• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yep, confirmed it. I've been double dumb today. Found the spare key that I belatedly remembered about right where I remembered it...

Touch up wasn't bad. The minor paint damage was mostly inside the door lip above where the weather seal is. Pretty much only I will know it's there and I don't have any wind noises that weren't there before.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I just noticed in the past couple of years that there is no outside key lock for the passenger door, just drivers door only. not sure when that started but apparently its been awhile. I never lock the ranger or the hhr. Theres nothing of value kept in either one and I dont want a broken window.
Yeah, it's an unfortunate thing. I'm sure it's justified as better theft protection but I'm sure it's saves the manufacturer money since there is less labor and parts involved.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I try to make it a point to USE the KEY to lock the door so I don’t worry about it.

That being said, I’m pretty sure I have a spare zip tied to the wire harness up under the truck that I completely forgot about until a little while ago....
FWIW, I can make keys, both chip and spare. Just a reminder, lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ford use to give you a plastic card with a door key that would pop out. You would keep it in your wallet like a drivers license or credit card. Had one for my F-150.

View attachment 73112
I had never seen those except as pictures until I got my 92 (used) and it came with the plastic card that had a door and ignition key

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So not a Ranger, but I got gas in the F-150 today… that hurt. $114.37 for 28.6 gallons of 87.

What also hurt was catching a stick to the eye later. Snapped right around my glasses. Eff this day.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Drove the ranger to work for a half day o/t. came home & worked on the escape. New cam postion sensors, passenger side front caliper, new brake pads both sides front. Usually when Id have a caliper go bad I would go ahead & replace both. But not at $70 per caliper! Heck, the core charge now is $30, Used to be a cailper was about $25. The way the hose mounts to the caliper on a gen 2 escape is dumb, instead of a banjo bolt (like most ranger calipers Ive seen) the hose threads into the caliper, so you have to hold the hose still while turning the heavy caliper. Then tighten hose with a wrench once the caliper is mounted. I noticed last weekend a brake smell from the left front and the lug nuts on that side were very hot compared to the other side. Luckily it didnt warp the rotor. Brake pad wear was about the same from right to left side, about 1/2 of what new thickness would be. Considering all the towing Ive done in the last year Im not surprised, it had new pads when we bought it 2 years ago.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
So not a Ranger, but I got gas in the F-150 today… that hurt. $114.37 for 28.6 gallons of 87.

What also hurt was catching a stick to the eye later. Snapped right around my glasses. Eff this day.
My usual fill spot jumped 39 cents this week -__-

Figures... I just halfed my commute to work.. but gas is gonna double 😡

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Broke into the 2011 because I failed to check that I had keys in hand before locking it. Luckily, it was at work, so had plenty of options for prying the door away from the frame and getting a heavy enough rod in there to push the unlock button.

So, I may have some door realignment work in my immediate future...

Definitely some paint touch up.
Any time Ive locked the keys in my 2011 ranger I just use I long screw driver. At the drivers door lift the handle slide the screwdriver in the right hole ( handle hinge hole) you need to push in a good bit then push down on the screwdriver handle. You can feel it hit cross bar that activates the lock, if you watch the button move. If you see the lock button start to move buy not unlock just keep pressure and cycle handle and your in. It's take a bit the first time but lock yous keys in as many time as i have and you can do it as fast as using a key

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any time Ive locked the keys in my 2011 ranger I just use I long screw driver. At the drivers door lift the handle slide the screwdriver in the right hole ( handle hinge hole) you need to push in a good bit then push down on the screwdriver handle. You can feel it hit cross bar that activates the lock, if you watch the button move. If you see the lock button start to move buy not unlock just keep pressure and cycle handle and your in. It's take a bit the first time but lock yous keys in as many time as i have and you can do it as fast as using a key
I'll have to practice for when I do it for real.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tucked the Ranger in the garage and the Bronco in the barn. They are talking a chance of hail tomorrow.

20220304_205130.jpg

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
^That’s a nice pic!

-Jazzer

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just noticed in the past couple of years that there is no outside key lock for the passenger door, just drivers door only. not sure when that started but apparently its been awhile. I never lock the ranger or the hhr. Theres nothing of value kept in either one and I dont want a broken window.
By coincidence I looked at my 2011 yesterday. Looks as if the Rangers kept the outside key locks on both doors until the end in 2011, because the passenger's door has one too.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drove the ranger to work for a half day o/t. came home & worked on the escape. New cam postion sensors, passenger side front caliper, new brake pads both sides front. Usually when Id have a caliper go bad I would go ahead & replace both. But not at $70 per caliper! Heck, the core charge now is $30, Used to be a cailper was about $25. The way the hose mounts to the caliper on a gen 2 escape is dumb, instead of a banjo bolt (like most ranger calipers Ive seen) the hose threads into the caliper, so you have to hold the hose still while turning the heavy caliper. Then tighten hose with a wrench once the caliper is mounted. I noticed last weekend a brake smell from the left front and the lug nuts on that side were very hot compared to the other side. Luckily it didnt warp the rotor. Brake pad wear was about the same from right to left side, about 1/2 of what new thickness would be. Considering all the towing Ive done in the last year Im not surprised, it had new pads when we bought it 2 years ago.
How many miles on the Escape? Might be time for new front bearings, especially since the lug nuts got hot. Either the bearing on that side is failing or possibly the overheating will get to it and cause it to fail soon. Sorry to be the messenger, but I've had lots of fun with wheel bearings over the years...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford held out for a while doing both front doors with a key. My mother had a 80s GM something or other, big sedan, one door lock.

I guess power locks kinda negated the need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals