• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weld new muffler to old pipes?

joecool85

Reaction score
I need to replace the muffler on my 2000 Ford Ranger and need to do it on a budget. I've been reading and all the muffler manufacturers recommend that if the old muffler had been welded on you need to replace the pipes that connect to it (tail pipe and connector pipe). Is this due to length issues? IE - if you cut the stock pipe to weld in a new muffler, it will be too short. Or is it that they are worried about rust or something? The length isn't much of an issue because I will be moving my exhaust so it comes out in front of the rear tire instead of at the back of the truck anyway.

So, can I use a new muffler on the old pipes and weld away or do I need new pipes? The tailpipe is solid, only surface rust from the looks of it, lots of metal left and no holes.

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If the old muffler was welded on and you replaced it with a new muffler of the same style & dimentions, you would run into length issues since you had to cut off some pipe to remove the old muffler. Since you are routing your exhaust out in front of the rear tire, you should be fine. If you plan on cutting up your factory tailpipe to use as your new tailpipe, my might need to have it expended or buy an adapter or two depending on your muffler. Also, you you plan on welding the new exhaust, make sure you plan the metal up good before welding and get a good ground. After I finish doing exhaust, i usually run the vehicle and warn the exhaust up and spray the welds with exhaust paint to help from rusting.

Last edited:

joecool85

Reaction score
If the old muffler was welded on and you replaced it with the same muffler, you would run into length issues since you had to cut off some pipe to remove the old muffler. Since you are routing your exhaust out in front of the rear tire, you should be fine. If you plan on cutting up your factory tailpipe to use as your new tailpipe, my might need to have it expended or buy an adapter or two depending on your muffler. Also, you you plan on welding the new exhaust, make sure you plan the metal up good before welding and get a good ground. After I finish doing exhaust, i usually run the vehicle and warn the exhaust up and spray the welds with exhaust paint to help from rusting.
Did you mean to say that since I am welding I need to make sure to clean the metal up good? Or did you mean plan the metal up good, as in, make sure it's in the right place before welding? :icon_welder:

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Did you mean to say that since I am welding I need to make sure to clean the metal up good? Or did you mean plan the metal up good, as in, make sure it's in the right place before welding? :icon_welder:
sorry :secret: CLEAN the pipe up good where you will be welding, as in remove any rust to get the best weld. Usually, if possible, I will put the muffler and tailpipe on the vehicle and get everything situated where I want it and tack the tailpipe to the muffler then take the muffler and tailpipe off as one piece to finish welding it. It is a lot easier to weld all the way around the pipe when it's off the vehicle and this will decrease the chance of leaks. That's just what I do though, since I'm not very good at welding when using a mirror. Good luck! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just make sure the area you are welding are free of rust, dirt and oil or grease of any kind...... using the old pipes is fine as long as it is still solid and not weak or rusted out

joecool85

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Makes me feel better about putting a $20 muffler on when I don't have to spend $50 in pipe to do it lol.

For those interested, it is a Walker 17900 I'll be installing.

**edit**
I will actually be installing a Jones ATT12S-3 Turbo Tube muffler instead. The 17900 has offset pipes (like the stock muffler) and was going to bring the exhaust side up higher than I wanted. To counteract this I could have cut the pipe back further towards the cab, but then the whole muffler would be lower than I wanted with the output at the right height. To do this with a no compromise end result, I needed a tube muffler. I didn't want a glasspack and I didn't want it to be stupid loud. Also I wanted it to be made in the USA, the Jones ATT12S-3 meets all of these criteria. We'll see what it looks and sounds like once I do the install. I'll be sure to share pics.

Last edited:

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Looks good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals