• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
a tractor pull meeting? like racing tractor pulls?

thats cool

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, there's a local event near me, they make a whole weekend about it, I'm a member of the thing and volunteer on the track sometimes driving the roller to compact after the pulls or whatever... good times!

Bgunner

Well Known As an Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Ordered up an oil pan and gasket for the beer fetcher since the pan is rotting through. The gasket costs more than the oil pan... :shok:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Found out that wasnt a hurst ahifter i got for 125. Turns out its a core shifter. I just instwlled it and what a difference. No wonder everyone says they have drift rangers after putting on a short shift kit to their ranger. It feels like my bmw after doing a super short shift kit

Rick W

Lil Big Rig
Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Oh wise ones….

(remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people)

97 Ranger 4.0 5spd 2WD question(s), B2/S1 O2 sensor.

Check engine light is on, went to AutoZone and got it coded, P0153, bank 2, sensor 1.

Is that driver side after the cat? It’s listed for the 97 ranger 4.0, but it doesn’t say which sensor it is, and I think there are three.

When I converted the single exhaust to dual exhausts, the shop had to put a universal cat on the driver side. We left the passenger side alone, except for plugging the crossover hole.

If I remember correctly, the shop guy removed the oxygen sensor on the driver side and reinstalled it on the new pipe.

Is this the correct sensor? None of parts listings use the bank/sensor lingo…

IMG_2041.png

Is my warning light because I have a problem with the oxygen sensor, or is the warning light on because I split the exhaust and put in a universal cat?

BTW, the truck runs fine, I just hate looking at the light now that I fixed all the other dash lights, and I don’t need it to see where the dashboard is….

Any and all comments and information are welcome. I’m not a bad turn wrench, I just don’t have the equipment and industry knowledge you guys do….

ITSA 7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Started my 97 Ranger for the first time since I started the V8 conversion several years ago. Got lucky and it started first try. No oil leaks. transmission leaking between the case and tailshaft. Everything else seems OK. Now to finish all the "little things" before I can drive it around the block.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I pulled the valve body out of my C4 and removed the accumulator that we used to call a hockey puck in an attempt to firm up the 1-2 shift. The trans came out of an 81 Cougar sedan with a 200 six that I swapped a 302/T5 into. I used Mustang II forward and reverse/high drums to increase the number of clutch plates and a TCI convertor but kept the stock valve body. The Mustang II valve body was modified by a guy who used to run a transmission shop nearby and I'm skeptical of his work so I didn't use it.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
None of the like emojis were right for that so

🤯

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Oh wise ones….

Check engine light is on, went to AutoZone and got it coded, P0153, bank 2, sensor 1.

Is that driver side after the cat? It’s listed for the 97 ranger 4.0, but it doesn’t say which sensor it is, and I think there are three.

When I converted the single exhaust to dual exhausts, the shop had to put a universal cat on the driver side. We left the passenger side alone, except for plugging the crossover hole.

If I remember correctly, the shop guy removed the oxygen sensor on the driver side and reinstalled it on the new pipe.

View attachment 111876

Is my warning light because I have a problem with the oxygen sensor, or is the warning light on because I split the exhaust and put in a universal cat?

BTW, the truck runs fine, I just hate looking at the light now that I fixed all the other dash lights, and I don’t need it to see where the dashboard is….

Any and all comments and information are welcome. I’m not a bad turn wrench, I just don’t have the equipment and industry knowledge you guys do….
S1 is always the upstream O2. S2 is always after the cats. Bank 1 is the side with number one cylinder, obviously bank 2 is opposite.

901wd#2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Oh wise ones….

View attachment 111876

So the pass side exhaust is p side cylinder bank factory cat, dr side is d side bank and universal cat?

I figure half the exhaust through the factory cat is not helping.

mhoward

TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V-6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Standard Edge Lift
Tire Size
235/75R-15
My credo
I've never learned a thing from anyone who agreed with me...
With the 200K miles milestone, I decided I should service the transmission. It was the only thing left to "rework", since I've replaced the entire suspension, brakes, and have been through the engine. Bought a "reseal kit" from Global Transmission which includes servo O-Rings, valve body gaskets, filter and pan gasket. I also bought 2) 5 qt. jugs of Motorcraft Mercon V fluid, band adjuster nuts (they have a built-in seal) and a new tail shaft seal. I began by putting a clear hose on the oil cooler line and put that in a clean, 5-gallon bucket. Started the engine and let it idle, pumping the fluid out of the trans and torque converter, shutting it off as soon as it started spitting air. I know... a lot of people will say that you shouldn't do that, but I wanted as much of the old fluid out of there that I could get. I put it up on stands and removed the pan (MUCH less mess when it is pretty much empty). Dropped the valve body, cleaned everything up. I didn't find any problems with the valve body gaskets but removed the old and installed the new. I wanted to adjust the bands while I was at it and that is when things went South. In order to adjust the rear band, you have to remove the shift lever and the trans position/range sensor. It was super tight, so I got the longest 7/8" wrench we had. SNAP!!! A piece fell into the drain pan, so I fished it out.

See that pin on the side by the detents? Yeah, that is super hardened and the part it's attached to is almost unobtainium (called a manual valve detent lever). I managed to find one in Nashville, TN and was able to purchase it and get it shipped to me. Yep, that set me behind a couple of days but I have the trans back together, bands adjusted and full of clean fluid. It shifts way better than it used to... smoother and more positive shifts.

I might mention that this trans had never been serviced. It had the original gasket that has the little metal disks on two sides of each bolt hole to prevent over-torquing. Based on what I've read, that gasket is only used when the trans is built at the factory and it cannot be purchased as a replacement, indicating that the pan has never been off. Considering the 200K miles, the trans was pretty clean inside. Magnet had some of the metal dust on it as expected, but no chunks anywhere. The old fluid was dark, but didn't smell burnt. Anyway, I am happy to have that done!

NOTE: I've owned this truck for 9 years and have put 122K+ on the clock. It is my fault for neglecting this important maintenance item for so long, and I feel somewhat ashamed of myself.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Put a shifter knob on while i wait for a nicer one to come in the mail.

20240608_124432.jpg

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Car club cruise last night, unfortunately Mrs 85 had to work. Perfect night for a drive though.

20240608_174654.jpg

20240608_174758.jpg

20240608_192437.jpg

20240608_193803.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals