• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

U joint problems need help plz!!

Newtothis87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I need some help. I own a 1998 ford ranger 4x4 3.0 and the u joints went bad. I tried to replace them myself and on the test drive they broke at the caps and my drive shaft fell off the truck. the u joints were moog 254 and I'm not sure what went wrong. a few things I can think of though. When installing one of the joints I noticed it took a lot of effort and heard a crack. I checked the u joint and the cap had cracked. I replaced it and went to try again but this time in the ear that receives the cap I noticed a half ring of metal sticking up like a burr as if it rolled the metal up like a shaving. reluctantly I filed it down and tried again this time the cap slipped in with no effort I could push it in by hand on one side but not the other. next when installing I noticed the marks I had make on the shaft didn't match up on the differential or the transmission. my friend turned my back wheel till they lined up on the receiving plate. then I installed everything. truck felt good as new for the first minute but the second it hit 50 a loud sound happened and the drive shaft fell out. I inspected everything and most of the caps were still on the ears but some were broken. when Buying the joints I wasn't sure of my cars model and the guys at advanced auto parts gave me two different sized u joints one for the front and one for the back. the one on the front was to small so I returned it and found that the one on the back fit better. so there it is. Maybe when I filled the ear I messed it up? or was it when I turned the differential? maybe the wrong u joints for my car? either way now I have the driveshaft in the truck bed and don't know where to go from here. I don't want to just buy new u joints and try again and fail. I need some help.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I first started out doing my own bearings I had a needle bearing fall over in the cup and when I pressed everything together the cap broke. It still happens that a needle bearing will fall over but now I know when to stop pressing and start over. I'm sure you will do better the second time too.
On the sliver of metal, it sounds like you forced a cap in slightly cockeyed. That may have ruined the part that holds the cap. There needs to be a slight press fit, if not it will soon waller out and break.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Look up your local automotive machine shop and take it there it will save you so much aggravation they will make it right just tell him your friend wailed a BFH on it not you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals