• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turns over , no spark

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I own a 83 2.8L ranger (new to me) and it’s been dead in the water for a few days.
It was running while I put a load of chopped wood in the back then all the sudden died.
Put new spark plugs in it the day prior and it ran fine with no issues. I’m learning as I go and I’m guessing it’s a distributor issue but at some point this truck has had some work done on it so I’m finding a hard time for what to replace. Please view the photos for more info. Just looking for a place to start!

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome.

You do have a rotor in the distributor, right? And it's just not in your pictures?

See if it'll try to start by spraying starting fluid in the carb.

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes sorry I pulled it to clean it off. I tried sanding the metal a little and cleaning it up (it’s not dirty to be honest). Just put some ether in it after cleaning and no luck. It also has clean fuel in the tank. I feel quite lost on where to go from here.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Are you able to test for positive 12 volts at the coil "+" terminal? With a test light, or voltage meter; ignition key on.

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I just got my first volt meter and have tested the coil which is aftermarket but it’s saying I have power there

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
There’s a guy and Advance Auto who said he believes this is the issue however this isn’t the correct part (close to what I have) and the one they have is +400$. However if it IS the problem I’m to the point where I would happily pay it just to get this thing running again. I’m sure If I took it to a mechanic it would be a nightmare in labor (just them diagnosing) before they do some work lol

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fuel, spark, compression, timing. You need all these. It didn't fire with ether so probably not fuel.
Pull distrubor cap and crank engine. Make sure dizzy is turning.
Check points. Make sure they are opening and closing. Clean points with point file.
Check for bright blue spark. Pull wire and stuff in key or screwdriver and set on engine so there is about 1/4" gap. Turn engine and look for spark.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If the coil is getting power, then the ground trigger side would suspect, which is generated by the pickup in the distributor that you've been led toward.

So yes, the problem may be the pickup, but $400 sounds ridiculously high.

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fuel, spark, compression, timing. You need all these. It didn't fire with ether so probably not fuel.
Pull distrubor cap and crank engine. Make sure dizzy is turning.
Check points. Make sure they are opening and closing. Clean points with point file.
Check for bright blue spark. Pull wire and stuff in key or screwdriver and set on engine so there is about 1/4" gap. Turn engine and look for spark.
I will pull the cap and ensure that it’s rotating. I haven’t tried that yet! I did sand all the points and button then cleaned it off with carb cleaner & wiped off with a paper towel to see if that would work.
Where should I put the screwdriver? In the plug wire going to the distributor cap?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
check for spark as noted.

pull a plug wire off the plug and put a screw driver tip in it. lean it near the block or exhaust and have someonet urn the key to try and start the truck for you. if you see spark, you have that part. if not, move the screw driver shank a little closer to the metal to see if you are getting spark. if a no-go, its ignition related and i would go with what everyone is asking to check

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
If the coil is getting power, then the ground trigger side would suspect, which is generated by the pickup in the distributor that you've been led toward.

So yes, the problem may be the pickup, but $400 sounds ridiculously high.
Yes it seems pretty wild for the part. I ensured that it was all connected properly and clean. Hoped it was something small but if it’s failed I may be “forced” to buy that overpriced part.
Again I’m new to the classic ranger world but have done novice maintenance before on cars & trucks and this is definitely out of my wheelhouse lol

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update.

Distributor rotates. Then I put a screwdriver in plug and placed near metal but no spark appeared.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That part posted is a conversion kit to get rid of points.
I'm pretty sure you can find similar for under $50
Edit: I'm assuming you have a points distributor. I haven't worked in stuff that old for a very long time and it was never my strong suit.

Dalebob69

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
That part posted is a conversion kit to get rid of points.
I'm pretty sure you can find similar for under $50
Edit: I'm assuming you have a points distributor. I haven't worked in stuff that old for a very long time and it was never my strong suit.
Gotcha. Yes It is a points distributor but they appear clean even before sanding them / wiping them.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes It is a points distributor but they appear clean even before sanding them / wiping them.
I think that you may have sanded the rotor contacts in the cap. The distributor in your picture has a pickup coil and exciter vanes, not the old-fashion type of distributor points.

Your '83 2.8 motor looks like it has been converted from the original setup, which unfortunately makes chasing replacement parts a lot more difficult for you.

If you can get a part number or a manufacturer name from the pickup that's in your distributor, you may have a better chance of tracking down a unit which will directly replace it. This is a case where an experienced parts person behind the counter at a parts store can be a life saver; or, also having the failed part in hand can make an internet search easier.

It will take some work, but I honestly think that you can find a replacement pickup for a lot less money than the full kit price.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals