• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’m always long-winded, but I guess my underlying thought is that if it is very well-maintained, probably 15 around town and 19 on the highway is realistic.

As regards using 93, just like the claims of diesel mileage, there are a lot of myths and stories out there. When we talk about mileage, we’re not really interested miles per gallon, we’re interested in dollars per mile. Unless you’ve done something to your engine, it should run perfectly fine on the cheap stuff. While it might get a touch more mileage on the 93, it’s usually not justified in the additional price. Premium is usually 10 or 15% higher in price, but rarely yields more than 2 or 3% more mileage.

At least that’s what my CPAs were telling me when we were running 300 trucks…

As always, my two cents, hope it helps

Send a couple pictures of the truck you’re thinking about, including a picture under the hood, and tell me how many miles on it, and if it’s got any rust
The ranger is supercharged so it needs the 93. Some idiot thought that was a good idea before the gas prices went up 75c a gallon.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/d/equinunk-1996-ford-diesel-250/7298416950.html
Here's a link to the listing, 145000miles. Seems good shape for a 25y/o truck.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Mailed off my injectors for testing/cleaning/balancing.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I should probably give an update on the red 92...

I think I found the vibration and why it sounds like someone running downhill on pavement in flip-flops. There are apparently two flat spots in the tire that is currently on the left front. Like someone dragged it with locked up brakes or something. Guess I’ll rotate it to the back again, at least it wasn’t shaking the truck back there.

I also was in the glove box for the screwdriver that’s been in there the other day and noticed something sticking out from the owners manual bundle that said Ranger. Pulled it out to find the original window sticker for the truck. Also discovered that it is an STX, not an XLT as I originally thought.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I should probably give an update on the red 92...

I think I found the vibration and why it sounds like someone running downhill on pavement in flip-flops. There are apparently two flat spots in the tire that is currently on the left front. Like someone dragged it with locked up brakes or something. Guess I’ll rotate it to the back again, at least it wasn’t shaking the truck back there.

Could have locked up the rears in the rain or something, causing a small flat spot.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My '97 F350 with a 7.3L 5 speed gets ~11mpg when I'm towing with my camper (like 18k pounds and 12' tall), and up to around 17mpg empty, it's got 1/3 of a million miles on it or so (says 350k but the speedo doesn't always work...) so it has issues here and there. At some point soon I'm hopefully going to get an intercooler and bigger injectors and other fun stuff to get it up to the 350hp range. Good truck, but I'd be tempted to get an early Duramax truck...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Could have locked up the rears in the rain or something, causing a small flat spot.
Probably something like that. I just happened to finally notice it

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
@Roert42

Wow, that’s the twin! I don’t have the cab lights on yet. I bought them years ago, hoping to put them in soon!

@lil_Blue_Ford

Keep your eyes on the tires, folks....

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
@Roert42

I don’t see the “4x4” stickers on the bed side in the rear, and it has aftermarket oversized wheel well flares: check it close for low rust and a repaint.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Roert42

I don’t see the “4x4” stickers on the bed side in the rear, and it has aftermarket oversized wheel well flares: check it close for low rust and a repaint.
My plans change with the wind, so we will see what happens. I want it, I also don’t want to take care of and pay registration on four vehicles, and I also don’t want to get rid of the existing ones.

Only time will tell.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
@Roert42

Yup, decals missing often means new paint. Also good to feel along door edges and between the cab and bed for tape lines. Look for lots of dirt or sanding scratches or other blemishes in the paint. Most bodywork these days is easily spotted once you have an idea of what to look for. Really good bodywork is hard to spot but usually indicates repairs done right so it’s not as concerning as joe blow body shop that puts two gallons of bondo in a rocker panel and leaves 60 grit scratches in it before blowing paint on in the same garage they sand in. A simple refrigerator magnet will tell you if a repair is done in metal or something else

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Today I did a little and learned a lot ! Seeing $$$ in repairs and not surprised. 2010 Former fleet truck 2.3 auto I bought 3 years ago with a good frame and maintenance records. White in color, super cab, auto, FM radio and A/C the only options (need to update my profile pic). The black rear bumper was completely rotted and found a near perfect chrome one at the local yard, cut for recessed LED lights. So of course I bought some chinese cheapo's, used quality 14/16 gage wire,relay & fuse. I have to back up in darkness often and they work well.

Over the past weekend, I scored a nice set of the 16" 5 spoke stock wheels on CL. 245/75/16 Cooper Discover tires dated late 2017, decent tread. Some cupping of course revealing the state of the front end of the truck they came from lol. No fitment issues/rubbing or bottoming out. Unavoidable speedometer issue. Probably go 235 when I replace them since its RWD 4/auto. Like them better than the crusty 15" steel ones I replaced.

In the process of working under the rig and inspecting things with the wheels off, I realize all I need to do is... Ball joints, tie rods, shocks, pads, rotors, wheel bearings, brake hoses, (calipers ?) Sure there's more but she's pretty solid and worth the investment at 160K.

Bet if I dropped it off at the local Firestone or the stealership, I'd see a 2500+ estimate. Sixth Ranger of this generation between my son and I. They have known issues, but they are easy to work on. Simplicity is bliss, perfect for us simple bast@rds !

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got the new cam seal and timing belt on the '90 last night and so far that area is dry so we'll see how that goes... I let it run for ~15 minutes then shut it off to see if anything leaked and it was clear for about an hour, probably loosened up some sludge from somewhere, it leaked from the back... unless an oil galley plug in the back is leaking...

I even adjusted the parking brake. it seems to work now!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mounted the GPS pending some road testing.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bought a new fuel filter and some exhaust parts for the 92, air filter for the GF’s car and some parts for the green 00. The trusty 92 took me to work, a bit of shopping and home. Man do I hate shopping. Tomorrow the 92 will probably be pulling yardwork detail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals