stay on the nut end of the tensioner. The u-joint on the extension destroyed any pressure I could put on it.

I started taking the entire wheel well cover off when this weird float ball thing fell down. What the hell is that thing anyway? Luckily I noticed the wire shielding had worn through, so I wrapped that with electrical tape.

Consolation victory as I put the tire back on.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I totally failed at replacing the timing chain tensioners on my 4.0. The truck was up on jack stands and I just couldn't get the socket to stay on the nut end of the tensioner. The u-joint on the extension destroyed any pressure I could put on it.

I started taking the entire wheel well cover off when this weird float ball thing fell down. What the hell is that thing anyway? Luckily I noticed the wire shielding had worn through, so I wrapped that with electrical tape.

The float ball thing was probably the vacuum reservoir for the vacuum supply to the HVAC controls. No wires to that, though. Just vacuum hose.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

You should be able to just put a regular ratchet and socket on the one on the passenger side. Easiest access os through the wheel well.

The driver's side is a different story. Even with the throttle body and thermostat housing out of the way, access isn't great. A box end wrench will get in there. A deep well socket, only kind of.

One thing that makes the installation easier, is not not precharge the tensioner. That way you need less force to press the tensioner in there and get it threaded. Just remember to press the gas pedal all the way to the floor to keep the engine starting so you can prime the tensioner while cranking the engine.

The driver's side tensioner also likes to leak. So make sure to inspect it real good with a light and a mirror once you do fire up the engine so you don't fill up the valley with oil. I had that happen to me and needed to crank that tensioner down more so the crush washer would properly deform. That's where the box end wrench comes in handy. That and a can or two of brake cleaner to clean out the valley.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
oh my gosh, you provided a target rich environment….

I need a day to craft my response to this
I'm sure it will be entertaining. Whatever you come up with.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop

That's the float switch for the automatic pontoons.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals