• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing my trail rig jeep with my new fx4????

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Personally? I don't get that part.

But people are right or wrong sometimes. Suggesting that a towbar is safe on an icy road is obviously wrong. It defies my imagination that anyone would support flat towing. And being as I have done it and definately been pushed around--like jack-knifed in the rain, not even ice.

I have to conclude you are a god.

That's not me taking it personally. That's you being a god. I am glad to have known you, even if it were just through these few lines of text we have exchanged. And I'm glad you are out there keeping watch over the people that might follow your advice.

Because for mortals, the steering box is a problem and causes trouble for us when we are making turns. Often, the vehicle we are towing is slow to follow us and can push the ass end of our truck because the front tires of the towed vehicle haven't caught up with us yet. I mean, I've only experienced this, I haven't gotten any real evidence of the trait. But I know one person that owns a motorhome, and is on this forum, and has also noticed the effect in a 34' motorhome with a tiny vehicle in tow.

But that you can do it on an icy road with the same size vehicle, that is special. And I'm glad to know you for it. Honestly. Now I know I was doing something wrong when I have done it. Next time, I'll do it better. I'll do it your way--the right way. probably, my steering box needs better lubrication so it can respond better the wrong way up the steering column.

A dolly, as opposed to a flat tow, had a pivot plate. This is because the steering box in a vehcle sucks in its response time. Only on RVs should towbars be used--unless it's an emergency. An RV with 10,000# on the rear axle isn't going to have any problem dealing with the side forces a car hooked to your car that is trying to push your ass end out in a PIT manuever

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im sorry you have so much hostility towards me. i value your opinions, will, and would speak well of you if asked. itd be nice to get some respect in return.

we have two different opinions. its as simple as that. i think flat towing can be done safely based on my experience with it. you think it cant be done safely based on your experience with it. maybe im a better driver than you...but i doubt it. maybe im dumber than you...but i doubt that too.

a dolly is better, theres no arguement there...particularly if it has surge brakes.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not hostile toward you. I am being a little bit of a jackass because I don't want inexperienced people to think that flat towing is a good idea. We all do things that we shouldn't recommend to other people, and for us it's probably safe. It's tempting to think you can buy a $100 towbar and you're good to go--I did this in 2003 when I bought my Bronco and I ended up sideways in an intersection--as I said. It's dangerous, plain and simple. With a thorough knowledge of what is going on and a feel for the vehicle combination, anything is doable, but it doesn't mean someone without any experience should do it. People come here looking for advice and expect responsible advice. You have to assume the someone asking has no experience.

Look at a farm wagon. They do not attempt to force the front wheels to follow you, they steer them. If they don't do this the front tires aren't going to follow you very well and could even end up skipping sideways in a rut. A vehicle isn't meant to be drug around from the front. The steering geometry isn't there and the resistance in the box gives slow response. And there are no brakes unless you buy $1,000 worth of RV gear.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i see your point about inexperienced drivers...and maybe this isnt something you should try if youve never towed before. but at the same time, theres only one way to gain experience...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals