• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted Upgraded 140amp alternator for 2.9 ranger.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking for a bigger alternator, to replace the stock alternator. I have a 2.9L first gen ranger. Thanks

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I followed this guide (for the most part) to put a 130A alternator in my '87 Gen1 Ranger.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, but the question is do you have one for sale??? That's what I actually need and why I made this post....

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My point in directing you to the guide was that it's not as simple as installing a different alternator (perhaps you already know this?). A Gen1 Ranger with AC has a maximum 80A alternator available, and the wiring in the charging system does not support anything higher. As far as I know, there is not a direct bolt-in replacement available (at least not anymore) because the original wiring will burn up if you try to pull 130A through it.
I bought my 130A alternator from a local wrecking yard for around $35. Fits a '95 Mustang. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1995,mustang,5.0l+v8,1134188,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412
The guide lists the other parts you would need.

Years ago when I wanted to upgrade my alternator, the only direct fit "upgrade" I could find was at NAPA. The problem was, it was very expensive and it was still a Ford 2G alternator. After researching the issues with the 2G alternators I decided it wasn't a good idea to have a 130A version of it, so I went with the 3G Mustang alternator mentioned above. Here's the link to the NAPA direct fit 2G alternator.
I'm sorry if this isn't any help.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I am fully aware of that swap and that guild, but that doesn't help me out in my current situation. I listed a post in the wanted section looking for someone that has a used upgraded alternator sitting in their garage. I also live in the North East and most of the yards around me have been picked dry or everything is junk and rusted. Hence why I made a wanted/looking post. Thanks for your help, but I'm still in the same situation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals