• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

two dumb questions from a newb

brother rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I test drove a 1999 Mazda B3000 that I'm considering buying. The brakes felt like they were not very effective (seemed like excessive effort required to stop the vehicle). But no squeaking.
I would think that the pads/shoes need replacing but is this just the way that extended cab trucks ride? I'm accustomed to a compact car that stops on a dime. And my standard cab ranger has pretty touchy brakes and stops readily. I'm just wanting to make sure that it's not just the difference between the cars I'm used to driving and that's is just normal for this truck.
My other question is when I looked under the hood of this truck, it looked like aside from the master cylinder/booster/prop valve assembly on the firewall, there was another block with brake lines on the drivers side fender about halfway towards the radiator. I've never seen that setup before, is that normal? Maybe someone could post a picture of the engine bay of a B3000 to confirm.
Thanks.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like a 4 wheel abs control block. many of the earlier four wheel abs systems feel like crap. It's hard to explain, but if you're used to driving earlier vehicles without it, there's a definitely different feel to the whole system. They stop but it feels weird. The later systems are a little better but I still don't like the way they feel. That being said you should check if both ends are working.

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The rear brakes could be out of adjustment or even the starwheels could be frozen in there. That's like a $20 fix and probably take you 20 minutes.

brother rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
now that i think about it, the abs dash light was illuminated while driving? does that mean that abs was engaged? or that there is a problem with the abs?

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Means there is a problem. Could be something simple, like low on brake fluid. It could also be something expensive too. I don't know enough about it to speculate, but someone who does will chime in shortly

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
like was stated it could be a few things......might even be the $20 sensor in the differential............for me the bottom i line is always price..........it the truck is a good price......then it might be worth it..........all these used trucks need some work....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals