• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

weird shuddering or groaning when applying brakes

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
97 Ranger. Brakes were done in April 2016, rotors, pads and wheel bearings and all new hardware.

brakes work fine, I doublechecked the pads and rotors, they are fine, and the noise doesn't happen all the time, it is mostly at the end of the stop. putting on the brakes at speeds higher than 5-10 mph they work normally. truck stops normal.

I am thinking radius arm bushings are the culprit, but I do not see any shiny areas around them, but they do look like they have moved a little, just not much.

check the video out... the noise is much louder than what is being picked up by the cell phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wss7FVo3sQ

Whaddaya think, y'all?

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might check that the pads fit in the brackets snugly. On my parents '94 Explorer I think the knuckles were worn so the pads could shift around, it was a front brake eating nightmare that could make all sorts of strange noises if it wanted to. Your '97 has replaceable brackets though.

In both the ol' Explorer and my Ranger the only time the radius arm bushings made nose was changing directions. Back out of a parking spot and you could hear things shift around as the axle shifted ahead and then when you went to pull ahead you could hear things shift again as the axle was pushed back. Nothing while braking.

Might not hurt to check your front wheel bearings too.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I tend to agree, it doesn't really sound like suspension bushings to me.

The noise is a bit hard to discern what it is though (the sound is obvious, but the acoustics make it sound more like someone rapping on the roof with their knuckles or something). A dedicated camcorder or audio recorder with a better microphone might help.

Have you tried stopping the truck using just the parking brake? Might help to isolate whether its in the rear or front.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Hmm I will look deeper into the brakes. that annoys me that they would make that much noise in less than two years... and I did replace *all* of the hardware as well except for the brackets.

wheel bearings are good, that was one of my first thoughts after the brake pads.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
as for stopping the truck with the parking brake... nope, have not tried that... kind of afraid to activate it as I don't think I have ever used it, or maybe once or twice more than 8 or 9 years ago..

as for sound direction, Samsung Galaxy Note 8+ is the best I have. I am reasonably sure that it is coming from the front, but if I have some time this weekend I will take a look at the rear brakes. they were fine when I checked them in April of 2016.

AJ

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
as for stopping the truck with the parking brake... nope, have not tried that... kind of afraid to activate it as I don't think I have ever used it, or maybe once or twice more than 8 or 9 years ago..

as for sound direction, Samsung Galaxy Note 8+ is the best I have. I am reasonably sure that it is coming from the front, but if I have some time this weekend I will take a look at the rear brakes. they were fine when I checked them in April of 2016.

AJ
All new means nothing when it comes to brakes you could have bad rotors right out of the box and not know it, I didn't believe it either I had a badly warped front rotor and the whole back of the truck was jumping up and down.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I agree, new hardware doesn't mean anything in the brake business. Were your rotors turned? Sometimes new rotors need to be turned, and a bad lathe man can ruin a new rotor if it has been turned incorrectly. I worked at a brake shop for 3 years as a lathe man (the guy who turns rotors). Seen it happen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree, new hardware doesn't mean anything in the brake business. Were your rotors turned? Sometimes new rotors need to be turned, and a bad lathe man can ruin a new rotor if it has been turned incorrectly. I worked at a brake shop for 3 years as a lathe man (the guy who turns rotors). Seen it happen.
I kinda think if a new rotor needs turned... said new rotor needs returned.

I suppose they could be different, when I had warped rotors on my '150 the truck would shake terribly at about 20mph+. The pedal pulsed but it made no noise at lower speeds.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have something similar going on with my Ranger but it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, it will go many weeks without a sound. It usually happens after towing a while. I attribute it to the brake pad compound. I use an aggressive pad compound to improve stopping ability. I use Akebono pads and they work very well and are durable.

What kind of brake pads are you using?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
try lightly sanding the glaze off the rotors. its easy, free, and might work:icon_rofl:

my favorite method of de-glazing is a sanding disk in a drill. have an assistant keep the rotor spinning, you will get a swirl finish.

if the pads don't have one, make a thin cut in the middle going top to bottom to vent dust.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
the brakes have been on the truck almost 2 years, i think that if the rotors needed turned that would have reared its head back in 2016. Also, the truck brakes smoothly, just shudders and groans at low speed braking, and it does not do it all the time, just most of the time. if the rotors were out of spec i would feel that all the time when braking

the pads do have cut down the center. I don't remember the brand, but they were not bottom end, and they came with brand new anti noise clips.

I am going to wait until warmer weather and tear them down again...

AJ

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
the brakes have been on the truck almost 2 years, i think that if the rotors needed turned that would have reared its head back in 2016. Also, the truck brakes smoothly, just shudders and groans at low speed braking, and it does not do it all the time, just most of the time. if the rotors were out of spec i would feel that all the time when braking

the pads do have cut down the center. I don't remember the brand, but they were not bottom end, and they came with brand new anti noise clips.

I am going to wait until warmer weather and tear them down again...

AJ
Torque converter?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Torque converter?

lol bite your tongue..

nah it is definitely brake related. i can change the pitch and fervor of it by how hard i push the brake pedal down.

AJ

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you checked anything suspension wise? could be something loose that doesn't look loose until it has the weight of the truck pushing on it (when braking). I would jack it up and take a pry bar and start prying on things in the direction it would move when braking. might be something to look into. I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about the suspension, steering or hubs. you could have all new brakes but new brakes on a bad hub or bearing do you no good.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
sounds like it may be rear brake related to me, might want to yank a drum and take a look at it, if your adjustment is out it could also cause issues with noise but you'd get excessive pedal travel too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals