• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn signal failure

PMoreau

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1993 XLT Ranger. Replaced the ICM a few weeks ago and right after the turn signals acted up for about 5 min. Didnt do it again, forgot about it till now. Taped into the purple / orange wire for 12v power for a tach and it started acting up again. Pulling the tach wire off of the turn signal circuit didnt help. Replaced the round flasher in the fuse box under the dash, didnt help. The wiring diagram shows another flasher but it is not be found anywhere.
Symptoms;
-Both dash lights come on and blink when either turn signal is on.
-Both front turn signals always come on, regardless of witch side is triggered.
-Both dash lights come on and stay on with the head lights ( but will blink when triggered )
-After on for awile they will slow down.
-After a long drive they will not come on at all.

Thanks

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that is some freaky crap!

the only thing i could suggest would be to start checking all your wiring for continuity and what not. wouldnt surprise me if something was shorted.

come to think of it, when i did my 302 swap i had the core support off and all of the wiring for the lights was disconnected. on one of my test runs i was playing with the turn signal lever and noticed that both turn signal indicators on the dash come on, either way i move the stick. i then put everything back together and it worked like normal. WTF right?

PMoreau

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats weird. Im not sure what would be shorting.
All bulbs are good, and none have recently been replaced.

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im having a very similar problem, but now its starting to fix itself (or its worse and it seems like it is) not sure either what the problem is, even people at by work dont relly know.

PMoreau

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I found a few threads with similar problems but never a solution.

I found that if I unplug either front turn signal the whole system works perfectly.

Everythings shorting to everything. Left is shorting to right and the turn signals are shorting the headlights. Therefore it either must be bad wiring or the multi switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals