• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unsolved/solved mysterious leak experiences?

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Have an '04 4x4 4.0l manual. Has the Mitsubishi M50D-R1HD. Noticed a little transmission fluid leaking near the transmission mount. Checked the shift rail plugs as suggested and pulled the transmission to inspect both input shaft seal, output shaft seal, and transfer case. Nothing was obvious as a source of the fluid so I left all the seals alone, gave it a thorough cleaning while I had it on a bench and then reinstalled. Hoping the cleaning would make it easy to identify the source after I started driving again. Maybe I have a micro crack somewhere that I didn't see while cleaning it? I replaced my crappy transmission mount with a polyurethane mount from Energy Suspension a few months ago. While that decreased movement and vibration I suspect it might have changed the stresses on the transmission housing and possibly caused the leak. As far as shifting goes it's smooth and no noticeable noise of concern. Fluid is correct level and type. Anyone experience a hard to locate leak in the drivetrain? I'm going to stop worrying about this one until there's any noticeable change in it's characteristics. Probably just another typical paranoia stemming from lack of confidence in my abilities as a mechanic:(o

Attachments

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well for someone with a "lack of confidence" you're going about it right. You have to check frequently before the wind blows the fluid all over the place.
If you still can't find it you can buy florescent dye and a detection light for about $25 at Autozone.

-Jazzer

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was going to suggest florescent dye as well.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And the T-case fluid level was correct also?

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Good question! Might assume that I checked it but I actually didn't. I didn't see any leaks from it and had checked it's fluid level within the past couple of months so I didn't give it much thought even though it would have been easy to check since it was sitting on the worktable next to the transmission. Doh!
And the T-case fluid level was correct also?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals