• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo 2.3 Daily Driver

velcro7279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have been thinking seriously about turboing my 87 Ranger 4x4. The truck is a daily driver. Would like to get about 250hp out of it. Some questions I have is how streetable is a 250hp 2.3 with a turbo? Can I get it to make boost at about 2000-2500 rpm's up to at least 4500? I live in northern Michigan and drive the truck in the winter. Can I get a turboed truck to drive well in temps that range from -20 to 90 degrees? That is the range of temps that we get here and I will need it to perform well from one extreme to the other. I will be intercooling it if I do it, too. Just want to find this stuff out before I go start rounding up parts for this project.

Steve

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i could be a dd 250 hp isnt much for daily drive especially a 4wd
as far as boost at 2000-4500 depending on turbo size you will have boost from 2000 till you shift...

intercooling is the best route as those 90 degree days take a toll on your air intake temps...

so i would say go for it but their is more to it than just slapping a turbo on it use the tech library and the search function it will help you out alot... their is a turbo 4wd on here some where and dont forget to tune it or it wont be a dd for long...

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yes 250hp is a easy DD, you really have 2 options here, engine swap from TC,Svo,Xr4Ti , as this requires new computer, modifying the harness and re-pinning the computer harness for the original computer, or build the current engine thats in your truck, that is saying your going with the 2.3L. my truck handles clevelands weathers, but then again my truck sits in the garage all winter and has never seen snow. and if you plan to build your current engine, then a tuner is a HAVE TO, at 18-20 Psi on a stock tune, for one good luck because it wont happen, for two, be prepared for detonation. lol. i would look into SCT or Sniper tuners.

velcro7279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been throught the tech library and most of the stuff there doesn't look lik eit will make over 200hp. Looks simple, but not quite what I am looking for. Know I will either have to find a turbo engine with the forged pistons or pull mine down and put the forged pistons in it. The 2.3 I have now only has about 5000 miles since the rebuild, so I think it would be better to use what I have and put the pistons in it. Found an XR4TI 2.3 for $350. Doesn't say the turbo is missing, so I assume it would be complete. About all I would use from it is the turbo and the manifold though and that is if the turbo is in good shape. Would probably be a good rebuilder though. If I use an SCT or Sniper tuner can I still use the stock 87 2.3 computer from the Ranger? Anyone use the MegaSquirt stuff for a situation like mine?

Does anyone run a 250-300 hp intercooled turbo ranger in the winter? Would like to know how it would run and if anyone has had any cold weather issues they have had to deal with?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
10psi is supposed to be around 170hp (stock TC engines are 10psi and labeled as around 170hp), if you use a LA3 it can handle 20psi which should be around the 250hp you are looking for

mini274

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
actually fast fords did a dyno run on a stock svo mustang and it pulled 210 to the wheels.... it depends if the clutch holds up or not.... the factory LA3 is tuned on 13 psi and is safe to a spiked boost of rite at 17 with as the factory waste gates will spike that... now ive seen people take the LA3 to 22 even 25 but with a small cc upgrade on their injectors... winter driving is no problem in my truck and its 2wd on 19psi it breaks loose full throttle in 3rd but you dont have to go full throttle... as long as your driving habits in the winter arent balls to the wall peddle to the metal all the time you should be fine as you can make your foot create the amount of boost you want at any specific time... i would suggest the sct tuner as jess can write you a tune for your specific ecm and i know your not mass air so i would suggest switching to the La ecm cause it will be hard to tune with your computer now... or get a 91/92 mass air computer and repin your harness then a tuner if you want to got the hard way...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont see any issues with your plans besides overboosting with non forged pistons. run fine in the winter too.

velcro7279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you guys are saying that a LA3 ECU can handle 20psi with only larger injectors than the TC's came with. They came with 35pph, right? Will I have to get a tune put in the LA3, too? The LA3 is used with a mass air sensor? I will start looking around for the parts for this soon. Thanks for the info. Really helped to get me started.

Bobbywalter, you are just south of me. Just noticed that you are in Higgins Lake. I'm in Grayling. Small world I guess.

Steve

jlove1974

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
1. The LA3 and 35lb/hr injectors are good for up to 250-270hp if you upgrade your fuel pump and get a decent FPR (like a Kirban) and keep any eye out for detonation. They are low-impedence and will run 100% duty cycle. After that I would look for something like an EEC tuner and Porsche 944 turbo injectors (42lb/hr) to get you up past 350hp.

But you are talking about a DD, and above the stock 200hp turbo power level you are going to break driveline parts anyhow, esp w/ a Dana 28 front and a 7.5 rear end.

velcro7279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. The LA3 and 35lb/hr injectors are good for up to 250-270hp if you upgrade your fuel pump and get a decent FPR (like a Kirban) and keep any eye out for detonation. They are low-impedence and will run 100% duty cycle. After that I would look for something like an EEC tuner and Porsche 944 turbo injectors (42lb/hr) to get you up past 350hp.

But you are talking about a DD, and above the stock 200hp turbo power level you are going to break driveline parts anyhow, esp w/ a Dana 28 front and a 7.5 rear end.
I had given some thought about the weak driveline parts of the truck, too. This has made me start looking for a newer truck or a Dana 35 and 8.8 to put under this one. It needs to be regeared anyway for the 31's and I don't want to have to buy gears twice so everything is on hold right now until I get the drivetrain squared away of find a different truck. I think I will try to find a Turbo Coupe to pull the engine from to keep it simple too. Would probable be cheaper to get started with than putting the pistons in mine and getting all the parts seperate. Can always upgrade the TC engine a little at a time as money and time allow. Thanks for the response and info.

Steve

jlove1974

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Think about getting a donor 1st gen explorer, that way you can get the suspension and driveline pieces that are upgrades (front/rear axles, springs, M50D trans, 4.0 Clutch/flywheel setup). A donor Thunderchicken turd-bo poop I mean turbocouple would be nice too. Two for one deals?? :)

That way you would be getting an ECU also, which is always helpful for a daily driver and longevity. The LA3 is the one to get if you can find an 88 TC.
Forged turbo pistons are getting harder and harder to come by.

Most importantly is to make sure you get everything you can from the donor car, including the transmission if possible. You'll be able to sell it if you don't use it, and the ratios are about perfect for the desired powerband.

As far as regearing with 31s, think about building a doubler from two 1350/1354 transfer cases. There's a how-to out there somewhere (maybe broncoii.org) and it looked pretty good. Allows you to get good MPG with tall gearing and great crawling ability..

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
for a properly running turbo 2.3 4.10's are sufficient with 31's, when mine was running bad it wasn't good but when it ran good (until it died again) they worked well, with the stock turbo engine I wheeled fairly hard on my 31's and never broke any drivetrain parts, I have a D35/8.8 with 5.13 gears along with a manual 1354 and a 6" lift in the garage though...

what tranny do you have? the mazda is an optimal tranny, the T5 is harder to get into a 4x4 unless you grab an IFS S10 transfer case or an expensive adapter. my M5OD has 200K on it and works fine with the last 20K being forced induction.

velcro7279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Think about getting a donor 1st gen explorer, that way you can get the suspension and driveline pieces that are upgrades (front/rear axles, springs, M50D trans, 4.0 Clutch/flywheel setup). A donor Thunderchicken turd-bo poop I mean turbocouple would be nice too. Two for one deals??

That way you would be getting an ECU also, which is always helpful for a daily driver and longevity. The LA3 is the one to get if you can find an 88 TC.
Forged turbo pistons are getting harder and harder to come by.

Most importantly is to make sure you get everything you can from the donor car, including the transmission if possible. You'll be able to sell it if you don't use it, and the ratios are about perfect for the desired powerband.

As far as regearing with 31s, think about building a doubler from two 1350/1354 transfer cases. There's a how-to out there somewhere (maybe broncoii.org) and it looked pretty good. Allows you to get good MPG with tall gearing and great crawling ability..
Keeping my eye out for a crapped out for a 1st gen Explorer that is cheap enough. The TC's are a little hard to come by around my parts. Of course I haven't looked too hard. Was an 88 in the swapper here for like $2300. It was it pretty good shape though. Had like 150k on it.

for a properly running turbo 2.3 4.10's are sufficient with 31's, when mine was running bad it wasn't good but when it ran good (until it died again) they worked well, with the stock turbo engine I wheeled fairly hard on my 31's and never broke any drivetrain parts, I have a D35/8.8 with 5.13 gears along with a manual 1354 and a 6" lift in the garage though...

what tranny do you have? the mazda is an optimal tranny, the T5 is harder to get into a 4x4 unless you grab an IFS S10 transfer case or an expensive adapter. my M5OD has 200K on it and works fine with the last 20K being forced induction.
I was reading different places that the low gears aren't really needed with a turboed 2.3 too. Would be easier to find a set of 4.10's from an Explorer or Ranger with the 35/8.8 setup. Probably be cheaper, too. Gears for the 28 and 7.5 are expensive. Especially 4.56's. The tranny in the 87 is the Mitsu FM145. Not the best for handling power from what I have heard. What tcase does the S10 have? How does it hook to a T5 that will fit a 2.3?

Steve

mastersmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
250hp is nothing for a daily driver. That's about where my 2.3T mustang is and I drove it all winter last year up here in Montana with no problems except for the snow days where I couldn't even get out of the driveway. As far as the tranny goes, I would recommend finding an m5od from a newer ranger. A T5 would be nice but advanced adapters quit making the 4x4 adapter so using have to piece it together using some s-10 parts. I'm not real sure what all that would take. As far as tuning, the stock tune in an LA3 ecu from a t-bird will get you 250HP. anything much over that and you will want to modify the tune. I use a moates quarterhorse chip ($250) with binary editor ($80) to tune it. But the learning curve is very steep and you can really screw stuff up if you don't know what your doing. The LA3 can be converted to use an mass air flow sensor using the quarterhorse but it uses a Vane Air Meter stock. That being said, the VAM will work fine for the 250HP range you are looking at.

Basically, I would try to find and 87-88 t-bird and swap the entire engine/wiring harness/intercooler/VAM... etc into the ranger. Then do a bit of port work to the manifolds, get a boost controller and take it up to about 17-18 PSI and maybe throw on a bigger intercooler and you should be right around 250hp.

mastersmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
oh and you will definitely want a bigger fuel pump!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals