• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tool advice

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm just wondering what everyone out there's favorite tool company is, or what specific tools you have found that one company makes better than another, and why. Over the next few years I'm going to be making a huge investment in tools as I'm going to school for heavy Diesel mechanics :headbang: The school has Matco, Mac, Snap-On, Craftsman and Cornwell tools lined up to come give sales pitches next week, but because they are only going to bring basic tools to sample, I'm just wondering what y'all have experienced good and bad about the different companies, or any others I may wanna check into. Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated, Thanks!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
craftsman are affordable and quality, first place i go when i need something.

anything else i buy stuff i can't get anywhere else.

snap on usually wants to sell me a set of 4 1/4" extensions for over $100 or a tiny 1/4" socket set for $300+. other companies are just as bad

however the snap on 3/8" impact gun and 1/2" impact gun are unbeatable and are fairly priced. get those 2 guns and craftsman impact swivels and you'll be good to go.

harbor freight is great for impact sockets, in 3 years i've broken 1 socket... and that was after multiple punishing uses. the 3/4" impact finally split it in half. cheapo wrenches are great to have on hand to be able to bend and cut to make specialty wrenches that you don't care about

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Craftsman stuff these days seems to be absolute shit.

I use all Snap On at work. I like the tools, and you get what you pay for as with anything.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4Cyl, 2.9 EFI V6
Transmission
Manual
Craftsman boxes have gone down hill fast but I cant complain about their tools or their warranty! You can take any craftsman tool into any sears or kmart and they will replace it for free.. They even have to break a set if they dont have the tool.. you cant go wrong with any of the big three, Snapon, Craftsman, Mac. All of my electrical tools are cornwell though.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
Craftsman stuff these days seems to be absolute shit.

I use all Snap On at work. I like the tools, and you get what you pay for as with anything.
amen to that. i buy all snap on at work as well. where i break craftsman stuff my snap on replacement tool doesnt break. craftsman mini 250 piece box was a great starter box for doing stuff at home and going to the junkyard but for working on cars everyday.... snap on. mac has some great tools for the price but snap on always has the best tools and asking way too much money for it.

if we are talking price to quality ratio.... mac wins for sure but if you want the best tools on the market.... snap on

side note sasquatch ryda. your car list makes me smile. i have a 91 ranger, 97 ranger, 69 mustang convertible but no f series yet :( i am too broke.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Mac tool, Snap On tools are great...but too over priced. I have buddies who use them and they tell me they have had them break on them. Then, to get a tool replaced they have to wait for a rep to come by...etc. If you are a heavy line tech I would recomend spending the money for Snap On or Mac Tools. If you have the money to buy them....buy them.

Craftsman is what I have been using for years. I never had to replace a tool for it being broke. I took a 10 year old Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet back once and asked a question about why it was no rotating as fast as another one I had that was the same age. It was not defective, but the Sears tool guy just handed me a new one on the spot. I did not need a receipt...it was a Sears Craftsman tool. That was years ago. I have 2 Craftsman rolling tool boxes with rolling bearings in the drawers and they work so smooth still after 12 years. They still work like new. I never had a problem with them.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I would go with Craftsman or Stanley for home use. cheap, and Craftsman has a great warranty.

For being a professional mechanic, look at snap on and mac. to get started, I would buy the wrenches/ sockets that you will use the most from snap on, and get the rest from craftsman. As you get going and expand, buy the tools that you need for a specific job from snap on/ mac and replace the tools you break from craftsman/ stanley with snap on/mac.

And for the common size wrenches, make sure you have two of each size!

AJ

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I used to be a die hard Craftsman guy. Wouldn't have anything else. But lately the quality seems poor. I've been buying Stanley tools lately and they do just fine. I'm also a fan of cheap stuff from Harbor freight because if it breaks or you lose it, you're not out much. Buy in bulk.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to be a die hard Craftsman guy. Wouldn't have anything else. But lately the quality seems poor. I've been buying Stanley tools lately and they do just fine. I'm also a fan of cheap stuff from Harbor freight because if it breaks or you lose it, you're not out much. Buy in bulk.
Same here, I haven't had a problem with Craftsman, Stanley, or HF stuff as a whole. For the DIY guy they are great.

For a professional, you are going to want something off of a tool truck. (Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell...) Usually they give big discounts to people in school too. Both my brother and dad do it for a living, they prefer Snap-On to the others. We haven't had a Matco dealer for 15-20 years either though.

Last edited:

F8LBITE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have Craftsman, Mac and Snap-on. My personal preferences for various tools: Craftsman wrenches, Mac sockets, Mac and Snap-on torque wrenches, Mac or Snap-on dead blow hammers. For air tools I like IR.

What's nice about Mac or Snap-on ( used to be anyway) is the ability to carry a balance and make weekly payments.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Mac tool, Snap On tools are great...but too over priced. I have buddies who use them and they tell me they have had them break on them. Then, to get a tool replaced they have to wait for a rep to come by...etc. If you are a heavy line tech I would recomend spending the money for Snap On or Mac Tools. If you have the money to buy them....buy them.

The only time i wait for the truck is when its something unimportant. Anytime I need something right away, I call my Snap-on dealer on his cell. He's there within an hour. I've even called him on a Sunday and picked up stuff at his house. You have to remember, each dealer is his own company and in business for himself. They usually will do whatever it takes for a good customer.

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
if they offer you a 50-60% discount on snap-on like they did me when i was in college buy as much as you can afford. i still regret not buying a toolbox then. also if you have any idea where you'll be working ask the local shops who has the best truck to come around and buy from that company. nothing more frustrating than not being able to warranty your tools or waiting forever for something that shoulda been in stock.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
The only time i wait for the truck is when its something unimportant. Anytime I need something right away, I call my Snap-on dealer on his cell. He's there within an hour. I've even called him on a Sunday and picked up stuff at his house. You have to remember, each dealer is his own company and in business for himself. They usually will do whatever it takes for a good customer.
Cool for you, Bro. Glad that is what happens whre you are. Not here in Florida. Some friends who work for Chevy, Ford, and Jeep and have been there for forever...but they tell me they still have to wait until the rep comes the next week. That is Snap On policy they tell me. The tools are usually replaced.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool for you, Bro. Glad that is what happens whre you are. Not here in Florida. Some friends who work for Chevy, Ford, and Jeep and have been there for forever...but they tell me they still have to wait until the rep comes the next week. That is Snap On policy they tell me. The tools are usually replaced.
All depends on the rep.

Out here in the sticks they have a route, we know a couple shops ahead of us on the route so we can get stuff quicker through them.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
if they offer you a 50-60% discount on snap-on like they did me when i was in college buy as much as you can afford. i still regret not buying a toolbox then. also if you have any idea where you'll be working ask the local shops who has the best truck to come around and buy from that company. nothing more frustrating than not being able to warranty your tools or waiting forever for something that shoulda been in stock.
Yeah,I went to UTI and I definitely wish I would have bought up a bunch of tools and box when I had a 50% discount...oh well.
I love Snap-On very expensive but very high quality...and it does depend on the guy on the truck. However, it sucks bad when a tool guy goes out of business. I carried a MAc ratchet in my truck for 2yrs before I got it replaced..
Craftsman sockets and wrenches will get you through, but once you use a Snap-on 80 ratchet everything else is junk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals