• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Years ago I was inside my popup at camp driveway working on some stuff. We had bird feeders under an ash tree in the front yard about 10 feet from where the camper was parked. Along with loads of songbirds, doves frequented the area to pick up dropped seeds. I was watching the birds and all of a sudden they all took off from the feeders and ground into the trees. One flew out to the road in front of our house and landed. A second later it got whacked by a Cooper's hawk. The dove rolled a few feet and the hawk landed and just kind of looked around all badass like. I swear he was showing off. He or she picked up the dove and flew off to enjoy its picnic elsewhere.

The dove probably felt differently, but I remember thinking how cool it was that I was in the right place at the right time to witness that so up close.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Weekend plan is to move all the junk around, take the step trailer off the Road Ranger, turn it around in the driveway, so I can finish up the work before nationals.

I think I mentioned one of the tires on my trailer dolly goes flat in less than 24 hours. I don’t need it for the step trailer, but I need to move the other trailers out-of-the-way. No more than I use it, I was completely happy filling it every time, but last time I noticed, there were also a couple tears, dry rot in the tire.

Well, Harbor freight has all of that kind of tire on sale right now if you need one. The right size for me was only $7. How can you pass that up? So mostly to get lincoln out of the house on a little adventure, I went down and got one.

Nothing is ever easy. The bushings in the new one were too small in diameter, so I knocked the bushings out of the old one to swap them. Well, they were a hair too small in outside diameter, and could slide in and out of the metal tube in the wheel.

Sooo, I used a pointy punch and put three dimples at the right distance from the tip of the axle tube, so the bushings couldn’t slide past it. Then I put some E6000 in the axle tube and around those bushings and I set them in. Perfect, right? No such luck.

When I slid it on the axle on the dolly, the new axle tube is about 3/4 of an inch too short, so it can slide back and forth. I’ll pull it, and drill another hole in the right place for the cotter pin.

IMG_1903.jpeg

I wanted a nice tire like the existing tire, kind of an all-terrain that’s still good for the road. Then I remembered this thing only goes about 100 feet a year in my driveway and on my lawn, and nobody ever sees it. So I settled for a R&B* tire on a slightly different wheel.

(*R&B = round and black)

By the time I got it all done, they changed the forecast to rain all weekend.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Weekend plan is to move all the junk around, take the step trailer off the Road Ranger, turn it around in the driveway, so I can finish up the work before nationals.

I think I mentioned one of the tires on my trailer dolly goes flat in less than 24 hours. I don’t need it for the step trailer, but I need to move the other trailers out-of-the-way. No more than I use it, I was completely happy filling it every time, but last time I noticed, there were also a couple tears, dry rot in the tire.

Well, Harbor freight has all of that kind of tire on sale right now if you need one. The right size for me was only $7. How can you pass that up? So mostly to get lincoln out of the house on a little adventure, I went down and got one.

Nothing is ever easy. The bushings in the new one were too small in diameter, so I knocked the bushings out of the old one to swap them. Well, they were a hair too small in outside diameter, and could slide in and out of the metal tube in the wheel.

Sooo, I used a pointy punch and put three dimples at the right distance from the tip of the axle tube, so the bushings couldn’t slide past it. Then I put some E6000 in the axle tube and around those bushings and I set them in. Perfect, right? No such luck.

When I slid it on the axle on the dolly, the new axle tube is about 3/4 of an inch too short, so I can slide back and forth. I’ll pull it, and drill another hole in the right place for the cotter pin.

View attachment 111026

I wanted a nice tire like the existing tire, kind of an all-terrain that’s still good for the road. Then I remembered this thing only goes about 100 feet a year in my driveway and on my lawn, and nobody ever sees it. So I settled for a R&B* tire on a slightly different wheel.

(*R&B = round and black)

By the time I got it all done, they changed the forecast to rain all weekend.
I had something like that with my hand truck and wheel barrow. I replaced them with those never flat tires HF sells. They have worked well and never needs more air.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I had something like that with my hand truck and wheel barrow. I replaced them with those never flat tires HF sells. They have worked well and never needs more air.
I looked at that option, obviously, I’d prefer a run flat tire. A couple of my trailers are pretty heavy, the brick driveway is not smooth, and there are roots running across the top of the yard from a close by maple tree. So for me, the pneumatic tires can make a big difference.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Ordered some more exhaust goodies for the ranger.. 3" stain-free donut flange kit and a 45° elbow. Still need to get a step drill bit to make my o2 bungs.. well get there.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You see a hawk, I see bigfoot standing on the other side of that fence row staring at the guy rudely taking.pictures of him.

Years ago I was inside my popup at camp driveway working on some stuff. We had bird feeders under an ash tree in the front yard about 10 feet from where the camper was parked. Along with loads of songbirds, doves frequented the area to pick up dropped seeds. I was watching the birds and all of a sudden they all took off from the feeders and ground into the trees. One flew out to the road in front of our house and landed. A second later it got whacked by a Cooper's hawk. The dove rolled a few feet and the hawk landed and just kind of looked around all badass like. I swear he was showing off. He or she picked up the dove and flew off to enjoy its picnic elsewhere.

The dove probably felt differently, but I remember thinking how cool it was that I was in the right place at the right time to witness that so up close.
They had a big pigeon problem on the facility where I work. Damn near a bio hazard from all the pigeon poop on the floors. One of the measures to reduce the population was releasing a few hawks to hunt them it's a site to watch when one of them snags a pigeon and flies up into the rafters of the hangar to start chowing down.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
We have some Red Tail Hawks we see on a regular basis around here.

There is supposed to be a nesting pair of Bald Eagles on the Coraopolis side of the Ohio River but I don't remember ever seeing them. There are a couple that we see all the time flying over French Creek outside of Franklin, PA. You never realize how big those birds are until you are up close to them. That has only happened a couple times when a bird handler came in for an event, like at Boy Scout camp or something similar.
Somewhere I think I have a picture of a 6’ tall park Ranger sitting in a Bald Eagle nest. Really puts things into proportions when you realize the nest is more the size of a backyard hot tub…

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
A guy came to our door trying to sell a security system and I couldn't hear his sales pitch over our three dogs barking and he failed to see the irony. Was that dumb or what?
Yeah, I don’t know how to tell if they’re just overly determined or overly confident or just plain dumb at that point. I had one try that when he didn’t even have to ring the doorbell because me and my 100# German Shepherd greeted him at the door. Dude, either you think you’re way better than you are or you are so dumb I might have to draw you a picture. If the two of us greet you at the door and we don’t know each other, don’t try to sell me on a security system, it’s a lost cause because you have just been shown how the security system works here. Jehova witnesses can be pretty persistent too. I had a couple trying to talk to me despite the dog keeping them at length and after they said what they were there for I said I wasn’t interested. When they persisted, I dropped my welding helmet and went back to work. They still tried for another like 10 minutes with me welding away. Maybe I should have warned them about welders flash, but I figured if they couldn’t get the hint, that was on them.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
He was looking for the sale and didn't care about the irony. He would be the same type of person that would try selling siding to someone who owns a brick home.
Funny you should say that, years ago I helped a friend and his dad side a brick house. It was an old house and we wrapped the outside in Tyvek, put nailer strips on, filled in between the nailers with insulation, and put the siding over it all. Actually worked pretty good to seal up drafts and insulate the old house without having to get into the walls. Basically trapped a thermal mass (the brick) on the inside of insulation which can provide a huge insulation boost. A poor man’s ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) if you will.

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Fun fact, I got to watch one of those never flat tires go flat. It was on a wheelbarrow full of concrete, guy filled up the wheelbarrow, picked it up and started heading to the back of the garage on what we called running boards (16” wide strips of 3/4” plywood to throw down on gravel or mud for pushing wheelbarrows full of stuff on, the good old days f concrete construction). There was a loud bang as the rim separated and that was as far as that went. Had to dump and spread it there and a couple of us toss the wheelbarrow outside. Not a particularly common failure, but it was definitely something, lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Fun fact, I got to watch one of those never flat tires go flat. It was on a wheelbarrow full of concrete, guy filled up the wheelbarrow, picked it up and started heading to the back of the garage on what we called running boards (16” wide strips of 3/4” plywood to throw down on gravel or mud for pushing wheelbarrows full of stuff on, the good old days f concrete construction). There was a loud bang as the rim separated and that was as far as that went. Had to dump and spread it there and a couple of us toss the wheelbarrow outside. Not a particularly common failure, but it was definitely something, lol
Oh the tire certainly complains with a load of gravel in the wheel barrow but it hasn't failed yet on either wheel barrow I put one on.

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
You see a hawk, I see bigfoot standing on the other side of that fence row staring at the guy rudely taking.pictures of him.

They had a big pigeon problem on the facility where I work. Damn near a bio hazard from all the pigeon poop on the floors. One of the measures to reduce the population was releasing a few hawks to hunt them it's a site to watch when one of them snags a pigeon and flies up into the rafters of the hangar to start chowing down.
Not Bigfoot. That was Elvis

IMG_1905.jpeg

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Yeah, I don’t know how to tell if they’re just overly determined or overly confident or just plain dumb at that point. I had one try that when he didn’t even have to ring the doorbell because me and my 100# German Shepherd greeted him at the door. Dude, either you think you’re way better than you are or you are so dumb I might have to draw you a picture. If the two of us greet you at the door and we don’t know each other, don’t try to sell me on a security system, it’s a lost cause because you have just been shown how the security system works here. Jehova witnesses can be pretty persistent too. I had a couple trying to talk to me despite the dog keeping them at length and after they said what they were there for I said I wasn’t interested. When they persisted, I dropped my welding helmet and went back to work. They still tried for another like 10 minutes with me welding away. Maybe I should have warned them about welders flash, but I figured if they couldn’t get the hint, that was on them.
I didn’t know the Jehovah’s Witnesses sold security systems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals