• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking out Loud about Old and new Rangers: Three Schools

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Not long ago, I had a very interesting conversation with a friend who spent most of his career on the Ranger assembly line. He really enjoyed his work. After he retired, he spent his time restoring and selling Gen IIs. He's got a three car garage with a second floor, most of it packed with Ranger parts.

He said that there are three different schools of thought for Ranger owners. The first is the most common. That a truck is just another tool: hauls sod, works on the farm, carries lumber every day. These are worked hard, very hard: seldom washed, never waxed, repaired the cheapest fastest way, never with a second thought. I'll never forget the Rangers that work at a local Upull. Resurrected from junk, they are not much to look at, badly rusting out. One is made from a number of different color body panels which might even be taped or wired on. Say whatever you want, there is a certain beauty here. These trucks are survivors, not at all pampered. They still turn in a good day's work. I bought a cheap old rusty-but-trusty and drove it for many years.

The second school is a rarer breed. These are men and women who implicitly understand that they are driving what has been (or will be) declared an antique. They are into restoration and preservation. They buy OEM, New Old Stock whenever they can, or scour the bone yards looking for a still pristine, but dated, old part. They tend to be purests. My friend from the assembly line wasn't at all impressed when one day, I showed up with new aftermarket wheels and oversize tires. Then there was another occasion when I put on fender flares. "They should never go on a step side." he told me. If this is you, then watch the Sarah-n-Tune series on You Tube. You will love it, even find some inspiration there.

Rarer yet are those who ignore the purists, totally make theirs over, just because its fun. They see theirs as a blank canvas, a beginning point to cut and weld with no regard for looks in order to race the big Baja race. Maybe too they lift them up impossibly high, bolt on big bumpers, roll bars, and the biggest winch they can afford. Or maybe they go in the opposite direction, do a truxarosa build. This is definitely not me. I don't have the talent, the time, or the money.

Personally I love all three schools of thought. They each have a special place in the great big Ranger dream, a dream we have all dreamed at one time or another. One way or the other, we make our trucks over as they age. Working men patch them up like a two bit prize fighter, and keep them working hard, even if just for another year or week. Or we dress them up,live the grand homecoming dream of the very first day, that special day when they rolled off the dealer's lot. Or maybe, just maybe, we get creative and crazy, the more outrageous the better, just because we can.

Which school of thought are you?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I guess I'm in the second category. I keep mine clean and shiny but some here will tell you that I'm not afraid to get them dirty either.
I do a clean build with minor but functional mods, to me the less obvious the better. I'm not made of money so big lift kits and tires are out and it wouldn't fit in my garage anyway If I did.
You'd have to really know your Ranger shit to spot what's different on mine, which is how I like it.
I was just telling someone the other day that my vehicles (including my wife's) are always clean and detailed because that's what I like, it's my hobby.
There is a retired Ford engineer on another Ranger board I belong to who worked on Rangers quite a bit and he allows that when he sees an old battered Ranger with a bazillion miles on it still trucking down the road, it makes him proud as hell that he did his job well.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I guess I'm in the second category. I keep mine clean and shiny but some here will tell you that I'm not afraid to get them dirty either.
I do a clean build with minor but functional mods, to me the less obvious the better. I'm not made of money so big lift kits and tires are out and it wouldn't fit in my garage anyway If I did.
You'd have to really know your Ranger shit to spot what's different on mine, which is how I like it.
I was just telling someone the other day that my vehicles (including my wife's) are always clean and detailed because that's what I like, it's my hobby.
Post a foto?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Post a foto?
My old '08 Sport Trac at the Carlisle Ford Nationals showfield in 2019. It turned 200,000 miles on the way there.
ST_Carlisle_2019.jpg

Current 2020 Ranger at Carlisle this year with a little extra spit shine on it.

Ranger_Carlisle_2022.jpg

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good post, and your friend has a good assessment, in my opinion.

I'm a 2, but I can also appreciate the 1s and 3s.

Can this be turned into a poll?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm a mix of one and two I guess. I work my Ranger harder than most (towing scrap to the recycler, hauling yard debris to the dump, transporting pool chemicals, bringing home appliances and furniture, home depot runs, loads of dirt, rare heavy car pars delivery, and stuff for family holiday get togethers.)

The paint is literally flaking off the roof like a bad case of dandruff but I sand it down and rub in some rust converter/preventer before spraying on color matching paint. (I had it detailed properly before the paint started peeling, now I wax it myself in the winter,)

When I have the oil changed, I go full synthetic and change it at 3,000 mile intervals. I had the cooling system flushed as well as replace the thermostat housing with an aluminum housing for longevity.

I know they will never make them like this again and want ot to last, but I need it to be a truck.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a mix of one and two I guess. I work my Ranger harder than most (towing scrap to the recycler, hauling yard debris to the dump, transporting pool chemicals, bringing home appliances and furniture, home depot runs, loads of dirt, rare heavy car pars delivery, and stuff for family holiday get togethers.)

The paint is literally flaking off the roof like a bad case of dandruff but I sand it down and rub in some rust converter/preventer before spraying on color matching paint. (I had it detailed properly before the paint started peeling, now I wax it myself in the winter,)

When I have the oil changed, I go full synthetic and change it at 3,000 mile intervals. I had the cooling system flushed as well as replace the thermostat housing with an aluminum housing for longevity.

I know they will never make them like this again and want ot to last, but I need it to be a truck.
Picture?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think my avatar kinda speaks volumes… :icon_rofl: :icon_welder:

That said, I find myself a mix of them, kinda depends. My choptop heads towards the wilds of #3. My 92 was received in a bit of a beat condition and I took the #1 approach with a little love. My green Ranger and F-150 are not so much strictly OEM, but they so far have been built to appear stock-ish.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Well...
I try to keep it shiny........
use it like a Truck...
and modify it a BUNCH........

Streetrod Banner 2014 Texas AGPETE (4).JPG

15218551950681849450948.jpg

Streetrod Banner  2010 Miss 4oB2 (5).JPG

(then the PTSD got bad...I got Stupied.... I sold it ;brownbag; )

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals