• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgraded from the Ranger

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I upgraded from my 1995 Ranger to a 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins Laramie SLT. Im the second owner now. It has 185xxx miles, sun disk Triple disk tc with full rebuild, 150 gph FASS pump, AFE Stage II Intake, AFE manifold to 4" straight pipe, 3" lift, airbags, wheels and 305/70/18 Nitto's, Color matched bed cover, tow package, sound system, The trucks interior is in perfect shape as if it were to come from the factory!! Anyway pictures are better than my words.... even though I only have two on my PC... I have since removed the black stripe on the side...I have had it a couple months now.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Take a dodge any day over a chevy and the cummins is a power plant. Congrats.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As a friend once told me "I'd rather be Cummin than stroking".

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Thats not an upgrade. :thefinger:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I liked the late 90's early 2000's body style, I had a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 R/C 318, 5 Speed 4x4. Other than the 3.55 gears in the rear axle which sucked for towing, it was a great truck until the dealer I got it from had to replace the clutch. I didn't even have the truck a day and the throw out bearing failed and came apart damaging the clutch. They resurfaced the flywheel and didn't balance it properly (I'm thinking they didn't balance it period), it vibrated so bad, I took it back and their mechanic jumps in it, fires it up and revs the engine a couple times and gets out and hands me the key and says its just a lose exhaust shield or skid plate, never even attempted to fix it. They wanted me to pay them another $760 to fix their mess. I said hell no and drove it until the vibration took out the bearings in the rear end and the transmission then told them they could have it back since there was nothing wrong with it. I miss that truck, but don't miss that dealership.

The Cummins Diesel is a great engine, wouldn't mind having one, but I'd definitely go for the manual transmission the auto's suck behind all that torque in the diesel engine and don't hold up too well.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
id rather have a cummins in my b2 truthfully. i have a 98 quad cab with the 5.9. this truck has 298,000 miles and the block has never been cracked open, the auto trans was replaced by the dealer under warrenty at 70,000 for a defect. it will give out soon than the motor will. and this motor still has almost every ounce of peep that it did from the factory.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yar, who wouldn't love a cummins. Too bad 4bt's aren't cheap...

Then again, Mopar/Dodge dont make Cummins engines.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
id rather have a cummins in my b2 truthfully. i have a 98 quad cab with the 5.9. this truck has 298,000 miles and the block has never been cracked open, the auto trans was replaced by the dealer under warrenty at 70,000 for a defect. it will give out soon than the motor will. and this motor still has almost every ounce of peep that it did from the factory.
A cummins in a B2 would be awesome, but out of my price range LOL. Look for replacing the transmission every 40-80k LOL, yeah "Defect" my ass, its called wrong transmission to handle the diesel's huge amount of torque, its a very common problem in the Dodge trucks.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I remember seeing the carnage a Cummings created on a 5 spd manual. The driver pulled a hole shot, and when he hit second, the torque tore the bell housing off the engine . Brand new truck , guy was pulling out of the dealership. :icon_rofl:
I did more off roading in stock 60s bugs than I ever did in 4 wd. I would love an F250 with a 300 and a good 4spd with 4wd . Or a straight 6 C20 4x4 . or an 80s J20, Dodge , not so much.

I am an old fart , but I still work on my cars. Trucks these days should have stairs that drop down when the doors are opened. I'm 6' more or less and I dont like working on my tip toes .

Its a nice truck, Ryannn, Just not where I'm at car wise. I would have to pay somebody else to fix your rig. The truck is a work truck. Unless it helps you earn a living working out of it . It is an expensive rig to maintain just to drive around in. The engine is prolly fine at 180k but how about the rest of the truck?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
A cummins in a B2 would be awesome, but out of my price range LOL. Look for replacing the transmission every 40-80k LOL, yeah "Defect" my ass, its called wrong transmission to handle the diesel's huge amount of torque, its a very common problem in the Dodge trucks.
Oh no no, it wasnt a diesel it was the 5.9 magnum that has 298,000 miles. And the trans defect was somethibg with the reverse. But the auto behind a diesel dont stand up to the torque no matter the brand besides maybe a allison transmission.

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Its a nice truck, Ryannn, Just not where I'm at car wise. I would have to pay somebody else to fix your rig. The truck is a work truck. Unless it helps you earn a living working out of it . It is an expensive rig to maintain just to drive around in. The engine is prolly fine at 180k but how about the rest of the truck?
The whole truck is flawless, it is not a work truck. Sometimes I pull a smaller camper behind it or a car trailer with a vehicle on it, or even a dump trailer, orrrr tote the quads around with it. It is expensive to drive but I like driving it alot! It gets 22 mpg city/hwy thats 7 mpg more than my Ranger got!!

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The whole truck is flawless, it is not a work truck. Sometimes I pull a smaller camper behind it or a car trailer with a vehicle on it, or even a dump trailer, orrrr tote the quads around with it. It is expensive to drive but I like driving it alot! It gets 22 mpg city/hwy thats 7 mpg more than my Ranger got!!
he meant repairs, heavier duty parts cost more than your ranger. it was intended to be a work truck, it's a heavy duty.

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
he meant repairs, heavier duty parts cost more than your ranger. it was intended to be a work truck, it's a heavy duty.
I know parts are expensive and I have a well paying job so it is not that big of a concern to me.

Mudstomper99

Law Enforcement
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I loved my cummins when I had it only thing I would suggest if you don't have it is get a fuel pressure gauge so you don't burn up your vp pump. That's the only real concern I know with the 24v. I had the ol 12v and couldn't kill it here is mine when I got rid of it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals