• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weight Limits/Ratings Stock Rims (D-Style)

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if anyone has a link or some form of real spec on max load of the stock 15 x7 "D-Style" double spoke rims on Ranger. Mine are from my 07' but rims were used on 2000-2011 models. I looked around on this site and read the wheel info guide someone posted , also checked various sites on web including wheelsize.com. I cleaned up wheel looking for weight limit stamped somewhere on them and found other info specs but not weight. Here is what is stamped : 15x7 JX 12, 7L54-1007-AA , DML RA M3 and T-DOT M (date) I have other rims that had the weight limit stamped on them so I know some rims have them. Have another totally diff old spare set of Ford Stock 15" x 7" alloy rims that has 1539lbs stamped inside. Means nothing though as far as what a diff rim would rate.
One could "assume" these D-Style rims would be the same but we all know where "assuming" can lead so looking for an actual rating and I can't be the only one who has needed to check. You may wonder why the heck do I care? Reason is I have accumulated several sets of Ford 15" rims and was thinking of replacing my old rusty steel wheels on my RV with a set of these alloys and 8 or 10 ply truck tires which would undoubtedly be better tires than trailer tires. If I put rims on that are rated 1539lbs max then they would be rated lower than the 1916lbs my rims need to be each per axle going by my max weight rating on trailer. An you just know if I had an incident on highway the insurance company would be looking for an out to pay as they often do, and rims not rated high enough would be something they would try and use to blame me and refuse coverage. Anyways these rims might be rated high enough, or might not be and thought I would pick brains on here and see if someone had something concrete I could go by as proof? Here is the specific Rim I am referring to:

Thanks in advance for anyone who actually has the weight limit specs on these.
Cheers,
Steve

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would think "Tire Choice" is more of what you should be looking for. The rims are all going to do the same thing. It's the tires that you'll need to hold up to all that weight.

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Oh for sure Tire specs are equally important, but I can get tire info on any tire in 30 seconds and ensure they have adequate load rating etc.
But putting a tire rated for 3500lbs on a rim rated for 1500lbs is no better than putting a tire rated for 1500lbs on a rim rated for 3500lbs. The weakest link will fail first if you exceed your rating on either part. My only issue I have and am seeing if anyone actually knows is the max weight rating for these particular rims?
If I can't find that then I won't use em on my trailers that require a min of 1800 on one and 1916lbs on the other trailer.
Does that clarify better what I am seeking?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Oh for sure Tire specs are equally important, but I can get tire info on any tire in 30 seconds and ensure they have adequate load rating etc.
But putting a tire rated for 3500lbs on a rim rated for 1500lbs is no better than putting a tire rated for 1500lbs on a rim rated for 3500lbs. The weakest link will fail first if you exceed your rating on either part. My only issue I have and am seeing if anyone actually knows is the max weight rating for these particular rims?
If I can't find that then I won't use em on my trailers that require a min of 1800 on one and 1916lbs on the other trailer.
Does that clarify better what I am seeking?
Rangers arnt very heavy trucks and arnt designed for super heavy payloads. I doubt fords going to put 7 or 8000lb of rim on a truck with a GVWR of like 5000lbs

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
FYI: there are 2 basic versions of that wheel.
from 2000 to about 2008 and then 2009-2011.
the latter have a revised inner barrel to accommodate larger brakes.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
checking out aftermarket wheels at Summit Racing the load ratings seems to loosely follow the mounting bolt quantity
5 holes topped out at 2100 lbs, some as low as 1600
saw a couple 6 holes at 3250 lbs
for 8 holes 3500 was common.
I have some of those wheels unmounted, I'll check 'em out.

EDIT:
per one wheel website, take the factory maximum gross weight per axle, front or rear, and divide by 2.
the factory equipped wheel will be at least that amount.
yeah, I know, on a Ranger that isn't much.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In the tickle trunk of useless data, I have the 2000 Explorer and Ranger body builder manuals:

All Explorer rims except the cast aluminium - Luxury wheel have a Max.Whl Cap (lbs at ground) of 1,600 lbs. The Luxury rim is 1,500 lbs.​
All Ranger rims have a Max.Whl Cap (lbs at ground) of 1,600 lbs.​
Case closed.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now riddle me this:

I have a 2017 F-150 with HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) - with GAWR (rear) of 4,800 lbs.
The Silver Aluminium (HDPP) rims (18 x 7/5) have a Max.Whl Cap (lbs at ground) of 2,275 lbs​
(Springs are 4,800 lbs, Axle is 4,800 lbs)​

So, is my F-150 really only rated to 4,550 lbs on rear? Or Ford's stamp of 4,800 lbs on the door jam??

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rangers arnt very heavy trucks and arnt designed for super heavy payloads. I doubt fords going to put 7 or 8000lb of rim on a truck with a GVWR of like 5000lbs
I agree with you totally, and I have no expectation of them being rated any higher than the bare minimum to be legal on the Ranger. But that said I find it odd that there is nothing stamped on rims anywhere that could verify it's limit. Tires are required to have this and with the huge market of rims I would have thought any manufacturer would have to show the weight limit on rim since they already stamp the other specs like offset, width etc. But maybe not?

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Now this is apples vs oranges example but def proves that it doesn't have anything to do with bolt pattern. All these 15" rims don't "look" any beefier or stronger than 15" rims for Ranger , Explorer etc and they all are 5 by 4 1/2" bolt pattern. Yet they are all rated for 2150lbs each. They are 15" x 6" though vs 15" x 7" on my Ranger rims.
Def something about their design that gives them a high weight rating. Hard to justify buying 4 or 5 15" "Trailer" alloys when I might have a 8 spare 15" Truck alloys just sitting around I could use if I was able to confirm the weight limit on them. Rather spend the $$ on good rubber . And like I said I don't think Ford should have sold rims that were any sturdier than the min required for the Ranger/Explorer etc. Just more curious how the heck one finds the weight limit on them so I could rule them out for anything other than on my truck or use them on one of my trailers. Would look better than those ugly cheap steel rims that rust as soon as you mount them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, for alloy wheels, 5 lug, 1,700 to 2,100lbs sounds about right
There can be a stamped weight rating on the inside of a cast wheel, but have to look real close to find it and its NOT required so..................hit and miss

Ranger rear axle capacity is 2,750lbs so 1,375lbs per wheel/tire
Explorer is 3,200lbs so 1,600lbs per wheel/tire

On single axle trailers, car wheels and tires are OK

On tandem axle trailer you should use trailer wheels and tires, and thinner tires and wheels
Car wheels and tires are not build for the torsional force that tandem axles produce when turning, and the thinner tires can slide easier during that force than wider tires

Single axle 5 lug trailer probably won't be rated above 3,500lbs, 1,750lbs per wheel, unless its a goose neck design then it could be rated up 5,000-6,000lbs since some(1/3) of the weight is transferred to towing vehicle

Slowly but surely

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Now riddle me this:

I have a 2017 F-150 with HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) - with GAWR (rear) of 4,800 lbs.
The Silver Aluminium (HDPP) rims (18 x 7/5) have a Max.Whl Cap (lbs at ground) of 2,275 lbs​
(Springs are 4,800 lbs, Axle is 4,800 lbs)​

So, is my F-150 really only rated to 4,550 lbs on rear? Or Ford's stamp of 4,800 lbs on the door jam??
Hmmm, makes you wonder eh. I almost regret taking a closer look at rim weight limits because there is VERY little info out there. Judging by what specs most sites offer that I have looked at all that matters is appearance, offset and bore size. Safety schmafety I guess. ha ha

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I looked at a couple 2000 and 1 2010 wheel.
all I can add is that the # stamped next to "C#" is a date code.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you're really into research this site may be interesting.
unfortunately you have to pay for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals