• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck still dying, fuel pump fails to engage

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so last night the truck died after driving it around in the rainy streets. i covered about 10 miles around town in a half hour, then parked in front of the house, and after a couple of minutes of idling the truck died. it was the first time it died in a quiet place so i could hear now that the fuel pump wasn't engaging, i could hear a click but not the hum. when it did engage, it would die almost immediately after turning on the truck. a few times of turning the key and waiting for the fuel pump engage, and turning on the truck, and it still wasn't staying on. this morning everything is back to normal, and the fuel pump engages and stays on every time. does anyone think there could be an exposed/loose wiring? it just doesn't feel like the fuel pump itself is bad, but that it is just not getting power in certain conditions, maybe the way the truck moves makes the wiring loose or the water from the rain affects the connection.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like a loose connection to me.

I would check the wiring from the pump on forward, look for a loose connection, and use a multimeter if you have one.

aeraceranthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check the fuel pump relay. I had this exact same probelm with my 94. If its brunt out, its like $8. Tell me if its it or not.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Check the fuel pump relay. I had this exact same probelm with my 94. If its brunt out, its like $8. Tell me if its it or not.
I also had this problem,
as well be shure there are no hidden kill switches gitting wet in your power relay & fuse box.

shorted kill switch blew out the relay and fuse.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hell i don't know how to test these or check if they're bad, but i did get a new one. do i have to make sure the battery is disconnected?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not for a relay replacement you don't.

Might look at the PCM Power Diode under the hood fusebox. I've heard of them rattling loose connection and cause it to cut off.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i got the new flimsy one installed. if it doesn't shut down within a week then we got a winner. otherwise i gotta ask someone to drop a beam to look at the wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals