• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to get ready for 302 swap in my 88 2.3

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
im just curious to which 302 engines i need to be looking at to be able to drop in my 88 std cab 5 speed 2.3 ranger, i want a 302 and a 5 speed tranny which would be the T-5 i believe, i dont wanna go all crazy i just want a budget 302 and trans conversion, which vehicle should i be looking for to get the 302 and trans from like what years and model, and i guess what else will i need to be able to make the 302 work, im gonna keep everything stock mostly maybe a good exhaust and intake but the rest will most likely be stock at least for a little while, thanks for any help im on the lookout for some 302s and stuff but just want to know whats the best ones to look at and the budget way to do it, thanks for any info trying to do some research.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
maybe ill use a chevy 302 lol

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Any will fit. Depends on what you want, you need to figure this out first. Carb? EFI? 4x4, 4x2? Manual, Auto? HO? Low performance? :icon_confused:

If it were me, I'd shoot for a late 80s and greater roller 5.0L. If you want to retain 4x4, this will have impact on transmission selection.

Pete

Edit:
Budget? Not unless you know people, have a donor car with nothing wrong with it, or can get some sort of discount at the junk yard. It doesn't look so bad looking at the big picture, but there are a lot of small things that really add up, like fittings, cables, etc. It's not a bolt-in plug and play swap...

Last edited:

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
his truck is 2WD, go with a donor car all the way, im peicing mine together as I go and its a hugh PITA, maybe a wrecked mustang with a roller motor or a crown vic interceptor, read the skickies at the top of the forum, read the threads, research, research, resarch, there is ALOT of knowlege here but they dont like answering the same question a hundred times so dont be lazy and look it up if you cant find it then ask, and you will probably get 10 different answers that all work.

ed74337

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 is out 5.0 going in soon!
Transmission
Manual
i 2nd that buying a donor car. i totally agree that piecing it altogether is a HUGE PITA! i too am piecing crap together. its not fun!

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
yea im not sure what im gonna do now, this little 2.3 is makin all kinds of loud tapping, buzzing, clank noises in the engine like something is seriously farked up in the vavle train, it fires up easy with no smoke but something in there is about to fly apart lol, i think im gonna just get a new truck something a little bigger with a little more power, and me and my dad might just use this truck for a built 460 hes working on, i was originally gonna try to rebuild this little fartcan 2.3 or just put a 302 in it but i dont have much funds and time to put into it and its my only vehicle atm, i guess even a 2.9, or 4.0 would still take a bit to swap, im not sure if those engines will bolt right in and fasten to the tranny or not but im just thinking a new truck, and yank the engine and trans outta this ranger and stick a 460 in it so me and my dad have a little screamer, and ill try to get a newer ranger,s-10,dakota or something.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Go with what you want. No sense in wasting money on something that you're just going to pull out later, often times you never get what you had into it back out of it, not unless you plan on sitting on it waiting for the right buyer...

If that's your D/D, pick up a small POS car, either way you go (even with a V6), there is going to be some down time. This is why I bought my Tempo... IMO, start collecting parts now for whatever you're going to try and accomplish. 460ci will definitely take some time. Been working on my swap for pretty much a year (just a 5.0L), I am down to fuel line plumbing, header fitment, and getting a driveshaft (plus whatever else I run into when I start it up for the first time). Really don't want to rush things..

Pete

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
If you get a 302 without the tranny, a 3.8v6 tranny from a 90's Mustang works. I've got an 85 Mustang GT that I just put a v6 tranny in. Get back with me if you go this route... there are a couple of tricks you need to know before it will bolt up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals