• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Painted a car for the first time ever. It has taken a week because I had no idea what I was doing. The previous paint job is 18(?) years old and the paint is cracking. The roof was unacceptably bad so I painted it to preserve it for a few more years and learn on a low risk project. Eventually, I want to do a heavy-duty epoxy sliver and blue two tone like it was originally. I'm not painting anything for a long while though and my secret project gets priority...

View attachment 106843 View attachment 106845 View attachment 106844 View attachment 106847 View attachment 106846
View attachment 106848 View attachment 106849
View attachment 106850
View attachment 106851 View attachment 106852
I’d say great job. It looks really nice.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Green Ranger got a new cam sensor and assembly. I started getting a cam sensor code and I wasn’t really confident in the assembly since it had some slop so the whole thing got changed. I think the plug could stand to get changed too, but I don’t have one of those at the moment. Started up nicer and has better throttle response, or at least it seems to. Have yet to drive it, probably be tomorrow.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Swirved and slid, but despite my efforts, tagged some impatient twit in her soccer mom suv who couldn't wait and turned in front of me. I creamed the left rear corner of her disposable POS. My beater with a heater broke a parking light, pealed the fender flare half off and punched a hole on the corner of the fenders. She insisted on calling the cops. She tried saying I ran the light. Two other witnesses stayed at the seen and reported I had a green light. Cops wrote her up at fault. Is it any wonder I'm jaded and hate people in general. Glad at least two honest people forfeited their time staying and witnessing the truth.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Started the live axle conversion portion of the V8 swap. Have had the parts to convert my 99 to live axle for over a year, but never got around to it. Since my V8 swap is going to be AWD, I figured I better finally get around to installing them. Also thought that with the engine out and the axles out it would be a good time to replace my 200k mile V6 mounts for a fresh set of V8 mounts, since I'n noticed that the passenger side was accessable through a hole in the frame over the axle.

Got started about 5pm, took a break for supper around 6:30, and continued until 9pm. Got all of the locking hub components removed. Reinstalled the passenger side axle before remembering that I wanted to replace the mount too. Got that mount swapped out. Moved over to the driver side to continue and discovered that I've definitely for to drop differential to change the mount. Well, shit... that was it for the night.

Why did I decide to replace the mounts instead of just modifying the plate? Engine out and axlews removed, it's the best time to drop the differential and change the mount. I'll get it swapped and front suspension back together sometime tomorrow.

While digging in I discovered that I'm going to have to do a suspension rebuild in the near future, the boots practically gone on all 4 ball joints. Don't know that they are loose yet, but to me that means it's time to replace them. Not too big of an issue as I was going to be changing it up in the near future anyway, but I'm trying to get a set of custom upper control arms arranged for my plans.

I was hoping to get started slotting the engine in tomorrow, but if all goes well I'll be happy to have the mounts swapped and front suspension back together.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Swirved and slid, but despite my efforts, tagged some impatient twit in her soccer mom suv who couldn't wait and turned in front of me. I creamed the left rear corner of her disposable POS. My beater with a heater broke a parking light, pealed the fender flare half off and punched a hole on the corner of the fenders. She insisted on calling the cops. She tried saying I ran the light. Two other witnesses stayed at the seen and reported I had a green light. Cops wrote her up at fault. Is it any wonder I'm jaded and hate people in general. Glad at least two honest people forfeited their time staying and witnessing the truth.
Dash cams are a good thing now days with idiots and liars.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Dash cams are a good thing now days with idiots and liars.
I have one around here somewhere. I reckon it's time I dig it out and put it in the truck.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another day of working on the ranger down and it went easier than expected. Got started about 10 am this morning and made an easy day of it.

Took about an hour to drop the driver side of the differential, swap out the mount, and get the differntial back in place. Honestly a bunch of that time was finding the right socket and rachet combo to snake between the axle and the mount. Glad I went ahead and did it. If the engine were in palce I think the differential would have had to come out completely.

Stopped for a taco lunch.

After lunch I reassembled the front suspension and brakes with live axle components (unit bearings and axle shafts) in place of the locking hub components. Honestly that did take longer than expected, but I wasn't working super hard on it. That was all back together around 3:30, because when dad fired up the turkey fryer around 4 and I'd already moved on to other prep work. The next two hours I was kind of distracted by smelling the turkey fry. Did get the heat shields reinstalled on the HVAC plenum, wrapped up a few connectors that won't be needed (PVH actuator & transfer case) with self sealing silicon tape, and got the transmission staged to drop the motor in place tomorrow. Knocked off the work, got cleaned up and started chasing a bunch of little things for the rest of the build.

The turkey was worth the wait.

Another weekend or two like this and it might be a running driving V8 swap. If we can get the engine in and married to the transmission tomorrow, we should be able to knock out a lot of small stuff during the week. Unfortunately next Saturday is already booked to help with an Eagle Scout ceremony. Kind of wish my old scoutmaster would loose my number, but he doesn't use it often so I'll keep helping when he does. Might be the last one for the troup anyway, so be good to go and see everybody there from my time in.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Another day of working on the ranger down and it went easier than expected. Got started about 10 am this morning and made an easy day of it.

Took about an hour to drop the driver side of the differential, swap out the mount, and get the differntial back in place. Honestly a bunch of that time was finding the right socket and rachet combo to snake between the axle and the mount. Glad I went ahead and did it. If the engine were in palce I think the differential would have had to come out completely.

Stopped for a taco lunch.

After lunch I reassembled the front suspension and brakes with live axle components (unit bearings and axle shafts) in place of the locking hub components. Honestly that did take longer than expected, but I wasn't working super hard on it. That was all back together around 3:30, because when dad fired up the turkey fryer around 4 and I'd already moved on to other prep work. The next two hours I was kind of distracted by smelling the turkey fry. Did get the heat shields reinstalled on the HVAC plenum, wrapped up a few connectors that won't be needed (PVH actuator & transfer case) with self sealing silicon tape, and got the transmission staged to drop the motor in place tomorrow. Knocked off the work, got cleaned up and started chasing a bunch of little things for the rest of the build.

The turkey was worth the wait.

Another weekend or two like this and it might be a running driving V8 swap. If we can get the engine in and married to the transmission tomorrow, we should be able to knock out a lot of small stuff during the week. Unfortunately next Saturday is already booked to help with an Eagle Scout ceremony. Kind of wish my old scoutmaster would loose my number, but he doesn't use it often so I'll keep helping when he does. Might be the last one for the troup anyway, so be good to go and see everybody there from my time in.
Stick with it. Many years ago, but scouting was one of the best things I’ve ever done, learned a lot, learned community, learned civic pride, and learned how to help others.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stick with it. Many years ago, but scouting was one of the best things I’ve ever done, learned a lot, learned community, learned civic pride, and learned how to help others.
I appreciate what it was and did for me and most of the other scouts that I met there. Very close bonds with the other Eagles from the troup even though we don;t see each other often at all. We all agree, scouting isn't what it used to be, not even what it was when I was in the program 20 years ago. As the saying goes... Get woke, Go broke. The program went woke, it's going broke in ways other than money (maybe that too). Don't want to get into the politics, but they did and it messed things up.

Doesn't matter. At this rate I'm not going to have kids of my own, so no reason to be involved there. This troop has been dying for years. there were only 6 or 7 active scouts last time I was very involved (10-15 years ago), and has been slowly dwindling since. This is literally the last scout in the troop and he had to get a time extension to complete the project. Scoutmaster and assistant did a recruitment drive at the end of last year and only had two interested, but neither of them ever actually showed up. For their sake, if really interested, I hope that they went to a larger troop. The scoutmaster needs to retire anyway, he has to be in his late 70s and his wife has dimentia. My mother actually spends a lot of time watching her when he needs to do other things. Since he won't consider putting her in a care facility (which I do understand) he needs to let the scouting go, at least in that role, and the troop fold.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I appreciate what it was and did for me and most of the other scouts that I met there. Very close bonds with the other Eagles from the troup even though we don;t see each other often at all. We all agree, scouting isn't what it used to be, not even what it was when I was in the program 20 years ago. As the saying goes... Get woke, Go broke. The program went woke, it's going broke in ways other than money (maybe that too). Don't want to get into the politics, but they did and it messed things up.

Doesn't matter. At this rate I'm not going to have kids of my own, so no reason to be involved there. This troop has been dying for years. there were only 6 or 7 active scouts last time I was very involved (10-15 years ago), and has been slowly dwindling since. This is literally the last scout in the troop and he had to get a time extension to complete the project. Scoutmaster and assistant did a recruitment drive at the end of last year and only had two interested, but neither of them ever actually showed up. For their sake, if really interested, I hope that they went to a larger troop. The scoutmaster needs to retire anyway, he has to be in his late 70s and his wife has dimentia. My mother actually spends a lot of time watching her when he needs to do other things. Since he won't consider putting her in a care facility (which I do understand) he needs to let the scouting go, at least in that role, and the troop fold.
So sorry to hear all that, and unfortunately, it doesn’t surprise me.

Times are certainly different from when you were a kid, and 50 or 80 years before that when I was a kid. But we can’t get discouraged. If anything, we need to get more motivated. Good men are hard to find these days, they don’t grow on trees. That is why we need the good men to shape future good men, our youth, even if they’re not our blood. In the long run, they are all our blood, good blood, our future

And that is definitely me talking, not Mr. Jack. (but never underestimate his ability to speak up later in the night.)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Times are certainly different from when you were a kid, and 50 or 80 years before that when I was a kid. But we can’t get discouraged. If anything, we need to get more motivated. Good men are hard to find these days, they don’t grow on trees. That is why we need the good men to shape future good men, our youth, even if they’re not our blood. In the long run, they are all our blood, good blood, our future
I'd probably get involved in some of the newer faith based programs if asked, but Scouting would have to do a hard and fast 180 to bring me back in. Lots of reasons for it in my mind, but don't want to get into the politics as I said previously.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Did some repair work to the front light, fender and bumper from hitting that impatient driver Friday night. Pushed the bumper back about 3" causing a tire rub on left turns. Cut off 3", no more rub. The shattered light assembly was a bit more work. The fiberglass was not repairable so I took some thin steel and made a cover plate to serve my purpose. New lense is in the mail. Should be road ready Tuesday.
20240302_141027.jpg
20240302_141030.jpg
20240302_152816.jpg
20240302_152754.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I'd probably get involved in some of the newer faith based programs if asked, but Scouting would have to do a hard and fast 180 to bring me back in. Lots of reasons for it in my mind, but don't want to get into the politics as I said previously.
A couple more thoughts*. Not bragging. I used to be part owner in an engineering company (300 professionals, 400 technicians, 250-300 Rangers & S10s), and most of my career I started as a supervisor and worked all the way up to one of the top guys.

In a leadership position like that, with a captive audience, it was easy to effect a little change. I wouldn’t want to try it in the woke world today, but I truly believe one of my greatest accomplishments, seriously – not ego, was working with the young folks, and some not so young folks, to help them get their thinking, and their careers on track, and occasionally some of their personal life. OMG, have the trial lawyers changed that in a woke world!

* But someone has to do it if we are to save Judeo/Christian civilization, actually save the world.

In this seemingly impossible situation, when superheroes with the abilities of gods could not perfect the change, I was inspired by a mere mortal who inspired one of the godlike creatures:

In Dawn of Justice, Batman advised the Flash to “save one.” That is the philosophy. I embrace today. I engage the young kids when they come by to see my junk pile, and ditto when I go to chamber and professional meetings and such.

I will admit one thing, one sin. One of the primary reasons I sold my interests in the engineering company, and then I got a real estate brokers license: no F’n employees!!!! A terrible thought on the Lord’s day, but fact

Save one. All of you!!!

(and I’ll give you a ride in the Road Ranger)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Investigated the spindle bearing issue on the '90 and sure enough it's completely pooched, shaft seal had been leaking and that bearing hasn't behaved right for years apparently... not sure if the shaft is salvageable or not yet but I have a spare or two... need to order seals and bearing...

oh and on the wifes car apparently it has a nail in the tire, looked the other day and they all looked fine now one was flat, and she called and the ABS light is on so either there's a wheel bearing issue, sensor issue or the mouse got hungry... oh and the front alignment is bad or the tie rod ends are worn out, front tires are worn out on the outsides only...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals