• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird transmission event I don't quite understand.

TYYYYLER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello!

I'm gonna list all the stuff leading up to today over the past 2 or 3 weeks before I describe what happened with my transmission, in case any of it is relevant.

I have a 1994 4.0 L V6 automatic 2wd Ranger. It has 150k miles and I'm not sure about the maintenance it has undergone in the past. About 3 weeks ago I changed the transmission fluid and filter because I thought I was going to tow my friends wrecked car to her house. Never did tow it though. I drove it for a day with low fluid after the change on accident, it would slip out of gear occasionally. Finally got it topped off the next day and no more problems.

Fast forward to last Sunday, me and 2 friends were going to go camping so I had the truck loaded with gear and people. I live in Phoenix AZ and it was a pretty hot day. The highway we were on was uphill in the desert (I17 through Black Canyon City if your familiar with the area). There was an accident on the freeway and this caused us to travel less than 3 mph for about an hour. This was causing my truck to run hotter than normal, about the midpoint on the temp gauge the whole time. I finally got off the road at the next exit and my truck was steaming a little.
I have a small coolant leak so I'm gonna guess that is why she got hot so fast and steamed a little. After I let it cool off she started up but was running rough and looked like some misfiring. The misfiring went away after a few minutes and the engine was running fine, but now it was slipping out of gear every couple of minutes. I limped the truck maybe 2 miles to an auto parts store and filled up the ATF. it took 2 quarts of fluid to fill it up. (I checked all my fluids that morning before we left and it was indeed full).
After I was filled up and everything looked good I got back on the freeway and I started smoking really bad, so I pulled over and found a pool of ATF about the size of my hand on the ground. It was leaking onto the exhaust and making smoke. I then drove home 45 miles with no problems after that. The leak did not come from the pan gasket I replaced a few weeks ago.
I've driven about 3 or 4 hundred miles since this happened, frequently checking my ATF fluid and it has stayed constant at a good level(not full but not low).

So my two questions are:
Could over heating have caused my transmission to somehow go through 2 quarts of fluid?

Why did I have a short lived leak after filling up with the 2 new quarts of ATF but then it stopped and hasn't leaked any more since? Could I have put just a little too much in and it somehow purged the excess fluid?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just want to be as thurough as possible with my explanation.
Thanks!

Syritis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
yes. automatics are quite finicky about when to check them. some trans are checked hot and some are checked cold. immediately after start up. I haven't read though my manual yet so i wouldn't know for sure. but my guess is it's just over flow.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check your manual on how to fill if you got it too full it will come out the vent but usually it'll still be too full after you it blows out the vent, if its too full it will froath and create air bubbles and pockets and air is compressible, so when it goes to shift it won't get full pressure on the piston or it'll take longer for the fluid to build up to create the pressure

TYYYYLER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It's checked in park running. I didn't know there was a vent tube. I guess that would explain the leak after I filled it.

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's usually just a button style vent on the top of the trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals