• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
My buddy has 3, none of them work. Statistically speaking I don't think the amount of jeeps you own increases your chances of having a functional vehicle...
Always heard Jeeps and Harley's. if there ain't oil under them then there ain't none in them haha

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Loaded up aluminum scrap yesterday, was tired of it being in my way. Today I hauled it in with the red Ranger to find there was 214 lbs of it. Then I stopped by my mechanic buddies place and picked up the junk tires to get rid of his week.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I washed the first extra bed that I flipped upside down, and sanded on it a little bit. Then I looked all through my shed of miracles for some sheet metal to make the headlight buckets for The Missing Linc. Damn near tripped over that brown rusty 7’ I got for $50 for the tailgate and the gas door a hundred times, and “bing,” it came to me! What better sheet metal to fix a Ranger than Ranger sheet metal!!!

21EC448F-248A-40B0-8BFC-0389782FC874.jpeg

My shop was so messy, I quit the projects and had a cleanup day. I didn’t even have enough flat space to work on the lightbar. As I was picking up, I finally added the tire tread cushions to the towbar I made in 79/80, and put the chains back on. I think it’s just as attractive as the 345/7.5 I put on the Ranger rear end!! Hopefully it’ll help keep me from bashing my shins into it as I’ve done for the last 40 years. & I need it to drag the last Ranger home to strip. The rust-free carcass will be available in a month or so....

B714E29C-39AF-4989-9551-C565621A6926.jpeg

I also had a tire swapped on the 87 Town Car, left rear cracked after only 35 years. Doggone thing only had 24k on it!! I had to special order it, no one carries a white wall any more.

& I sorted the tire pile into a more discrete and organized tire pile. I have 17 14” bullet hole with good tires-for-trailer now, 4 14” deer hoof, 3 15” deer hoof, one 14 and one 15 steelie painted the same as the 87 4WD, some extra 235/75-15s, and a smaller pile of trailer tires. A bunch is going on Craigslist tomorrow.

And, I’m going through withdrawal since I haven’t been to the pull a part in probably a month and a half. I’m almost running out a good stuff to horse trade to build these trucks, so that’s on the list for the next few days.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Always heard Jeeps and Harley's. if there ain't oil under them then there ain't none in them haha
That's pretty much how my '90 Ranger is at the moment... which is why it isn't driven much. It got better when I fixed the leaky turbo drain back but it still leaks from all over... Pulling the engine in that has to be high on the list of first bigger projects for the new shop... I gotta get more moved in before I get that far, I have a WHOLE LOT of tool box right now in there with just basics... I'll do more moving tomorrow.

The '97 Ranger was just a driver today, drove it to my brothers to work on farm equipment, went to my moms and got the chain hoist for my gantry and get my generator back, ran to town a couple times, got gas... I tell ya, it really needs a limited slip, these car tires have zero traction on wet grass... Once some projects get done and I get to things one of the 2 LS Explorer 8.8's I'll have available need to get regeared to 4.56 and get prepped for this thing, then find some 31" tires (all terrain's and car tires for daily driving and fun), then find a 4x4 '98 up rear drive shaft and put a range box in it...

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Didn't do anything to the Ranger except borrow a few tools out of the toolbox in it, but we did take the new truck racing yesterday. Finished 5th out of about 12 trucks, so not too bad for its first time out and the first time the driver drove it. He'd never had that much HP under him either.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Blew out a front brake hardline on my way to work on Friday. Had it towed home. Too sketchy even for me to try to make it home in traffic. Hopefully assess the damage today. Probably time to change them all after all the salt and time...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Didn't do anything to the Ranger except borrow a few tools out of the toolbox in it, but we did take the new truck racing yesterday. Finished 5th out of about 12 trucks, so not too bad for its first time out and the first time the driver drove it. He'd never had that much HP under him either. View attachment 57295View attachment 57296View attachment 57297
Neat truck

How does the carb get air? Is the intake on the cab side of the firewall? Never seen a setup like that before.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Neat truck

How does the carb get air? Is the intake on the cab side of the firewall? Never seen a setup like that before.
Yes, the box extends into the cab. The filter is connected to a 6" pipe stubout inside the cab. The filter itself is a K&N about 8" diameter and 14" long. I think we've decided after yesterday that's not enough. You can see the drivers side ccv is attached to the header to pull out crankcase pressure, but the passenger side is plumbed into the carburetor box. At WOT that big ol' carb is pulling so much it's sucking the oil out of the valve cover. We're going to add more filtration and probably put a restriction in the line from the valve cover to the box. It's about 1/2" right now. We haven't had it on a dyno yet, but this engine is supposed to put out 1000+ HP.

If the link works here's a video of one of the runs. Only made two since we were worried about all of the oil it was pulling out of the crankcase. It's not that pretty, but it was a win. The driver is accustomed to a Chevy chassis, single pull front end and about 400 less HP, so there's a learning curve on how to drive it. BTW the truck he's running had an $80k (or so I'm told) Steve Schmidt engine in it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3836671009753212&id=100002310527907

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
MDL t5z showed up today, and mostly installed. 7 days from purchase to delivery, pretty good!
Why didn't you go with their front shift - rear socket tailhousing? The thing is titties for Ranger swaps..

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The red one got the tires rotated yesterday then I took it next door to my property and way down the back by the creek to fetch the tow dolly up to the house for repairs before it rains again and gets muddier than it already is. Today it’s back to work

Billy1980

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just got a jump starter for my ranger. I feel that whenever I would go for long trips this is essential especially when I encounter an issue on the dead of the night and no one else can help you but yourself. This is the Truck Pac Es6000 and I want to share this review : Truck Pac ES6000 Jump Starter Review 2021 || M CRUNCH. I'm hoping I wont use it but I'm confident if anything bad might happen I have something as a back up for emergency.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I just got a jump starter for my ranger. I feel that whenever I would go for long trips this is essential especially when I encounter an issue on the dead of the night and no one else can help you but yourself. This is the Truck Pac Es6000 and I want to share this review : Truck Pac ES6000 Jump Starter Review 2021 || M CRUNCH. I'm hoping I wont use it but I'm confident if anything bad might happen I have something as a back up for emergency.
Do you ever make a post without trying to sell something?

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Upgraded the rangers house, it fits now, and I can open the doors while inside. Last pic is something I saw at supply house on out of town job, just wanted to share. Plumbers humor

Attachments

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Got this for the front, Since my truck thinks its a mustang anyway.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals