• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vacuum-powered switch no longer works...

Centurion13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I drive a 1998 Ranger, standard cab, RWD, no A/C.

There are three dials on the heater/air control.

- Leftmost dial controls the blower speed. Works fine.

- Center dial controls the heat/fresh air mix. Clockwise, more heat.

- Rightmost dial controls the distribution of the air and turns the blower on and off.

My problem is with the air distribution. I routinely adjust this knob to shift the warm air from the passenger's feet to the windows to defog/defrost in the morning and late evening. There's always a delay before I hear a muffled sound and the air changes direction. I understand the direction flappers or valves or whatever are powered by vacuum.

The trouble is this: today I shifted the knob from the windshield to the cabin and nothing happened. At all settings, the air continues to flow to the windshields.

I have no idea where to trace the vacuum hoses for this function, nor what might be wrong with the hoses all of a sudden.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Steve

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals