• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
So after a whole lot of ridiculous jumping through proverbial hoops and wasting a whole bunch of time and gas, I started stripping down the motor in the choptop this evening. Thinking the power steering and the lower intake with the fuel rail I’ll just flip out of the way so it’s less I actually have to disconnect. Everything has been apart a stupid number of times so that’s not really a problem. Getting my head wrapped back around this project has been a little more of a challenge but we’re figuring it out. Only potential bad news at this point is that I forgot we didn’t get the oxygen bottle for my torch set filled. That’s annoying because I’ll have to disconnect it and run it over to the weld shop if I need the torch, but at the same time, the weld shop really isn’t far away and they’ve been pretty good to me so far so it’s really just that the time crunch is on and I’m a little less than happy I might have to burn a little more time and gas, however little it is.

At any rate, it shouldn’t be the end of the world. I got the money for the oxygen fill if I need it and this is all pretty straightforward at this point. If I can manage not to break anything I need in the process, it shouldn’t be all that bad. Not setting any records with this swap, but for what time I’ve actually been able to put in it and all that’s going on, I’m not complaining. It should be together tomorrow, even if I have to fill the oxygen and deal with broken stuff. That should get her going again and I can make pretty later as long as it goes like it should. If there’s a hiccup along the way I’m not figuring on, well, I gave it a heck of a try to have it going for JeepFest and nobody can say I didn’t. I’ll take the F-150 if I have to to camp out and spend some time with a buddy I don’t see much. At the end of the day, all that matters is that you tried, even if life kicked you in the balls.
I work best on deadlines.

Good luck, hope all goes well, hope you make it !

I’ve never been to a jeep thing, not a Ranger thing either, but I generally like pissing people off with the stuff I do just for fun of course, so again, I wish you luck !

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I work best on deadlines.

Good luck, hope all goes well, hope you make it !

I’ve never been to a jeep thing, not a Ranger thing either, but I generally like pissing people off with the stuff I do just for fun of course, so again, I wish you luck !
I appreciate it, events are definitely worth checking out. Never been to JeepFest because I didn’t have a Jeep, but I got an invite from a friend with one, so why not. The TRS events are worth going to though, highly recommend.

I’m sure if I get the choptop to JeepFest it’s gonna get attention because it’s going to stand out like a sore thumb when people realize it’s not what a Jeep looks like but there’s some vague similarities.

We’ll see how it goes today, probably won’t get a chance to post again for a bit. I’ve done motors in less time than I have, but you can never account for everything so we’re just gonna see how it goes.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I appreciate it, events are definitely worth checking out. Never been to JeepFest because I didn’t have a Jeep, but I got an invite from a friend with one, so why not. The TRS events are worth going to though, highly recommend.

I’m sure if I get the choptop to JeepFest it’s gonna get attention because it’s going to stand out like a sore thumb when people realize it’s not what a Jeep looks like but there’s some vague similarities.

We’ll see how it goes today, probably won’t get a chance to post again for a bit. I’ve done motors in less time than I have, but you can never account for everything so we’re just gonna see how it goes.
Good luck!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
We have never washed ours. The paint is way too faded to make a difference, the old wax job is peeling off, so any good rain is sufficient to get the dust off.
In hindsight, however, we should have been hosing down the chassis frequently. Chicago's road salt has been eating it alive from underneath for years. The frame rails at the back, and the tail end cross-member have fallen apart so the bumper is hanging on with a strong rope until I can weld some braces on (and fabricate a cross-member. Which I don't know how to do...)
Never had a car or truck before this whose chassis rotted BEFORE the body did! What does Ford use for metal, anyway? Something new on the periodic table?
Rust is like cancer. it needs fixed, either by chemo or surgery or both. I took mine apart and repainted the frame with POR15, then a top coat of rattle can spray enamel, then a clear coat of polyurethane (which lasts a long time).

This may sound excessive, but it only took a few days. My last truck died from a rotten chassis.

Last edited:

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Seat and belts all bolted in and the cover film is off the back window. I have a feeling it's going to be a chore to get the belts adjusted to fit me...

20230610_122155.jpg

20230610_122137.jpg

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We have never washed ours. The paint is way too faded to make a difference, the old wax job is peeling off, so any good rain is sufficient to get the dust off.
In hindsight, however, we should have been hosing down the chassis frequently. Chicago's road salt has been eating it alive from underneath for years. The frame rails at the back, and the tail end cross-member have fallen apart so the bumper is hanging on with a strong rope until I can weld some braces on (and fabricate a cross-member. Which I don't know how to do...)
Never had a car or truck before this whose chassis rotted BEFORE the body did! What does Ford use for metal, anyway? Something new on the periodic table?
Go to an electrical wholesaler and look at Kindorf or similar channel/strut and associated fittings as a start. Kindorf and its fittings have a zinc chromate coating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals