• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

welder

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey, I figured this would be a good place to post because i know most of the thread authors in here are good welders. anyway,
i've been really wanting to get a welder/learn how to weld and was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to what to get or anything like that. I was thinking a small stick welder, from what i've read thats supposed to be the best to learn on? I dont have 220v in my garage but i could sacrifice an outlet and wire it up pretty easy. Anyway i don't have anything specific I need to weld, the thickest i can ever see myself needing to weld would be like a trailer hitch or something so like 3/16-1/4 I guess. I just wanted to pick it up cuz its something i've always been interested in but never had an opportunity to do. any advice for a beginner is welcomed,
thanks
:icon_cheers:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best thing you can do if you want to learn to weld is to take a course in it at your local community college or vocational school. 220v is definitely preferred when welding on anything around the thickness you mentioned. A small stick welder will well weld just about anything but thin sheet metal, however with the right electrode it can be done. I have an old Miller Thunderbolt but the new version is the same as the Hobart Stickmate and the Hobart is cheaper. If you do buy a stick make sure to get one with a dc option its much smoother to weld with and will make the welder way more versatile.

Another option is MIG. It is also versatile and is not much harder to learn.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the advice, ive got my eye on a little hobart and a lincoln on craigslist. Or i may get one new, they don't seem to be all that much more expensive new for the type of thing i'm looking for. But yes I hope to take a class this winter when im on break from school

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
dont bother with stick.

Start with mig. Many will say to get the biggest welder you can right off the bat, but I know that sometimes it just isn't in the budget. The best 115v welder you are going to find is the Millermatic 140Autoset. If you get this welder it is best to use Co2 as it will give it a little extra "kick".

If you can swing it, a Millermatic 212/252 would be your best option. A bigger welder is also easier to weld with as it has more power, and superior drive systems making them much smoother machines, even on thinner metals they will be much nicer. Also with a MM212/252, this means you don't ever have to upgrade.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or you can be a cheap skate like me and buy one from Harbor Freight:D
My 140amp mig is actually pretty sweet. And IMO mig is TONS easier to learn than stick.
Just my 0.02:icon_thumby:

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I just scored a Hobart Handler 140 Mig at Tractor Supply for $499.00. The best part is I actually got approved by my wife before I made the purchase for once. :)

I personally have owned a stick welder, do not remember the brand, it was an off brand in germany. I am by no means an expert welder but will say when I started welding with a Mig Welder I will say it was 500% easier then using the stick.

The Hobart 140 is a 115Volt machine and from all the reviews I have read say it does just fine in the thickness area you are looking to weld.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the input, as of now thinking I may still go with a stick b/c of price and lack of gas needed. But if the price is right mig is not out of the question. I will add a pic to the "lets see your welders thread" when i get something.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can use a wire feed welder with self shielding wire which eliminates the need for tanks, it's also more portable that way. It take a bit more practice to get good looking welds as it causes more splatter but it does get good penetration and if you are welding outside or in windy conditions it might actually be easier.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can get the HF 140 amp mig welder any day for about $300. I'm using the flux core wire right now, and I'm telling you it's dang easy to weld with.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would agree with most and say to buy a mig for your first welder. A flux core wire will eliminate the need for a tank and meter [~C$300.00] until you can better afford it. The flux core will penetrate better, especially on dirty metal, and like martin says is better outside in windy conditions. BUT there is a lot more clean up involved. Right now I use my lincoln 100 weld-pac and can weld 1/8 in one pass and thicker with more passes-cleaning between passes. I definitely agree about classes, there you can try different machines and see which suits you best. I'm self taught and have taken night classes to get better, well worth the money.
edit, some links;
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
http://www.instructables.com/id/SpoolGun/
Good luck,

Richard

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a Craftsman MIG, a little 120V one. I think it's made by Century. Works fine, I ue it mostly on exhaust things. I tend to use the stick welder more, though. I find I have to move the MIG around to get into tough spots because the cable doesn't like to be bent very sharply or it won't feed. On bigger things, a small MIG doesn't get much penetration.

Once your MIG is set up with the speed and tension correct, it's pretty much like gluing the parts together. It takes a litle patience to get it set up, though. A stick you do the setup as you're welding, once you have enough amps to make an arc. I'd say the most important thing is having enough power to weld and that you need a 220V machine to do truck parts. Mine is a Hobart AC Stickmate. Probably with a stcik, the durability of the transformer windings is the most important thing. A cheap stick is going to weld just as well as an expensive one, but for how long? For a MIG, I wouldn't buy a cheap one and always be screwing with it. I'd buy the best one I could lay my hands on so, as was stated, you get a good feed system.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have a lincoln 125 mig. it'll do up to 1/4", can take gas and it plugs into a regular wall outlet. i like it a lot. suits me just fine. i spent ~$500 for it and an auto darkening helmet. i plan on making some bumpers with it, radius arms and whatever else i feel like doing.

i was taught MIG in college and by taught i was given a 30 second "how to". figured out the rest by practicing and putting pics up here and getting some feedback. i'm pretty good at it now for being 95% self taught

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'd really recommend going with 220v if you can. I found my hardly used Lincoln 175hd on craigslist for $500 with a cart. If you do go with a 120v, like NMB2 said, use CO2 instead of 75/25 Ar/CO2, straight CO2 will weld hotter and give you better penetration, but it does make more splatter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals