• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Conversion Headers

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are a specific set of torque monsters for a v8 ranger conversion, but the pics of them on their website don't look any different from the explorer set. The problem with those is the price and availabilty.
The DS is routed differently to clear whatever a "power steering booster" is.

My beef is with the other side, the four pipes going back are about in the same place as the frame is on my truck.

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The DS is routed differently to clear whatever a "power steering booster" is.
The "power steering booster" is the Ford re-design of the PS pump assembly. It is now 2 pieces - pump with separate reservoir. No idea why they did on the Ex - it takes up more room under the hood. :(

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The "power steering booster" is the Ford re-design of the PS pump assembly. It is now 2 pieces - pump with separate reservoir. No idea why they did on the Ex - it takes up more room under the hood. :(
Why would they have to worry about that clearing in just Rangers and BIIs? Wouldn't that be delt with when they came up with the regular Explorer headers? And that would only be a concern if the swapper was keeping the Ex FEAD.

The two piece pump/res is on the top front of the engine, both designs only have the one tube back that bolts on by #7 that would deal with anything up there. #6, 7, and 8 are the ones that are rerouted. It looks like they are more worried about something beside the engine to me... maybe the brake booster. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why would they have to worry about that clearing in just Rangers and BIIs? Wouldn't that be delt with when they came up with the regular Explorer headers? And that would only be a concern if the swapper was keeping the Ex FEAD.

The two piece pump/res is on the top front of the engine, both designs only have the one tube back that bolts on by #7 that would deal with anything up there. #6, 7, and 8 are the ones that are rerouted. It looks like they are more worried about something beside the engine to me... maybe the brake booster. :icon_confused:
The "They" you refer to is Bob who does the headers one at a time in his spare time/week-ends. He's not like Hedmans who makes swap headers that don't fit. He did a custom set for a F-150 and charged the guy $1900 (lots of travel). The main problem with the later Ranger/Explorers is the steering shaft and suspension, it gets tight down there. Does work with you very well - if you have a year he deals with.
Dave of the Nord

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The "They" you refer to is Bob who does the headers one at a time in his spare time/week-ends. He's not like Hedmans who makes swap headers that don't fit. He did a custom set for a F-150 and charged the guy $1900 (lots of travel). The main problem with the later Ranger/Explorers is the steering shaft and suspension, it gets tight down there. Does work with you very well - if you have a year he deals with.
Dave of the Nord

Those are in a torsion bar RBV of some sort and are the regular Explorer headers.

What I am curious about is what is he refering to by "power steering booster" and why the header had to be rerouted for it.

http://torquemonsterheaders.com/multimedia.html#TorqueMonsterSwapHeaders

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He has to be talking about the power steering box, that's all I can figure. It boosts your manual input. His background is as a Engineer at a airchaft company so his terms might not be "gearhead" talk. You put a set of the torson headers next to the coil spring ones, hard to tell the difference.
Dave

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone thought about trying a set of the old "Hi-Po" headers? Some of the Mustang guys have been using them in their classics and the "P" heads. Mustang Unlimited has them for $260, look like they will clear the plugs. Not sure how they would fit the Ranger chassis.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone thought about trying a set of the old "Hi-Po" headers? Some of the Mustang guys have been using them in their classics and the "P" heads. Mustang Unlimited has them for $260, look like they will clear the plugs. Not sure how they would fit the Ranger chassis.
Dave

I don't think they would fit too bad, they look a lot better than any other option I have seen for the P heads too.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone tried this yet? Particularly with the V6 mounts?

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Has anyone tried this yet? Particularly with the V6 mounts?

Those can be found here and are made specifically for our application. I just don't like them because if I am going to spend money on headers, then I want some that are at the very least mandrel bent and don't have the "kink" in them, and also have some sort of flange for attachment instead of the u-bolt style clamp. Both things seem cheap to me, and better hope you don't ever have to unhook the exhaust for anything, because after a time or two you'll never get them to seal up right, and worst case they'll be deformed too much to use at all.

EDIT: They don't look like they would work with the "p" heads either, could be wrong though.

Last edited:

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Putting headers in a v-8 ranger with p heads seems to create two big issues. Of course there are the clearance problems fitting them into the ranger itself, around the steering shaft, frame, and I'm sure there are other things. The issue with the p-heads seems to be spark plug clearance. The plugs are located a little differently and at a different angle which creates the problems. You could use a shorter length spark plug, but the disadvantage to that is they are pretty expensive, and they will still be difficult to put in. You also need to run different spark plug boots as well.

Robbed these from a mustang site.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have a pic of the 70's style manifolds on a first gen with no body lift?

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
My contribution: Hedman 88400 headers; 1.5" primaries, 2.5" collectors, 163$ from Summit Racing, and they fit like a charm on a 4x4, here are pics showing clearances. No interference with anything.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
So after reading all this I still would like to know if anything is available for the 98+ Rangers that fits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals