• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing belt need changing?

1967c10

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone, I am a newb so go easy:) I just picked up a '00 with the 2.5 and was wondering if there is a timing belt that might need changing? I know on alot of 4cyl motors there is some kind of belt that should be changed at or before 100k I have 86k on it now and was wondering if it is somthing I should tackle. As long as I am at it, is there anything else I should know about that is a defininate must replace soon or just the usual, plugs, wires, belt etc...? Thanks!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there is a belt and i would recommend changing it sooner then later. i believe your engine is of a non-interference design...but having a timing belt go without warning is somewhat of an inconvenience. :)

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a '00 with the 2.5 and was wondering if there is a timing belt that might need changing?
Wouldn't bother with the belt just yet. Odds are you won't see any problems with the belt till you break 125k or higher. I would look at the plugs certainly and perhaps a new wire set to boot.

T.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I would replace it soon. My 1990 2.3 (Same engine as yours, minus the stroker crank) started squealing at or above 2500 RPMs so I had good incentive to get it done.

It's a pretty easy job being a rear wheel drive vehicle. Just pop the accessory belt, the fan, and the timing belt cover off and switch it out. Just be sure you get the timing correct.

It took me about 2 hours to do the job but I'm a pretty experienced driveway mechanic.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would replace it soon. My 1990 2.3 (Same engine as yours, minus the stroker crank) started squealing at or above 2500 RPMs so I had good incentive to get it done.
Have to remember though...your belt was quite a bit older...1990 vs. 2000 and you had an indication that it 'needed' to be changed. You made a wise choice to change it out but his case may be little different. I try and take the path of "if it ain't broke...." well you know the rest. Believe some of the older style belts required changing earlier also (less miles).

Course it would have taken me an entire day to do it...or longer. Judgement call given your circumstances and desire to be proactive on the maintenance I suppose.

T.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i figure $10 and an hour spent wrenching is better then: getting stranded, calling a tow company, paying the tow, hitching a ride to the parts store, spending a day without a ride because the belt wasnt in stock, hitching a ride back to pick up the belt, and resetting the timing.

maybe thats just me :D

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i figure $10 and an hour spent wrenching is better then: getting stranded, calling a tow company, paying the tow, hitching a ride to the parts store, spending a day without a ride because the belt wasnt in stock, hitching a ride back to pick up the belt, and resetting the timing.

maybe thats just me :D
Well...I figure the odds of most people swapping the belt in an hour is pretty slim, the odds of finding the belt for $10 is pretty slim, and the odds of his belt breaking at less than 125k miles is probably slimmer than the other two.

Ah what the heck...let it ride and go love on the wife or girlfriend! :drool:

T.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
247,000+ on the original belt. No squeals, minimal cracks, no hesitation.

But yes, I will be swapping it out when I get home :)

htgreen3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It isn't hard to do, I did it at 75,000 on our 1999, spent a Saturday doing the belts, plugs, radiator flush and all the fluids. By the way, the plugs were the hardest. The only issue I had was getting the idler pulley retracted to get the new belt back on. Have fun, if you don't like doing the Ranger, try a Dodge Mini-Van, you will think the Ranger was a piece of cake.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Was it the tensioner pulley you had trouble with? If it was, just slip a big open-end wrench over the end of the arm for leverage.

It's really easy to eyeball the timing belt; if it looks fine you leave it alone, and if it's frayed or cracked it's time to replace it. The earlier belts for square-teeth gears are also more prone to wear on the inside of the belt, so you want to look at that, too.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
As for cost mine was 14.99 at autozone for their high quality part (duralast I think). I've seen them as cheap as 6.99 elsewhere though.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
247,000+ on the original belt. No squeals, minimal cracks, no hesitation.
The recommended service interval for '74-'89 (square tooth) motors is 60K miles, '90+ (round tooth) motors is 100K miles, your extremely lucky, if that is the original belt.

Was it the tensioner pulley you had trouble with? If it was, just slip a big open-end wrench over the end of the arm for leverage.
I believe he is refering to the timing belt tensioner, a medium sized crowbar or tire iron works well for that.

debogus

Reaction score
Beauklahoma,peoples republic of Kommiefornia
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also its not the miles of use that does them in but the age.

On the 93 on 2.3 you have to pull the power steering bracket as it blocks the removal of the timing cover. I have my cover cut in half so I can pull just the top half to check and adjust the belt.

The next belt change I think I'm going to cut off that piece of engine block that makes you pull the balancer to change the belt.

The old 2 liter pinto motors didn't have this problem. You could change the belt in 15 minutes on the side of the road.
But the rangers fuel injected super pinto motor is a different story.
The first change took me half a day.
Now it takes me one hour.
If I did it for money, only a half hour or less.

Every 2 yrs whether it needs it or not

Remember to check the tension often ,it will warn you of impending failure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals