• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tech questions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It feel like I'm posting all the time. Hopefully I'm not annoying anyone.

Ok so I drive a lot of the cars that come through our shop. None of them give me the seat of your pants feel like my 4.0ohv. Why is this? My engine has 209k on it and its the first 4.0 ford had. I can do burnouts and donuts all day, its quite fascinating.(my stock 8.8 probly helps though)

here's my old question but revised. Apparently ford tuned the 4.0ohv all the way to riceville and back. I learned that apparently the port n polish/bigger cam builds will neggate some of you low end. And it first the 4.0 started its life as a 2.8 then 2.9 and then ford got crazy and bored/stroked it almost as much as possible. Is there any real thing to do to boost low and high end?

I love the tourqe out of my 4.0. I don't want to lose a bit of it. I have the little tick problem but onces she's warmed up its gone. I just havnt torn it down to replace rocker/pushrods yet. Doubt the hydro roller lifters are shot though.

I'm 19 but I'm way past oil changes. Im just trying to keep my truck on the road...possibly forever.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The 4.0 OHV has good low-end torque. That's what you're feeling. The 4.0 SOHC makes more total torque but at a higher rpm.
Typically things you do to boost the low-end will hurt the high-end and vice versa.
I would buy or fab a true cold air intake (i.e. a heat shield around the filter, otherwise you have a hot air intake), headers, cat-back exhaust, and a chip or tuner.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 OHV has good low-end torque. That's what you're feeling. The 4.0 SOHC makes more total torque but at a higher rpm.
Typically things you do to boost the low-end will hurt the high-end and vice versa.
I would buy or fab a true cold air intake (i.e. a heat shield around the filter, otherwise you have a hot air intake), headers, cat-back exhaust, and a chip or tuner.
Id go pull a sohc outa the local junkyard but id probobaly need the harness and computer; not to mention a transmission. And I doubt the computer would like me leaving all the sensors the sohc unhooked.

Yeah I know about low rpm and high rpm balance. I've got cat back duals and a k&n box filter.(not to mention regular tune up material) truethfully I got more out of a fan and fan clutch than anything. I know all about cai, guys who leave the cone right off the maf thinking they're getting more power LOL. Haven't done headers yet. Need too, I'm all about making it breethe better.

Its probobly going to stay the way the way it is. Its stock self seems unbeatable. But me a4ld just took the big sleep.:bawling:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals