• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Was I taken?

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1988 Ranger 4x4 and on the drive home it started to run terrible. At first it would miss when I stepped down on the gas, but would smooth out if I let back up. Eventually it would miss all the time. I had to drive it 40 miles to get back to my house with a pass in the middle. Well half way up the pass and I was down to first gear and missing real bad. I managed to limp to the top of the pass and down the other side. I got to within 10 miles of home and gave it up. It didn't have enough power to pull any hills. Took it to my mechanic the next day and he ran a scan on it. Only codes that came up were MAP sensor and coolant temp sensor. I changed these along with dist. cap and rotor, and no change. It feels like I am taking off in 3rd gear when in fact I am in 1st. The guy I bought it from had changed the ignition control module just before I bought it. Neither I nor the mechanic can figure it out. I am hoping you guys with ranger experience can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Was the truck sitting for a long time?

And just out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it had sat for a while, however did not run like this when I test drove it. The guy was asking $1600, but I got it for $1200. The body is straight, no major damage, interior is good, came with a canopy. He also put a new starter on the day I bought it. He also replaced both fuel pumps and fuel filter recently. The truck has 113,000 on it if I can believe the prev. owner.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it isn't missing and jumping around.. It simply doesn't want to have any power.. I'd be looking at stopped up exhaust. Either a cat or muffler will cause the exact same problem.
Big Jim

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
If it isn't missing and jumping around.. It simply doesn't want to have any power.. I'd be looking at stopped up exhaust. Either a cat or muffler will cause the exact same problem.
Big Jim
agreed +1

the only other thing that springs to mind , considering how long it sat....& the length of the trip, that you need to change the fuel filter.

how did it test drive, when you bought it?

Last edited:

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I test drove it it ran a lot better, power was decent and it wasn't missing. Now it almost acts like it is getting cross fire, like the plug wires are crossed, but I checked them and they are all right.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok lets make up your mind here.. Is it missing? Does it miss all the time? Does it only miss when wide open? Does is seem like it is running out of gas? Does it do this when cold? Or is it smooth and simply don't have any power?
Give a better description of how it is acting.
Big JIm

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok,here is more about it. When I first started driving it heading home, ran ok, slight miss on exceleration. Longer I drove worse it got. About 15 miles into the trip, going up a pass, missing all the time, not enough power to pull itself even in 1st gear, limped it to the top, coasted down other side, limped it another 12 miles and pulled it over with another steep hill to climb and no promise of making it. Next morning, took it to my mechanic, who happens to be about 200 yds from where I parked it. He ran the codes and it came back MAP sensor, and coolant temp sensor. Replaced them both, same thing, no change. Today I towed it home and changed the fuel filter. What came out of the filter can only be described as rust colored gas. Yep, must be bad news in the tank. Got some fuel stabilizer and fuel injection cleaner, put that along with 5 gal. of good gas in the tank and started it, it is starting to clear out, some power back, but not all of it. Still not sure if that is the whole problem or not. The miss gets worse, as you step on the accelorator and is constant.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
my guess is you may have a crappy O2 sensor. try running with the sensor unplugged. it will set a code, but won't go into closed loop and run on defaults. if it runs better then I'd say you have something going on in the cat like a bad O2 sensor.,

IMHO, 1200 isn't a bad price for cheap transportation. If you can't leave it at Walmart because it might get stolen, then it is a GOOD deal.

Last edited:

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tried running with the O2 unplugged, no difference. Did notice however, that the exhaust manifolds didn't get very hot, but the cat did. How can you tell if the cat is plugged?

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I'd look more into the fuel if it sat for that long. I don't know if fuel additives and a little fresh gas on top of whats in there would take it out right away. If it's bad enough it could have gotten past the filter and started clogging injectors and it ran ok during the test drive cause the filter handled it for a little while. Might be worth pulling the tank draining it out inspecting it to see if it needs more work (rust? sludge?) Fill her up with some fresh go juice and use some fuel system cleaner to hopefully clear out the lines/injectors. But not being there makes it harder to diagnose. Good luck

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is the way I am leaning, dump the tank and start over. When I changed the filter, the old filter had rust colored gas coming out both ends, not good. So I am sure some got into the injectors. I put in some injector cleaner and havent ran it too much, but if it doesn't clear out tomorrow, I will probably get to dropping the tank. Is there anything to put in the tank when I have it out to clean it? I will change the filter again and see what happens. Also, what to do with the old gas that is in the tank now? Is there a safe way to get rid of it?

Mysticcook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my yard / driveway gas makes a good weed killer!!. Dont know how to get rid of old gas. If it was my truck i would take off gas filter turn on key allow gas to flow into a container then let it sit to see what seperates water etc. A friend or family member helps, one to turn key one to catch the gas coming from gas tank.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
In my yard / driveway gas makes a good weed killer!!. Dont know how to get rid of old gas. If it was my truck i would take off gas filter turn on key allow gas to flow into a container then let it sit to see what seperates water etc. A friend or family member helps, one to turn key one to catch the gas coming from gas tank.
^^ agreed also makes for real nice bonfire starter.

when you go to get to the tank...it usually is easier to pull the bed off , rather than drop the tank. In this way you are above most of the crud falling to the ground.

and don't for get a new fuel filter...if the system is junk filled as you described, that new filter is caught a-lot already.

here is some good info on injectors too. As long as your doing all that don't neglect them either.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=38

xploridaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm convinced my problem is fuel. More accurately bad fuel. I put some Lucas fuel injector and top end oil in the tank and I am able to run it. More I run it, the better it gets. I actually got into 2nd gear a few minutes ago. Still not much power, but I believe I have some plugged injectors and maybe will clean up as I run this tank out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals