• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Cable

Pokey427

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I need some help locating a replacement throttle cable for my 1990 Ranger with the 4.0L. Apparently there are two cables, and one malfunctioned several years ago and left me stranded. Towed to the Ford dealership and their "fix" was to cut the cable with some wire cutters and leave it with just the one cable. At that time they advised that they could not order a replacement cable, and the service manual did not have a work around. Well now my second cable has broken and the shop cannot locate a replacement. They are trying to locate a generic cable that maybe can be modified, but so far no luck. Ideas, or suggestions where I can get a replacement? I'm stuck. Thank you

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What about cable used for bicycles? Swedge the one end with the appropriate end and cut to length and swedge on the other. Depending on the cable ends used, you might be able to use the existing end and just work with the other one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

There is only 1 "throttle cable" for the gas pedal
There can be a 2nd "Cruise Control cable" attached to the throttle linkage

Picture here of a single cable hook up, no cruise control: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/217528d1683053137-throttle-cable-throttle-body-how-do-i-remove-bpwggok.jpg

Picture here of the 2 cable hookup, with cruise control: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/general-ford-ranger-discussion-15/178785d1501427520-how-do-you-remove-throttle-cable-p7190004.jpg

The end of one cable is broken, obviously, lol

What broke on your 1990 4.0l Ranger the first time?
Was it the cable itself, like in the picture?
Or was it the throttle linkage, the connection to hook up the end of the cable?

Ford dealer would have had, or been able to get a new gas pedal throttle cable, they are still available, F1TZ-9A758-F

Last edited:

Pokey427

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure you are correct. I don't spend much time under the hood of this vehicle so i may not be accurately describing, but the first time, the cruise control cable got stuck and they had to cut a cable. Now I have in the shop because it lost complete power. Engine starts and runs, but no power. Shop advised that the "throttle cable" broke. Thank you for the gas pedal throttle cable part number. I will see if this is what they are looking for. Thanks once again for the help.

Pokey427

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Still no luck. The part number provided by RonD does not fit a 1990 Ranger 4.0L according to all I can find on the internet.
NTSB issued a recall #89V234000 Dec 11, 1989 for sticking throttle cables on this vehicle with this motor. The fix was a revised air inlet tube to increase the throttle lever-to-inlet tube clearance. But I cannot find part numbers for anything. But for now, I just need to find a replacement throttle cable that fits the 1990 4.0L Ranger. Again, any generic cable suggestions that might be modified may help. Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Odd F1TZ-9A758-F won't work, listed for 1991-1994 4.0l, 1990 was the 1st year for Rangers with 4.0l, as far as I know Ford used the same throttle body, 1990-1994, probably thru 2000

The NTSB was for the Air Inlet Tube, not throttle body, its the larger black plastic tube that runs from air cleaner box to the top/front of the intake/upper engine

Do you know what part of the throttle cable broke?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals