• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow rating

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I know this isnt a ranger but, you guys have been really helpful on here. I need to know the towing capicaity of a 1980 f150?

Ive looked in alot of places and cant seem to find it. I looking at buying it to haul my new trailer but have no idea what the towing on it is.

Thanks in advanced.

mrbbbaggins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Saw your question here. I can't give you an exact answer about this one, because I don't know the exact options package, but from previous experience I would say your towing capacity is somewhere in the 5000-6500lb range. The 1980 F150 is usually rated as a half ton pickup so rated towing capacity probably won't exceed the trucks weight plus max onboard payload. One other thing you should know, you should look into an aftermarket hitch. It's usually a bit safer than pulling with the original bumper hitches on most trucks, no matter the make or model. Hope that helps a little.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
From what the guy told me its a 302 5.0, automatic, its bumper pull but I was planning on getting a hitch anyways.

mrbbbaggins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well..., although not exactly what we're looking for, that does help a little. Since he just gave you truck specs, and no package name, it suggests that this is a basic model. Therefore you shouldn't expect it to be comfortable with more than 5000lb in stock trim. If your trailer is right around 5000lb or under, happy towing. If your trailer is heavier than that, I would suggest one of the following courses of action. First if you are intent on using this particular truck, invest in; overload springs, a transmission cooler, an oil cooler, and possibly a bigger radiator. You may also want to go to the next lower(numerically higher) axle gear ratio, to avoid taxing your engine too much. If you are not set on this particular truck, find a good 3/4 ton truck. I'm afraid that's all I can offer you for assistance without getting into guesswork. Once again, I hope it helps.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
It does, im not set on this truck, it was one that I came across. I need at least 7000lb in towing, so the search continues. I will look into a 3/4 ton. Thanks for helping.

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It does, im not set on this truck, it was one that I came across. I need at least 7000lb in towing, so the search continues. I will look into a 3/4 ton. Thanks for helping.
You should be able to get 7000# in a half tonne. But you would have to get a newer one.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Yea, im trying to stay away from newer ones because, im only useing it for towing. I use my ranger for daily driving.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd get a truck with something over 7,000# GVWR. I hate using the generic 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton etc.. It's stupid because any modern 1/2 ton weighs more empty tan the full loaded weight of a mid 60's 1/2 ton. A well equipped modern 1/2 ton is much more capable than a 70's or 80's 3/4-ton. I would look at the GVWR and judge it from that--just like you do on a big truck. Something around 7,000# GVWR would qualify as a 3/4-ton in the 80s and a heavy half-ton in the modern era. That's what you need. A truck with less grit is too soggy in the rear and would need too much work to give you a good feeling with 7,000# on the bumper. Also, get as much wheelbase as you can. It matters a lot.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, wheelbase--like an extended cab longbed is better than a Regular cab longbed.

I haven't found a dually to feel more stabile than a SRW truck. The extra tires are on there for weight carrying--a standard 250/350 truck tire is a 235-85-16 and is rated for 3,042# at 80psi. Any HD SRW truck will have a 6,084# rear axle rating. The springs are about the same width apart and the motion of the trailer is around the springs, not the tire contact. But think about the ratio of the distance between the hitch and the rear axle and the front axle and the rear axle. The rear axle is the teeter-toter point that the weight on the front and the tongue weight wrestle around. The longer the lever arm of the truck the less action the trailer ha son it. This is why a gooseneck is so stable--the hitch has zero or even negative lever arm so the trailer doesn't have any power to thrash the truck with.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I see what your saying, thanks for that. I did'nt even know, learn something new everyday.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That 1980 F150 will handle 7000lbs no problem.

Get a set of 3/4 ton leaf springs and put under it and a bigger trans cooler you'll be fine.

I pull 6700lbs with my 96 4x4 pretty regular (there isnt much difference between a 80 and 96) and its got a 300 with an auto, all i did was put in 3/4 ton leafs in back and it handles it just fine.

Also, Will thinks anything made before 97 (Unless its a 6.2L) is junk.

I will never believe a modern half ton is half as capable as a 70's-80s 3/4 ton.

later,
Dustin

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Becasue there not.

The only reason the GVW's are lower on the old ones are because of the braking systems.

The frame, axles, trannys, and motors were all stronger.

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's not true. I can of course plaster the walls in this thread with documentation on it but you still wouldn't accept it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals