• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission chatter

8ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey hows it going. So yesterday afternoon I decided to take my gf and truck out for a little wheeling. I just put in a new clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing/and the little bearing that goes in the center of the flywheel(can't remember the name). I replaced if 3-4weeks ago. Since then been working great.. after about 45mins to an hour of wheeling, I notice that when I push in the clutch pedal. I can hear a chatter. Wasn't to loud, but loud enough that I could hear when I stuck my head out the window. When I let the pedal out, the sound went away. After about another hour on our way out. The sound progressed to being constant no matter if the clutch pedal was in or out. It was louder also. This is the same sound I heard when my clutch went out before I replaced it. The weird thing is. Once we got out of the trail. Back to the road. I took it out of 4x4. I have not heard the sound once.. My clutch feels fine, does not feel like I burned it out. I don't know how I would have anyways. I did not over-rev it as we were wheeling. Didn't smell the clutch or anything. So ultimately I am a bit confused as to what it could be. If you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

David88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2006
Make / Model
Ford/Jeep
Engine Size
2.9L/3.7L
Transmission
Manual
Go out amd put it back in 4WD and see if the noise comes back. Then disengage it to see if it stops. If it goes away wheb not in 4WD and comes back when engaged, I'd start with the Transfercase and work my way forward. Could be a front hub bearing you are hearing since you heard it bettwe with your head out the window. Or bearings in the front axel shafts or the ujoints in the front drive shaft.

Little bearing is called the pilot bearing by the way.

8ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go out amd put it back in 4WD and see if the noise comes back. Then disengage it to see if it stops. If it goes away wheb not in 4WD and comes back when engaged, I'd start with the Transfercase and work my way forward. Could be a front hub bearing you are hearing since you heard it bettwe with your head out the window. Or bearings in the front axel shafts or the ujoints in the front drive shaft.

Little bearing is called the pilot bearing by the way.
okay thanks. Its definitely not coming from the tire, yesterday i got out and had my gf push it in while i was on the ground listening. sounded like it was coming from where the tranny and engine are connected. But ill go put it in 4x4 right now and see what i find

David88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2006
Make / Model
Ford/Jeep
Engine Size
2.9L/3.7L
Transmission
Manual
If you eliminate what is not wrong with it, then you will be eft with what is wrong with it. Could even be that you didn't tighten all the bolts down, giving it enough play that it throws things slightly out of wack when the extra load of turning front tires is thrown in.

Could be bearings in the transfercase. I've never torn one down, but I would think there has to be bearings that the output shaft to your front drive shaft rides in. Might be that you hear.

I'd check as much as I could without pulling the tranny first.

I had a guy bring an Escape into the shop for a check engine light. Another tech tore it down claiming it was the heads. Somehow I ended up putting it back together. He had the camshaft bearing caps out of position and it warped the cams. I ended up puttin brand new heads on it. After it was all done, same engine light was on. I was stumped so were the other techs. Next day another Escape, same year came in for an oil change. I popped the hood and noticed this one had a wire mine did not.

I went back, checked the other, found the wire tucked in the fender, connected it and the light went out. Customer had removed it when he pulled the engine dress cover off trying to find the oil filter and forgot to put it back.

Moral of the story: Check everything possible before you tear into something or you might give yourself more trouble than it's worth.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
8Ranger9....................let us know when you find the problem & fix it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals