• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tuning Sub Forum?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think a tuning sub-forum would be of use in the "Engine and Transmissions" section.

I can help with my knowledge of the Tweecer.
http://www.tweecer.com/

Perhaps someone can step forward who is familiar with the Moate's system???
https://www.moates.net/

Perhaps someone can step forward who is familiar with the SCT Tuner???
https://www.sctflash.com/

What do you think???

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I agree that would be super helpful I know a lot of people including myself ask a lot about tuning and which system to use best for their setup

sent while bored

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Moderators?? Is this a possibility? ?

sent while bored

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe I should have sent a note to Oaks?

Anyway, it blows not to receive a response or any interest. I was volunteering some time here.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Is there any benefit to it being it's own forum, versus say a sticky thread in each engine forum on how to tune that engine? My concern is that people will start asking all kinds of engine questions there, instead of the specific engine forum.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got you regarding off topic questions, however I think it could be kept to tuning questions. A Sticky at the top of it could explain what is appropriate and I can alert a moderator or moderate it myself to move the post to the appropriate place. I'd do a quick sticky write-up for your approval. I also don't want it to get to a BS competition between tuners, but what works based on fact for folk to make their own decisions.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock Ranger engines are not really responsive to tuning. No boost, no variable valve timing... not really a whole lot to tinker with. Shift points and characteristics is about it.

For boosted engines and V8 swaps they are kind of relevant to that... but it kind of fits in the respective subforum. I don't do much in the boosted section but most of the "tuning" in the V8 swap "tuning" is killing PATS on the Explorer engines. It is kind of part of the swap or upgrade and it more or less fits in that subforum IMO.

HOWEVER, the new Ranger/Bronco could change everything in that regard, especially if they go Ecoboost and/or diesel (and I don't know why/how they wouldn't go at least Ecoboost) Tuning Ecoboost Mustangs and F-150's (and of course diesel trucks) is huge, I bet it will be similar for Rangers and Broncos as well.

So IMO there isn't really a huge need right now but there could be a big need coming down the pipe. :icon_thumby:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Great, wow, i disagree. What tuner do you use to tune with or have you used one? Very pointed question, but tuning is complex enough that most people do not know what really can be done or have tuned.

With tuning, You can get horsepower and torque without any parts or mechanical changes on a stock engine, then add a change in shifts and it is noticeable. Though I will admit there may be parts that will net more power than a tune, if you add those parts and then tune to them, you will get more out of the parts.

Who would want to shift into OD sooner at low load and RPM to save gas? Or drop into the next lower gear or 3rd to 1st a bit earlier when you stomp on it? I also hate it when it shifts later, at higher RPM and carries more horsepower and torque into the next gear!

Secondly, Boost requires electronic tuning to get it right, not just slightly relevant.

On the 302, 347, 351W, 393W etc, most performance work will benefit from a tune or a tune will be necessary. A cam change with heads will benefit from a tune on a 302.

The Ranger Station is way behind on this.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't think he's saying anything against tuners, just that they don't make much of a difference on a stock Ranger. I had a JET module on my 4.0L Ranger. You'd never know it. If I put a programmer on my 6.4L Super Duty....you'd know it.

You obviously have experience with the 4.0L. If you wanted to write something up in the 4.0L forum about your experience tuning the 4.0L, I'll make it a sticky. Then we can go from there. The only other forum that would probably see any 'tuner' activity would be the V8 forum.

I agree that it's a topic that should be covered, but I still see it as one that should be pinned to the specific engine forums. If we see enough activity, we can re-consider making it a topic specific forum.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great, wow, i disagree. What tuner do you use to tune with or have you used one? Very pointed question, but tuning is complex enough that most people do not know what really can be done or have tuned.
I have a Superchip tuner in my F-150. SOHC V8, about the same level of sophistication as a RBV engine. You can only play with timing and fuel trims so much.

It shifts better, which is why it was worth $100 used to me. Also borrowed and Edge tuner, did pretty much the same thing.

I only use tow/haul because I don't want to run premium.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Superchip tuner in my F-150. SOHC V8, about the same level of sophistication as a RBV engine. You can only play with timing and fuel trims so much.

It shifts better, which is why it was worth $100 used to me. Also borrowed and Edge tuner, did pretty much the same thing.

I only use tow/haul because I don't want to run premium.
There is more to tuning than timing and fuel ratio with a Tweecer or Moates. Used units can be had cheap, offer more variables to tune, and can be used to tune any power adder you want to add down the road. The transmission changes I have made should give a little bit better economy and definitely more performance. My rig is more enjoyable to drive with the transmission changes.

Jim,
I'll agree the old Jet chips had little to offer for a stock engine. The addition of electronically controlled transmissions which you can tune, allows for more gains. A used Tweecer or Moates can be had relatively cheap.

That written, I do have a difference of opinion than you all. I also just got hammered with a new job contract and will be much busier than usual. Good news for the finances. I'll answer PM's that I can get too if anyone is interested in tuning, Thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is painfully obvious that you have only used a hand held tuner.

Like This:
Throttle Position for Open Loop
WOT Break point vs RPM
Accelerator pump for tip-in
Warm-up Time
Idle speed Neutral
Idle Speed in Gear
Rev Limit in Gear
Rev limit in neutral
Speed Limiter On
Speed Limiter Off
Torque Control RPM Limiting
Torque Control RPM Limiting Off
Torque Reduction for Shifts

Tire and Gearing changes:
Revolutions per mile
Gear Ratio

Transmission, well, there are more tweeks to be done than listed above for the engine. i won't list them all here. I made changes to which a stock Ranger would benefit as well, this is what I did:
It shifts quicker and firmer from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd during hard acceleration.
Shifts at higher speed/RPM during hard acceleration (red-line @ WOT).
It downshifts at higher speed/RPM to initiate hard acceleration.
It shifts into 4th and 5th at lower MPH/RPM and the Torque Converter (TC) has been made to lock earlier in 4th and 5th gears for economy, both changes at less than 1/3 throttle.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speedometer correction for tire size and gearing is an option on my tuner. I can't kill the speed limiter but I can move it to a speed I can't touch... never bothered and have never hit it. Kinda forgot about that.

Shift points and firmness I did mention. Mine were vastly improved on tow-haul. Aside from speedo correction (which was just fine tuning, it was already pretty close) it is all I really notice. Of course you have to go thru reteaching the adaptive shift strategy how to shift so by the time that is done you don't really remember what it was like for much of a side by side comparison.

I can check codes with it too which is nice.

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Well this escalated quickly but I was just interested in learning about tuning and 2.3t tuning but as for how it should be done it's not for me to say.

sent while bored

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals