• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what are the best prerunner bumper styles?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I have a legit question. Would it be a good idea to put a locker on a "pre-runner"? Or just keep my open diff? I have 2wd 5-speed 3.0 I was thinking of a powertrax. Lock-right.
open diff is the last thing you want if you're not driving on pavement... it is the WORST diff you can have if you have ANY type of traction issues, that being said, if you have moderate grip, and are off camber, so spinning both tires would land you sliding sideways, then an open diff would help greatly... ie, greasy (mud) trail off camber, if you spin both, you slide sideways, if you spin 1, one tire that isn't spinning will keep you from sliding, while the other, which is getting all the traction, will give you propulsion

@ my local Houstonian Green3.0,
Lockers don't fair very well on pavement, things tent to break when there is no give.
Prerunners tend to be on sand, dirt, and pavement at any point and time, and then you have the airtime and then the sudden impact of the ground, and its not always a perfect landing. so that give there differential does, is highly needed.
actually, lockers fair VERY well on pavement, they are designed to be locked when traction is needed, and unlocked when traction isn't needed, which will allow you to turn corners... i think you're getting "locker" and "spool" mixed up... spools as a rule are not good on road, because there is no give, however they are typically MUCH stronger than a welded open diff (lincoln locker) which functions as a spool, but is nothing more than open diff parts which are weak to begin with...

there are selectable and auto lockers, personally, i like auto lockers, like the true trac and such, no wiring, no switches, no air lines... nothing, it's a direct drop in in 99% of cases...

Yeah an LSD or open diff are kinda what I want for strictly driving off-road at high speeds but I'm also looking for something that's good on muddy trails. Maybe I need an Air locker. lol
you honestly need to do a little more research on what all of these are items do... i did a write up on a different forum that i won't reference directly, but i'll post a link to the thread with all of the terms and explanations, as soon as i post it on here...

Plastic prerunner bumper? You'd probably be the only guy in the world with that.

If you have the cash to drop on titanium (might want to check market rates on that stuff because its expensive) and know a guy with the skill and mechanical ability to fabricate it for you, I'd say go with it because you'd have one light weight, seriously solid bumper.

Your primary choices are aluminum or steel. Probably using 2" and 1.50" tubing. Then you need to decide if you want it to bolt on or weld on to your frame. Google designs you like, call a local CNC/welding/fabrication shop and show them what you want and ask for an estimate.
uh... :)

:icon_rofl: you just got trolled dude. There are some plastics out there that can withstand a substantial impact though! Merry christmas and don't take Weezl too seriously.
this, exactly this :D:D:D :icon_rofl:

I think that for your sake you should leave your truck the way it is.... I and just beat the crap out of it!! :headbang:

Your questions are so open ended up that there is no good way to answer them.. I except to be a smarta$$!

If you give these guys All the specs on your truck they can really set you up. But now you're going to have to be on your game to get some good info..
THIS GUY, freaking gets it! welcome to the site! though i don't completely agree with the first paragraph, the other 2 are spot on!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
This thread is still going?? I don't think I've read it since the last post I made...till now.

At least some info started flowing.... But yeah Uh...

Just buy a f150 raptor. That's suppose to be a badA prerunner right? Lol

Lockers, auto or selectable is a yes.
Bumpers, just something strong while remember that you wanna keep it light
Roll cage, bc you will get to cocky
Tires, locker won't help if your rubber sucks
Gears, low enough, don't be scared to gear!
Stong rear axles, 8.8 with a Detroit locker. Carrier is the weak link I think?
Driveshaft, one piece

So on. So forth. Build it some. Drive it wheel it. Upgrade what breaks.

Green3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
This thread is still going?? I don't think I've read it since the last post I made...till now.

At least some info started flowing.... But yeah Uh...

Just buy a f150 raptor. That's suppose to be a badA prerunner right? Lol

Lockers, auto or selectable is a yes.
Bumpers, just something strong while remember that you wanna keep it light
Roll cage, bc you will get to cocky
Tires, locker won't help if your rubber sucks
Gears, low enough, don't be scared to gear!
Stong rear axles, 8.8 with a Detroit locker. Carrier is the weak link I think?
Driveshaft, one piece

So on. So forth. Build it some. Drive it wheel it. Upgrade what breaks.
Trust me if I could I would have bought a Raptor from day one but a full time college student can't pay all of that for a truck. lol I don't don't think i really need traction on both wheels to go fast so I'll start with the open diff and then probably an LSD because they have better street manners than automatic lockers like the lock-right

Green3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Oh and no way in hell I'm getting a spool for my daily driver lol

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would do a lockrite if you're going to buy a NEW diff, if you're going to put something used in, go get a 4:10 LSD from the j/y out of a expo or something...

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there are selectable and auto lockers, personally, i like auto lockers, like the true trac and such, no wiring, no switches, no air lines... nothing, it's a direct drop in in 99% of cases...
QUOTE]

A Detroit TrueTrac is not a locker FYI.

Open diffs are unpredictable and annoying off-road.

Automatic lockers are not the greatest either for a serious prerunner. Although they work well in most aplications, they wont last long locking and un-locking constantly going through whoops and jumps, landing of camber, etc.

Full Spools are by far the best, but if its going to be a mild build and driven on the street I would suggest the Detroit TrueTrac. They are great working limited slip units, very strong, and dont have any clutches to wear out.

Green3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks appreciate everyone's ideas. I think I might go look for a good 8.8 with disc breaks from an explorer and then get a true trac for it

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A Detroit TrueTrac is not a locker FYI.
you're right, i was thinking lockrite

Automatic lockers are not the greatest either for a serious prerunner. Although they work well in most aplications, they wont last long locking and un-locking constantly going through whoops and jumps, landing of camber, etc.
true, but you wouldn't say they would be a bad idea for a DD/weekend rig, would you? being that most dd/ww rigs aren't driven super hard anyways... right?

Last edited:

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sport, since you hav a 4dr how bout you get a chassis and motor to go within!! LMAO!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals