• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Let me check if I can pull out that cylinder and just use it like a regular coupler.
I didn't find that version, but was going to post a link to another version.

I think you could. The front attach point for the cylinder is fixed, the rear one slides to allow movement for the braking mechanism. Remove the cylinder, but leave the forward bolt in place for the latch. Weld or bolt it through thhe trailer tounge and it should work just like any other hitch.

That said I probably wouldn't use it, I'd likely spend the few bucks at HF for a new one. That is mostly because I don't like the appearance of the latch style. I know your propensity for using scrounge parts though, and I think it would be more than strong enough to handle the weight of the party cart.

As for what I did today (this weekend) not a damn thing. Slept and scratched my head over how exactly I'm going to build this replacement engine for the Ranger. Would help if companies would respond to my parts inquiries. Come on people I want to send you money, why won't you make an effort to take it. Emails sent again, hopefully they'll be more responsive this week.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I didn't find that version, but was going to post a link to another version.

I think you could. The front attach point for the cylinder is fixed, the rear one slides to allow movement for the braking mechanism. Remove the cylinder, but leave the forward bolt in place for the latch. Weld or bolt it through thhe trailer tounge and it should work just like any other hitch.

That said I probably wouldn't use it, I'd likely spend the few bucks at HF for a new one. That is mostly because I don't like the appearance of the latch style. I know your propensity for using scrounge parts though, and I think it would be more than strong enough to handle the weight of the party cart.

As for what I did today (this weekend) not a damn thing. Slept and scratched my head over how exactly I'm going to build this replacement engine for the Ranger. Would help if companies would respond to my parts inquiries. Come on people I want to send you money, why won't you make an effort to take it. Emails sent again, hopefully they'll be more responsive this week.
Send the list to me and I’ll see what I’ve gotten the shed of miracles

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
burnt the pile of brush this morning, took right off then stood by the cherry trees trying to control the avian population that is attacking the trees... there's like 20 of them but I've gotten like 6 of them so far today... in the middle of the day I went to a graduation party... when I got back I got a couple more of the birds then tackled some different blackberries and jumped on the tractor and knocked them down more and mowed some of the swamp with that...

The new RC boat worked fine until it got some algae around the shaft and in the impeller... we'll see what I can do, will be better in the fall than now...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Send the list to me and I’ll see what I’ve gotten the shed of miracles
I think that would be asking a bit too much from even your shed of miracles.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Yesterday I put plants in the raised garden beds, added slime sealant to my yard cart tires & drove it around. Cleaned up my escape & checked its electric fan operation.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I finished disassembling the carport and installed the posts around the fire pit area. With the benches and posts in place, I can finish laying the block for the pillars and start planning on how to best install the privacy lattice so it doesn't interfere with people sitting on the benches and keeps my daughter's dogs from jumping over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

With a physical barrier, regardless of how weak it might be (lets face it, lattice isn't the strongest barrier) and the limited visibility through it, maybe any temptation a Saint Bernard or Great Dane might have will be removed.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I started working on my friend's 48 F1. I got it jacked up, pulled the wheels and my wife came out to tell me the TV had crapped out. So I went out and got a new TV instead of woking on the F1. Today's a new day.
Jeff's 48.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Went to work, did work, came home from work, made a sandwich, then spent about an hour in the backyard relaxing in 75 degree weather.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
thats almost winter weather, here.

its in the low 90s but the humidity makes it 105-109 the last week or two

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Getting the boat ready. Put the new transom in and the Vinyl Nautolex skin on yesterday. The 93 Ranger is on the right, she pulls this baby around.
Screenshot_20240520_093012_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_093104_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_170821_Message+.jpg

1985 Century Mustang II

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started working on my friend's 48 F1. I got it jacked up, pulled the wheels and my wife came out to tell me the TV had crapped out. So I went out and got a new TV instead of woking on the F1. Today's a new day.
View attachment 111154
Who needs a TV when you've got that took at.

Today I spent too much. Top end for engine rebuild is now ordered. I wanted more than stock, but also didn't want to go with aftermarket aluminum heads and a full on performance engine build. Placed an order today for ported GT-40P heads, intake, EGR elbow, and throttle body. Also got the porter's recommended matching truck cam. More than I needed to spend, but only a little more than getting a set of heads and matching rocker setup.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Worked today. Tonight I start prep for getting borescoped tomorrow. Yay...

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Worked today. Tonight I start prep for getting borescoped tomorrow. Yay...
It’s OK with us if you keep that video to yourself…

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Ran some errands, and then I voted on the way home. Pitiful choices.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I finished disassembling the carport and installed the posts around the fire pit area. With the benches and posts in place, I can finish laying the block for the pillars and start planning on how to best install the privacy lattice so it doesn't interfere with people sitting on the benches and keeps my daughter's dogs from jumping over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

With a physical barrier, regardless of how weak it might be (lets face it, lattice isn't the strongest barrier) and the limited visibility through it, maybe any temptation a Saint Bernard or Great Dane might have will be removed.
Yeah, keep telling yourself that….

Personally, I hate plastic lattice, but I hate real lattice even more. It always looks great when you put it up, but the real lattice just comes apart too quickly, too often, and in too many ways. I bet you that would be even worse with a couple giant dogs and some little kids. Once you paint the plastic, nobody will ever notice.

Are you using 4 x 4 posts? I had the thought that you could route a channel in the sides of the posts, and then flex the lattice and pop it into that slot. Then you can hold it in place with a few screws from the back.

And I have two thoughts on this. One is to cut your slot 3/4 of an inch from the back of the 4 x 4 posts, and where you need a little resistance from somebody leaning against it or the dogs jumping at it, run a 1 x 2 or a 1 x 3 or whatever, side to side behind the lattice. Paint that 1x green or brown or black, and it will disappear behind the lattice.

The other thought I had was similar. Route the 4 x 4, but instead of routing it down the side, route it down the back corner, just enough for the lattice to sit flush from the back. Then put a few screws in it, and put some kind of cross bracing across it, so it has some strength.

That crossbracing could also be something like EMT conduit with the ends flattened, or a little piece of channel, or whatever. One of my personal favorites is always free, old bed frames….

Hope it helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals