• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Warn hub install?

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So i just picked up my new warn manual hubs and i was just wondering how hard it would be to install them myself. I am not a mechanic, but i am not completely incompetent. I have just never tried anything like this before. Now i have looked through the tech library and it doesnt look to complicated, it looks like the hardest part is getting that little pin out.

If any one could give me some tips on how to do this or just let me know how difficult this will be please let me know.

Also if i do try and got my auto hubs off and cant get the new ones on how bad would it be to leave the old hubs off and drive to the nearest shop(just around the corner, not even a minute drive).

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Here you go it should help...
I would suggest adding blue lock tight to the nutz because other wise they may back out and destroy the hub..
I did this mod and it was not that hard at all but make sure your bearing are in good shape . I had to put new bearing with my install and you need a inch -pound torque wrench and the socket to remove the stock nut and the 4 point socket for the manual hub...
Oh by the way alway make sure to have the o-ring inplace and greased on both sides other wise water will seep in and destroy your bearing like mine lol...
CLick here

Last edited:

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice, i think i am goin to try and do it myself. I really wana try and do most or all of this build by myself. This will be the first step.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Post pics, cause I'm gonna have to do it soon.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
ok, here goes, just did it the other day on my explorer...

pull the tire off, remove hub if it didn't come with the tire, toss it over your shoulder... take a pair of screwdrivers and remove the C clip on the splined shaft (don't loose it) then remove the splined washer, keep it too. now pull off the cam things from the auto hubs, take a strong magnet and remove the key thing from the slot, you might have to wiggle the nut back and forth with your hands (at most you'll need channel lock pliers, no use getting that fancy socket for one use), then unscrew the nut.

now install the new lock nuts starting with the one with the pin, follow torquing instructions from someone else, all I'll say is I don't use a torque wrench... then the washer with the holes in it then the outer nut, tighten this one as TIGHT AS YOU CAN, some people say 250ftlb, I just went until I couldn't get it any tighter... Next is to put on the splined washer and the C clip thing then slide on the hub, you might have to reach behind and turn the axle shaft. now put the tire back on... simple as that

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well im starting to think i can actually do this, so in the next day or two im goin for it. Unless someone else comments and makes me realize that i cant do it without screwing up.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually going to try and do to this to my '94. The auto hubs are starting to go kaputski on me.

I'm also going to man up & ask my dad for help on this too.

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok so i went to bensons today to get the socket i need to put the new hubs on but they have no idea what one i need and neither do i. can anyone tell me what one i need

clark89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
God i hate you.

So i went back to bensons and talked to someone that actually knows what there talkin about and they found me the socket i need. Only problem is that it will take about a week or so for it to come in. My hubs only took 2 days to get here, this sucks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
go to a different store, but this time ask for the socket for a 79 bronco... the dana 44 socket is FRIGGIN COMMON and is the same thing as needed for the D28/D35 manual hub nuts...

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Just tell them a 1/2 ton hub spindle nut socket...cant get any easier than that.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
shit i could buy and ship you one quicker

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals