• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about buying a metal garage???

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thinking about buying one of those metal garages installed on your ready site. :icon_confused: I talked to the guy today and he said I could get a 24x31 with 2 garage doors and a regular door with 10 foot walls and insulated installed on my slab with tax and all for around $5400. What do you all think, or what is your experience with them. I have a friend who owns his own metal framing business and me and him could build it together out of metal studs, but he is always to busy. And it's cold and I need a garage! Let me know. Thanks:icon_thumby:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have no experience with them,but i've looked at their ad's.i know i have about $2500 into my 14x28 tarp shed.....if it's for real the metal shed sounds like a good deal.

why don't you try it out and let every one else know if it's a good idea.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
i was looking around a bit too. not quite as extreme as i'm still renting. but it seems a guy could build a carport pretty cheap, throw some cables on the diagonals to keep it strong, then cover it with some thin corregated tin, would at least cover your head from rain!

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was looking around a bit too. not quite as extreme as i'm still renting. but it seems a guy could build a carport pretty cheap, throw some cables on the diagonals to keep it strong, then cover it with some thin corregated tin, would at least cover your head from rain!
thing is,my tarp shed is just a simple 2x4 frame with plastic stretched over it,and it still cost about the same per sq ft as the metal shed hatman's talking about.

it seems like it should be pretty cheap to get a roof over your head till you get building it and all the costs mount.i'm wondering if these tin buildings are the deal they advertise,or are there all kinds of hidden expenses that come with it.

if anyone has gone this route,let us know:icon_thumby:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Sounds like a reasonable price. The footer and floor is your responsibility and can be costly. I built my own garage 24x32 with 10' walls with a 16' garage door and a man door. 2x6 walls, insulated. Cost about $10,000.and I did all the work.

You could always do the footer, erect the building and pour the floor later.

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
My only experience is whatever you do is to build or have built the largest area that you can afford. It doesn't take long for that big empty space to start calling it's self home to things that you didn't want to keep in there taking up the valuable space you need/want for keeping and working on vehicles.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I know several people who have them and they are very pleased with them. One of my friends built his barn like style with a bathroom and living quarters (small kitchen area) for guest who come to stay for a few weeks. They are built to last. I am planning on getting a small one for our property to use as a cabin for guest. It will be 30ft wide x 40 ft long. It will be designed like a cabin with a front porch. It will be metal out side and plywood inside and have a loft. Sort of like a two story cabin. I have a cost of aprox $4,200 to have it put together and then I have to run elctricity to it. I can use a wall mounted ac/heater units insted of a central unit and save money!!!

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know several people who have them and they are very pleased with them. One of my friends built his barn like style with a bathroom and living quarters (small kitchen area) for guest who come to stay for a few weeks. They are built to last. I am planning on getting a small one for our property to use as a cabin for guest. It will be 30ft wide x 40 ft long. It will be designed like a cabin with a front porch. It will be metal out side and plywood inside and have a loft. Sort of like a two story cabin. I have a cost of aprox $4,200 to have it put together and then I have to run elctricity to it. I can use a wall mounted ac/heater units insted of a central unit and save money!!!
That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. I've always wanted to do something like that. I'm sure once it's all said and done, it will cost quite a bit, but totally worth it!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are we talkinig a carport or a pole building?

We sell carports, aside from one guy cheaping out on the anchors on his stupidly tall carport we haven't had an issue with them.

Our demo one has taken every storm that mother nature has thrown at it over the last 10 years and still looks great.

If you get one, get the heavier tube with all the bracing you can. Along with the best anchors so the thing doesn't get blown away.

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My only experience is whatever you do is to build or have built the largest area that you can afford. It doesn't take long for that big empty space to start calling it's self home to things that you didn't want to keep in there taking up the valuable space you need/want for keeping and working on vehicles.
this is a well known phenomenon.....i call it shop creep,as the outer edges of the workspace creep inward from the walls when junk is stored at the perimiter.

seems it doesn't matter how much space you start with,it will always fill to the point that you can barely get a truck inside.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, I'm renting a old dairy barn; 50'x500'. 2 years and it's starting to get tight.

Richard

Edit; not really, but another two years....

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Get a good quality garage....insulated.....my brotherinlaw's metal garage is GREAT.....he had extra concrete poured on one side to park his truck on when he's throwing a party in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
this is a well known phenomenon.....i call it shop creep,as the outer edges of the workspace creep inward from the walls when junk is stored at the perimiter.

seems it doesn't matter how much space you start with,it will always fill to the point that you can barely get a truck inside.

LOL......You should try living on a Submarine as I did before!!! That is what I call wall creep!!! You work space and living space starts to creep up on you and you have no place to go!!!

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kool, thanks for the input guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals