• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Well I stopped by the old secret parts hordin spot, and got the surprisingly good stock leaf springs from my original 83 ranger. Got them wire wheeled and painted. Even though it's kinda pointless, but now the axle, lift blocks, and springs are nice and black. Got everything put together on the driver side. I still need to cut the pass side original leaf spring free to get it replaced. Then it's just a matter of connecting the main brake line, and getting the conversion u joint. Also thinking about running a set of b2 wheels white, with the black squares around the cut outs, and red pinstriping, I do love my aloy bullet holes but idk these may look good. Idk there is a reason we all go with the bullet holes, i wish i could find another set of chrome bullet holes granted they need love View attachment 97326View attachment 97325View attachment 97324
I have to say that the bullet holes are my favorite, that’s what I used on the Road Ranger and it’s trailer, and a couple others I’m planning. The exception is the Missing Linc.

I’ve never seen that cross wheel, but I think it’s got good potential if you painted creatively. Down here, everybody was throwing away the steelies, and when I was bored and sick one day, I started fiddling around with a couple of them with rustoleum just to pass the day. Here’s what I came up with.

IMG_2171.jpeg
IMG_2401.jpeg

I actually have a set of 15 x 7 Lincoln turbine wheels I was going to use on the Missing Linc, but I like these so much I never got around to finishing off the others.

Only other thought is, I’m not into it enough to know which center caps go with which wheels, I just know the ones I like. If you use the bullet holes, my preference are these:

IMG_8430.jpeg

As always, Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Anyone ever remove a transmission(by themselves) while the vehicle is still on the trailer? Lots of sharp edges to cut yourself on as a bonus LOL. Got it loaded on the truck along with one of my spare TH350s and we'll be heading to my friend Chris' transmssion shop with the lot so he can make one out of the two of them. Don't think the reverse pattern valve body or the transbrake is hurt and I know that other TH350 works real good so we should be all set to go for the next race.

20230822_115953.jpg

20230822_115913.jpg

20230822_115905.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Well I stopped by the old secret parts hordin spot, and got the surprisingly good stock leaf springs from my original 83 ranger. Got them wire wheeled and painted. Even though it's kinda pointless, but now the axle, lift blocks, and springs are nice and black. Got everything put together on the driver side. I still need to cut the pass side original leaf spring free to get it replaced. Then it's just a matter of connecting the main brake line, and getting the conversion u joint. Also thinking about running a set of b2 wheels white, with the black squares around the cut outs, and red pinstriping, I do love my aloy bullet holes but idk these may look good. Idk there is a reason we all go with the bullet holes, i wish i could find another set of chrome bullet holes granted they need love View attachment 97326View attachment 97325View attachment 97324
Can you post a picture of your whole truck? I’m curious to see it, so I can think about what color I would paint those cross wheels, and how

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I changed a fuel pump on a trailer once.

I changed a lot of fuel pumps in shitty spots, come to think of it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think "on the trailer" beats "in the mud" any day.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I changed a fuel pump on a trailer once.

I changed a lot of fuel pumps in shitty spots, come to think of it.
Have you owned a lot of Chevy's?

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Well I've been on the struggle bus for a while now trying to figure out the drive line for the 89 8.8 swap hitting one roadblock after another. Not only that but I don't have a covered area to work and it's been raining off and on the last half of the day. Still haven't figured how to do this without drilling new holes in the axle flange. Guy at the driveline shop had my hopes up, the other day when I spoke to him but I got there and he says oh that won't work. So imagine sit here and drink this monster and maybe an idea will form. Otherwise I'll be under the truck with my giant hand held drill from the 80s I do believe this is the way its gonna go
20230822_180534.jpg

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Can you post a picture of your whole truck? I’m curious to see it, so I can think about what color I would paint those cross wheels, and how
20230822_175906.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Well I've been on the struggle bus for a while now trying to figure out the drive line for the 89 8.8 swap hitting one roadblock after another. Not only that but I don't have a covered area to work and it's been raining off and on the last half of the day. Still haven't figured how to do this without drilling new holes in the axle flange. Guy at the driveline shop had my hopes up, the other day when I spoke to him but I got there and he says oh that won't work. So imagine sit here and drink this monster and maybe an idea will form. Otherwise I'll be under the truck with my giant hand held drill from the 80s I do believe this is the way its gonna goView attachment 97364
Have you looked at it for a couple days in a comfortable chair first?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Well I've been on the struggle bus for a while now trying to figure out the drive line for the 89 8.8 swap hitting one roadblock after another. Not only that but I don't have a covered area to work and it's been raining off and on the last half of the day. Still haven't figured how to do this without drilling new holes in the axle flange. Guy at the driveline shop had my hopes up, the other day when I spoke to him but I got there and he says oh that won't work. So imagine sit here and drink this monster and maybe an idea will form. Otherwise I'll be under the truck with my giant hand held drill from the 80s I do believe this is the way its gonna goView attachment 97364
You’ll probably know this….

When I did the Road Ranger trailer I had to drill about a zillion 1/2” inch and 9/16”inch holes. Anything loose I could do on the drill press, but a lot of them had to be done right on the trailer frame itself. My thought is this: I started with a small hole, like maybe 1/8 or 3/16, and then I went to 3/8, and then maybe to the 1/2 or 9/16. And I used the rust buster penetrating oil stuff as a lubricant. That way, the holes are on center easily, and the oil kept the borings cool so I didn’t fry my drill bits and they didn’t vibrate too bad.

The only other thought I had is that the steam line to the drill looks awful thin…

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
First thoughts:

In that picture, it’s hard to see what the background color is behind the red stripe along the bottom. It almost looks brown, but when I look real close, it looks like there might be a blue pinstripe or something in there. Don’t mean to be demanding, but could you send a close-up?

But here are my thoughts: I’d paint the wheels silver with rustoleum like I did. I think they actually call Aluminum now. (Dollar store 2” brush full strength).

The blackouts around the openings, I would paint them the same color red as your stripe. Get a pack of artist brushes at the hobby lobby, or Walmart ($5?) and use one that’s about 3/8 or half inch. It’s easy to keep it in the lines. Full strength over the silver, 2 coats max. Silver will cover in one coat.

Then I’d get trim rings. And I would get the black center caps to match the black rack.

I’d consider painting the toolbox the same color red, at least the top/cap of it. Paint the part inside the bed black. Gloss red, and semi gloss black.

Rustoleum has four or five different reds, pick the one that’s the closest. It’s probably sunrise red. And, BTW, I’m talking about buying a quart and then mix it 70/30 with mineral spirits or paint thinner, and then use a foam brush and a 2” or 4” foam roller on a warm day in shade, so it’s sticks, but it flows. Wears like iron.

Repaint the pipe rack with semi gloss rustoleum. On the horizontal runs on the top and the level that holds whatever, get a red vinyl pinstripe the same color as your low red stripe, and run it right down the middle. The beauty of the vinyl is, if you don’t like it, you can peel it off and do it over.

An old trick of mine is also to put pinstripe on the rain gutter over the windows. On yours, I’d do that same red again, but I might also pick up that brown or whatever the secondary background color is and do a double stripe

If you look on eBay, filter for located in North America, and then just search for pinstripe tape. You can get it any width and in virtually any color for a few dollars. Usually takes a week or less.

My 2cents, hope it helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals