• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

up grade needed

1987 DANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need to find a new (used 03-07) vehicle for my wife. Iam wanting an SUV poss Ford, Dodge, Jeep or Mercury. Something life a Escape, Exploder, Durango, Grand Cher or Ect. Must be 4x4 and poss a 3 row seat. Any advice would be great. Pros and cons. Thanks:huh:

broken2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Explorer with a V8
pros:
gets about the same mileage as the six cylinder
available with 3rd row seat
independent rear suspension has a real good ride
all kinds of safety crap to keep the rubber side down
cons:
not the best off road due to ground clearance

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 Explorer isn't much of a slouch either though, my parents is 2002 is pretty spunky for as big as it is. I think on the highway they get about 20mpg which is pretty good. It is a tough car to beat IMO. The older ones are better off road, but really not many people buy their family hauler to wheel. The newer ones do beat the snot out of the older ones in ride and handling, no comparison.

I do not recomend a Durango, my grandparents have a 2000 with a 5.2/318. It is always either broken or almost broken, and chuggs gas at an alarming rate. When you are working on it you just get a feel for it being crudly made, it probably has IMO the best looking exterior of its class but I wouldn't give you much for the guts of it. They got it used from the bargain lot at a big dealership without telling anyone in the family about it until after they got it, so who knows what treatment it got before that, I still hate working on it though. The newer (02+) Explorer is also much larger inside, really our old 1994 Explorer is bigger inside too...

Escapes are nice too, if I was on the market for a SUV I would be shopping for a hybrid, with the talk of $4-$5 per gallon gas. They are pretty roomy inside as well, but I have just sat in them at car shows and have never ridden in one. I don't think they have a third row seat though, they get their room for the back seat by using up some of the rear cargo area.

1987 DANGER RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'am looking at a 2005 Merc Mountineer AWD with 4.0 auto. I dont know anything about the motor I know that there are several people in hear that would know. Are they strong could it possible pull my 76 16ft jaco bumper pull. (approx 2300lbs). It has a class 2 hitch (yuc). Any advice on the motor and trans would be great.

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my girlfriend has a 04 grand cherokee that isnt to bad, the 4.0 has plenty of go and the i6 has one hell of a reputation however it gets about the same gas mileage as the v8( around 15 or 16). it has a comfortable interior but seems like it should be larger from looking at the outside.

gearhead1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to say it but the new 2008 toyota FJ are nice and have lockers and 4 link they work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals