• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Warped heads 2.9L?

CarsonChris68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Can a machine shop fix them if they are out of spec? I took mine off and I don't see any cracks. Mahle heads from Germany. Look fairly clean but might be out a little bit in the middle.

rngmStr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xplorer
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
shaved heads............... machine shop gotcha

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Was your engine leaking coolant into the crankcase?

Typically "Warping" and head gasket leaks that would result from this is NOT the cause
of any leaks, cracked heads (cracked on TOP)

And machining "warped" 2.9 heads without carefully measuring the block decks
to see if they have a matching "Warp" will cause the heads to crack when"straight"
heads are bolted back onto a warped block (or even on the wrong side of the block they came off of)

AD

CarsonChris68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't measured the block yet. You have a good point. I've thoroughly examined the heads and don't see any cracks. I've seen the cracks in other 2.9's that I've had and wound up swapping engines. Passenger side leaked under head gasket. The driver side didn't have leaks.

I recently bought this BII and I'm trying to get her running. Other owner had the bottom radiator hose come off and it over heated. It sat for approximately a year with oil antifreeze mix internally. I bought a pair of "new" heads off the internet that were manufactured in China and I think these are more out of spec than the originals.

Last edited:

CarsonChris68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Heads are at the machine shop. Going to pressure test, machine, and get a valve job. Hopefully be done by Wednesday. Would be nice to put this back together again over the weekend. Then I'll be looking for the 8.8 rear and Dana 35.

jhammel85

I haven't measured the block yet. You have a good point. I've thoroughly examined the heads and don't see any cracks. I've seen the cracks in other 2.9's that I've had and wound up swapping engines. Passenger side leaked under head gasket. The driver side didn't have leaks.

I recently bought this BII and I'm trying to get her running. Other owner had the bottom radiator hose come off and it over heated. It sat for approximately a year with oil antifreeze mix internally. I bought a pair of "new" heads off the internet that were manufactured in China and I think these are more out of spec than the originals.
What was the company you dealt with online? I want to make sure to stay away from them..I'm sure anyone else with a 2.9 would too!

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What was the company you dealt with online? I want to make sure to stay away from them..I'm sure anyone else with a 2.9 would too!
+1

I am looking for new heads and don't wanna buy from the wrong place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals