• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thump Thump Thump

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ARRGGGHHHH Yeah i'm a little frustrated right now. Friday after class my truck developed this terrible thump thump thump noise. I pulled out of the parking lot and it just started. As i speed up it speeds up as i slow down it slows down... So i got out on the side of the road and didn't notice anything terribly obvious or major hanging off the truck or anything like that so i made the short drive home praying that the truck makes it. I arrive home and notice the ujoint i had been meaning to replace was worse i thought no big deal and replaced it the first chance i got (today) anyways my terrible thump thump thump is still there! Very loud and im not driving the truck till i at least figure out the problem. I have a very bad feeling my rear end might have bit the dust. Any suggestions though? The truck doesn't do it in park so that rules out an engine issue. I checked front brakes just a few minutes ago, but got on here to rant before checking the rears. I pray i find this problem soon as i really need my truck! Any ideas???

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
i had something similer an it turns out that when i used my e brake it wouldnt full disengage so the rear brake shoes would caught the drum an kinda jerk the truck an make a clunk clunk, or you might have another bad u joint.

snoopdoggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9 2.9 4.0 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Put it up on stands and spin each wheel, one at a time, by hand. Then run it, slowly, and listen.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Broken belt in a tire?

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Problems are multiplying im about ready to go get some matches! Fuel pump is not engaging! Was about to try snoopdoggie's idea praying that it was a broken belt in a tire. (not sure how loud of sound that would make) This sound is all the time and happened just all of a sudden it didn't start out soft then get to this stage. I doubt it is my ebrake cause the only time i use it is when im crawling under to check something out and that had been a few weeks. Definitely not another ujoint lol

Ok I traded out relays with the other ones and no change forgot about the inertia switch till i got in here but really doubt that i triggered it. Who knows.

Last edited:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can you pinpoint a general area where it might be coming from?

Please don't be insulted, but are you sure all your lugs are tight?

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Can you pinpoint a general area where it might be coming from?

Please don't be insulted, but are you sure all your lugs are tight?
that was my thunk problem. is it louder on turns and/or acceleration?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
check your wheel bearings too. that sounds a lot like the sounds they make when they go, and they can fail with no real warning.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking wheel bearing, too. I've only had one experience with a bad wheel bearing (on my ZX2, not the Ranger) but it started out as a slight whine, developed into a loud roar, and really didn't start thumping until the very end. It was a gradual death. Graff said the noise started suddenly, so I didn't mention bearings, but it is a possibility...

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok the truck at least starts now not sure why but just fired up this morning when i went back out there. Im going to go jack up my rear tires like snoopiedoggie said as soon as i walk back to the house and eat and hopefully find something. Maybe take somebody else for a very short ride to see if they can tell me a general area where the noise is coming from. To me it seems like it is coming from everywhere, but thats one thing that im never good at figuring out. Lugs are all on tight I checked them less than a week ago and all where nice and tight. I guess double checking couldn't hurt though.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sometimes you can isolate the problem putting it in neutral while driving and sees if anything changes . if it is the front wheel bearings not much should change when you put it in neutral but if it is the ujoints or rearend it should change a little....etc.etc..

I know this very simple thinking but that is my specialty .........lol

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im thinkin a steel belt as well. My expedition got this thump and no visible sign or vibration till the bubble formed in the tire. I thought I needed an alignment bad, but the alignment shop wouldnt do one. They said the sympton was a bubble in the tire and a busted belt. Sho nuff.

kerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Check the wheels & tires carefully. Mud, part of a stick, ice/snow can throw the wheel out of balance enough to cause the thumping.

2 mazdas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Automatic
thump thump thump

hey i saw your post on here i just had the same problem if it has the two piece drive shaft check the carrier (or center support bearing) mine was bad and i replaced it and now it's fine can almost guarntee it let me know what you find out

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
somebody didnt play a prank on you and tie somethin around your driveshaft did they?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals