• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Waggy 44 or EB 44

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You should buy the 78 and wheel it WITHOUT cutting it up because those are becoming hard to find, and will be gone soon.

78 is not the ideal year for D44. It will be a HP D44 and a 9". The 44 in that year has the cast wedges, look for an earlier one if you are really serious about this.

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
so that means no about reusing the factory coil mounts on the axle for the setup?

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
and if i did get a 78 or other year with cast on wedgies i could just replace the axle shafts and be done with it right?...just been having a hard time find a damn d44 full width with welded wedgies!!! :mad:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
run it full width

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
o yea definetly runnin it full width and i just read on another forum where a member with like a 01 or 02 ran a full width d44 outta 79 bronco and he left it as is with the cast wedgies and ran coils off the factory mounting points and built a shock hoop for the spring and shock up front...nice clean lookin setup, think coils is the way im goin

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
thats what i would do. till a better axle came along. the sla chassis will be just right if you actually mod 2wd 70-77 buckets to work with this setup.

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
just making sure that that setup would indeed work for me before i went and bought a whole parts truck...i may look into that 78 f150 more then, gonna give the guy a call tomorrow and ask him a few questions...im set on coils now and it just seems like purchasing a truck for 400-600(the 78 f150 i was talkin bout earlier) with the casted wedgies ready for coils,radius arms i need(which ill extend), and tires and wheels (if for nothin else i could use for mock up) would save me a lil money and time hunting down stuff...not tryin to cut corners or make it any easier just seems if thats the way im goin and if itll work then i can kill 2,3, 4 birds with one stone

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just popped in here in the last page and thought I'd give my input on the 78/79 housings. Depending on your intended use, tire size, ride height, etc the case wedges may or may not be good.

I narrowed a 79 housing and kept the radius arm setup. After going through all the work, I found that even after extending the RA's and using 7* c-bushings, I couldn't tuck em up as close to the frame as I had hoped. Looking back I wish I would've gotten an axle with welded wedges so I would have the option to either run RA's or link it. With the cast wedges I'm stuck with a RA setup no matter what.

Just something to think about.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It all depends on how much money you have. The D44 with the welded wedges are out there, just give it time and you will find one. It is much easier to figure out exactly what you WANT and buy that than buying a bunch of random stuff that kind of works and having to buy stuff twice.

liljoe0985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slowwwwwwwwwww
Transmission
Automatic
anyone out there with ideas for a mount for coil and shock setup? does any manufacturer sell one? Ive seen the ones just for the shock hoop...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The tech library covers a lot of this. Read the section about solid axle swaps.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I just popped in here in the last page and thought I'd give my input on the 78/79 housings. Depending on your intended use, tire size, ride height, etc the case wedges may or may not be good.

I narrowed a 79 housing and kept the radius arm setup. After going through all the work, I found that even after extending the RA's and using 7* c-bushings, I couldn't tuck em up as close to the frame as I had hoped. Looking back I wish I would've gotten an axle with welded wedges so I would have the option to either run RA's or link it. With the cast wedges I'm stuck with a RA setup no matter what.

Just something to think about.

you have options still, you can mod mounts on to the arm cap ends to do some sort of 3 link or other end selections.

for 600 bux, a complete operational drivetrain equipped truck is nice to have.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
just making sure that that setup would indeed work for me before i went and bought a whole parts truck...i may look into that 78 f150 more then, gonna give the guy a call tomorrow and ask him a few questions...im set on coils now and it just seems like purchasing a truck for 400-600(the 78 f150 i was talkin bout earlier) with the casted wedgies ready for coils,radius arms i need(which ill extend), and tires and wheels (if for nothin else i could use for mock up) would save me a lil money and time hunting down stuff...not tryin to cut corners or make it any easier just seems if thats the way im goin and if itll work then i can kill 2,3, 4 birds with one stone
The factory radius arms are acceptable in most cases depending on were they fall on your frame rails (interfering with other pre existing items). I do not recommend extending the stock radius arms, if I remember correctly they are cast steel and should not be welded. I assume you are familiar with how those cast wedges affect your camber? Along with the 7 degree C-wedge bushings Brad is talking about?

I am under the impression you are diving in way over your head here and am trying to help you.

I was NOT flaming you before. The bottom line is the IFS d35 will withstand 35 inch tires if its left open and not beaten without mercy. If you decide to leave your stock setup and lock your rear axle, it mite amaze you how much it can handle. Being to cool kid on the block is not everything its cracked up to be.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Being to cool kid on the block is not everything its cracked up to be.

And just about the time you get it done, your buddy will build something bigger, case in point:

-andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals